SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Oh, this is going to be good. It's about time. RICO stuff

https://www.foxnews.com/us/col...trance-exam-cheating

College these days is worthless anyway. As Alan Dershowitz pointed out, no one in college even gets C grades anymore, if they're graded at all.

Scam, huge scam. Little know-nothings getting a degree for a bribe from mummy and deddy.

Love it. Pull the shit down. Pull all of it down. It stinks from top to bottom.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
$500K bribe to get into USC?

Not very ambitious. For that kind of money, I would demand Ivy League.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This thing has everything. Hollywood, business leaders, smug college faculty members, wealthy elitist parents and their snowflake children...

It's a scorcher!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin charged. Excellent

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the irony. As we all know, these are precisely the same folks that want to preach to us that our morals are misplaced.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The elite demonstrating, once again, that all of the totalitarian rules they want to place on the country are only meant for the little people.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I read the article then rushed over here to see if there was commentary yet.

It has been a really long couple of weeks at work and I'm really tired but while crappy, I guess I'm missing the criminal part.

Plus, rich assholes have been buying admissions in to top schools for their dim children for ever. Stupid, yes but criminal? I guess I'm too tired.

I know that most of these schools accept financial aid from the.gov but other than that aren't they private institutions?

Like I said, I'm tired but I don't get it.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

It has been a really long couple of weeks at work and I'm really tired but while crappy, I guess I'm missing the criminal part.

Plus, rich assholes have been buying admissions in to top schools for their dim children for ever. Stupid, yes but criminal? I guess I'm too tired.

I know that most of these schools accept financial aid from the.gov but other than that aren't they private institutions?

Like the prosecutor said, this goes way beyond simply donating a building to give your child a favorable chance at admission. This involved elaborate cheating on tests, faked photos and videos to exaggerate a kid's athletic abilities (in some cases the kids never even played the sport they were admitted for), financial fraud, money laundering by using charities so that the bribes can be tax deductible...and on and on.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let’s see if Rush’s explanation helps. These people funneled “bribe” money through a charitable organization to get their kids into selective universities including USC, UCLA, Stanford, Yale, U Texas. I believe, in the case of Lori Laughlin’s daughters, they were ostensibly accepted into USC to row on the crew team. They were not Div 1 rowers, and apparently as soon as admitted—quit the team.

The IRS is involved because the bribes were funneled through some charity; therefore, they were able to DEDUCT the bribe money from their taxes!

That’s a start. What do you think now?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
money laundering by using charities so that the bribes can be tax deductible...and on and on.

OK, that I can sink my teeth in to. And I see where that makes it federal. Just all the rest of it seems murky.

But, I'm popping a big bag of popcorn and will thoroughly enjoy the show.

Thanks Balzé

edited to add, thanks to TMats as well.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Like the prosecutor said, this goes way beyond simply donating a building to give your child a favorable chance at admission. This involved elaborate cheating on tests, faked photos and videos to exaggerate a kid's athletic abilities (in some cases the kids never even played the sport they were admitted for), financial fraud, money laundering by using charities so that the bribes can be tax deductible...and on and on.

That was what got me. The lengths people we're going to cheat the test. Either their kids are dumb as rocks, or suck at taking tests.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My first reaction is anger having worked my a$$ off in college to make good grades honestly Mad But hearing of it about these types of folks doesn't surprise me in the least. I am glad that from time to time they get nailed for this stuff though.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
This shit has been going on for a long time. I am glad it is coming to the surface. I am also glad to see the FBI doing their job, as they should. The FBI should not be a partisan organization.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg. It will be interesting to see how this sort of thing plays out. The part that is even funnier is that some of these colleges are not exactly difficult admissions.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are planning to become a Supreme Court Justice at some point, how much do "the best schools" really matter? I guess it might help with networking, but most fields outside of politics don't care about such things.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you are planning to become a Supreme Court Justice at some point, how much do "the best schools" really matter? I guess it might help with networking, but most fields outside of politics don't care about such things.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It still matters. Professionals school admittance in many cases. Of course with some of these "students" they need someone to take the college courses as well.

My two daughters competed in college level tennis, and such athletic frauds would be quickly determined. I can just imagine how silly some of them would look to the other students. I noticed they did not pick college football as a sport.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
90+% of the technical and managerial employees at the large, multinational petrochemical company where I work come from Top 20 engineering programs. If you can't get good grades competing against the nation's top engineering students you aren't likely to succeed in our environment. It's no guarantee they'll succeed, but it's a formula that has worked for many decades.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if the kids worked as hard within the system as they do ( often with their parents knowledge -and- help) to scam and pervert it, they would have achieved legitimate success.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

He would discuss with his clients what SAT or ACT score they desired for their children that were impressive but "not too impressive." He would then instruct Mark Riddell, of Palmetto, Florida, to take the exams for the students, or "replace the students' exam responses with his own." Riddell had been working with Singer since 2011, documents stated.

This Riddell dude probably can score pretty well on the SAT Wink

what do you want your kid's SAT score? 1600? Done.

1400? Riddell, mark a couple of wrong answers Smile

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post