SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
But I don't understand it all. Bribing someone to get into a state school? Around here, its almost automatic if you somehow managed to graduate from high school. Those kids must be really dumb!

Like saigonsuggler posted, in CA, state schools such as UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara are extremely difficult schools to get accepted into. For many in-state kids, a 4.0 GPA may not be enough for admission, especially if one is white or asian. Plus these schools are prestigious enough that out of state and international students clamor for the chance to attend one of these schools, and the admissions folks love this since they charge a lot more for tuition to those out of state.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Felicity Huffman requests to do her time at 'cushy' Dublin prison where she can sunbathe
quote:
elicity Huffman was sentenced to 14 days in federal prison Friday for her role in the massive college admissions scandal nicknamed "Operation Varsity Blues," and the "Desperate Housewives" actress requested to do her time at a Dublin prison deemed one of America's "cushiest."

Lawyers for Huffman asked that she serve time at Federal Correctional Institution Dublin, a minimum security federal prison for women. In 2009, FCI Dublin was named one of America's "10 cushiest prisons" by Forbes.

"Proximity to the Bay Area means gorgeous weather and easy travel options for visitors," Forbes wrote of the prison.

Huffman's lawyers argued FCI Dublin would make it easiest to see her Los Angeles-based family during those 14 days.

According to the inmate handbook, Huffman will be required to make her bed by 6:30 a.m. every weekday morning and by 10 a.m. every weekend.

In addition, inmates at FCI Dublin get at least one hour of recreation time a day, and Huffman can sunbathe if she so chooses since the facility has "sun decks" that are open on the weekends.

The prison also offers a number of hair care items available for checkout, including blow dryers, curling irons and hot plates. Haircuts and hair coloring are also permitted in FCI Dublin's "hair room."

Previous inmates at FCI Dublin include the "Hollywood Madam" Heidi Fleiss and Patty Hearst. TMZ reports Huffman plans to turn herself in to the prison on Oct. 25.

The actress was sentenced for paying $15,000 to alter her daughter's SAT scores, and issued a tearful apology after her sentencing.

"I was frightened, I was stupid, and I was so wrong," she said of her role in the scandal.

Hey...That's 10 minutes from my house. maybe I should visit her on Sunday Wink

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
{snip} .... and second putting them in a position where they may be over their depth and do poorly because they can’t hack it.

Um, this is why they chose USC, obviously. Eek

Oh. I thought the chose USC because University of Spoiled Children seemed like an appropriate spot for their kids.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah felicity got 14 days in club Fed down the freeway from me. Where patty Hearst and Jihad Johnny did time. I think she got a light sentence ( she’s still a felon) because she admitted to it and (acted) remorseful.

The parents fighting it and acting indignant -Lori Loughlin I’m looking at you - are gonna get the book thrown at them. She should have accepted the plea, done her 2 weeks and moved on. If a rich nobody got 5 months, a rich celeb is gonna get hammered.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Fed offered Lori 2 weeks.. it had to be worse than that as she did way more then Felicity.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Laughlin now facing additional charges....

good - keep piling on

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
But I don't understand it all. Bribing someone to get into a state school? Around here, its almost automatic if you somehow managed to graduate from high school. Those kids must be really dumb!

Like saigonsuggler posted, in CA, state schools such as UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara are extremely difficult schools to get accepted into. For many in-state kids, a 4.0 GPA may not be enough for admission, especially if one is white or asian. Plus these schools are prestigious enough that out of state and international students clamor for the chance to attend one of these schools, and the admissions folks love this since they charge a lot more for tuition to those out of state.

Actually those schools can be much easier to get into as a Sophmore or Junior. Due to high dropout rates among freshmen and sophmores, Unif. of Calif. schools accept many students from Jr. colleges.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Yeah felicity got 14 days in club Fed down the freeway from me. Where patty Hearst and Jihad Johnny did time.

Hmmmm ... inquiring minds want to know who chose her start date ...

She served 11 days of an initial 14-day sentence, with her early release coming because of a Bureau of Prisons rule that allows for early release when the original end date is set to happen over a weekend or holiday. The Bureau of Prisons reports that her scheduled release date was set for Sunday, Oct. 27.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/feli...5_null_headlines_hed

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Lori Loughlin Is ‘About to Break’ in the Wake of Additional Federal Charges

Oh please. Cry me a river.

quote:
“They feel like this is David versus Goliath,” says the source. “How do you go up against the federal government when the government has decided to make an example out of you? This stress is about to break them.”

Here's an idea - don't break the law. Not just little speeding 75 in a 70, but felonies.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If LL and her husband go to trial and are sympathetic to the jury, I wouldn't be surprised if the feds offer them a much better deal than they are facing now. The feds don't want an acquittal, and they know LL would cop a plea now.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Federal prosecutors are out of control. Im all for locking up criminals and throwing away the key. Some of these white collar crimes and the corresponding sentences are horrendous.

Here is but one example of a travesty of justice. 24 years for a pretty dumb blonde who just did as her husband asked and signed the forms for his business because he had a previous bankruptcy.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifes...free-at-last-1689979

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

Not only in CA, it happens here in FL, to get into a state school you have to be a minority, foreign student, then if there are any spots left....

Overseas students get first acceptance, they get no government grants, aid, and pay full out of state tuition...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/ka...varsity-blues-rolls/

A last-ditch effort was made by attorneys for Loughlin and Giannulli for a postponement due to newly acquired evidence that the legal team thinks may exonerate them. The request for postponement was denied

Their trial is set to begin on October 5. Jury selection will begin on September 28.

They will stand trial alongside six other parents charged in the scam: Gamal Abdelaziz, Diane Blake, Todd Blake, John Wilson, Homayoun Zadeh and Robert Zangrillo, the spokesperson said.

The eight-defendant trial means Boston’s federal courtroom will have row after row of defendants and their legal teams this fall, said Elie Honig, a CNN legal analyst and former federal and state prosecutor.

“A trial with eight defendants is going to take a long time. There’s just no way around that,” he said. “But (it’ll be) a heck of a lot shorter than eight one-defendant trials.”

Loughlin and Giannulli claim they were only making donations to USC

Prosecutors say the $500,000 — including $100,000 to former USC athletics official Donna Heinel and $400,000 to Singer’s fake charity — constituted illegal bribes. Heinel has pleaded not guilty and repeatedly has declined to comment. Singer has pleaded guilty to several charges and is cooperating with the prosecution in the case.

But attorneys for Loughlin and Giannulli have argued the money was part of a legitimate practice in which universities “regularly solicit donations from the families of prospective students” that can impact the students’ chances of admission. They have also accused prosecutors of withholding evidence that they say exonerates their clients.

The couple may have been naive but there are emails that show Giannulli bragging about working the system to get his daughters accepted into the school.

Parents who donate to fund a building or a fellowship for a visiting professor or some such reason is one thing

Parents paying someone not employed by the school (Rick Singer) who then cuts a deal with that school’s coaches to justify admittance for bogus athletic abilities is quite another thing

Singer cut a deal for himself and is cooperating with prosecutors.

Michelle Janavs, former executive of Chef America and heiress to the Hot Pocket fortune, was sentenced to five months in prison for paying $100,000 to fix her daughters’ college entrance exams and agreeing to pay twice that amount to sneak one girl into USC as a bogus beach volleyball player.

According to the LA Times, Janavs pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering, admitting that she paid a Newport Beach college admissions consultant to rig ACT exams for her daughters and bribe a USC administrator to misrepresent the older girl as an elite beach volleyball player.

In addition to serving five months behind bars Janavs must pay a fine of $250,000 and remain on supervised release for two years.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Parents who donate to fund a building or a fellowship for a visiting professor or some such reason is one thing

Parents paying someone not employed by the school (Rick Singer) who then cuts a deal with that school’s coaches to justify admittance for bogus athletic abilities is quite another thing

This is true, but maybe neither should be allowed. Both are examples of folks trying to buy their kids’ way in. The latter is corruption the schools (theoretically at least) don’t know about. The former is corruption the schools do know about. I’m not sure one is much better than the other.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The news reports now that she and her husband will plead guilty, pay a fine and get a short term visit to the gray bar hotel.

I think they are getting off too easy, the money is nothing to them and the sentence seems to short.

Link to story

US actress Lori Loughlin, of the sitcom Full House, and her husband, designer Mossimo Giuannulli, will plead guilty to college admissions scam charges.

They are among 50 people charged in an alleged criminal enterprise to get their children into top US schools.
The couple had initially pleaded not guilty to the fraud charges.
Officials say they have agreed to a plea deal of prison time, a fine, and community service under supervised release.

According to the District Attorneys office in Massachusetts, Ms Loughlin will plead guilty to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud "on a date to be specified by the Court".
Mr Giannulli will plead guilty to the same, plus one count of honest services wire and mail fraud.

Prosecutors had said Ms Loughlin and Mr Giannulli paid $500,000 (£408,000) in bribes to have their two daughters admitted into the University of Southern California (USC) as fake rowing-team recruits.

Under the terms of the deal, Ms Loughlin will serve two months in prison, pay $150,000 in fines, have two years of supervised release and complete 100 hours of community service.

Her husband's sentence is similar: he will serve five months in prison, pay $250,000 and must complete 250 hours of community service.
The pair will bring the total number of parents pleading guilty in the scam to 24.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And all of that to enhance the already fantasy-level lives of their two clueless, ungrateful, SPOILED LITTLE BRATS.

Take a guess what precious, precious Olivia Jade thought about when she heard that mummy and daddy are going to jail. Take a guess. C'mon, this is easy. She thought of what she always thinks of- what is most precious and special in all the world- naturally, she thought of herself and how this will affect her future.

And's what's Lori thinking of right now? Ten to one, she's having severe regrets about not taking contraceptives in the past.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
And's what's Lori thinking of right now? Ten to one, she's having severe regrets about not taking contraceptives in the past.

One would think contrition would be the natural thought, however since she's a member of the self-entitled media class, as a whole, wouldn't be surprised that she's aghast that she's been arrested and convicted, because she's a Tee Vee Star, don't they understand that rules don't apply to people like her?

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
What are the chances that their next step is to beg the court to allow them to serve their sentence time at home under house arrest, because of that awful scary covid virus? What is they caught the Chinese Virus in prison? Please let us serve our sentence under house arrest, pretty please? We're practically royalty!

Having to go to a real actual prison would be cruel and unusual punishment for them, and their home is palatial, comfortable, luxurious, and they have staff to cater to all their needs, no need to mix with the poor commoners who they most likely disdain.

Yeah, I detest people like them.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...The prison system does not consider transfers to home confinement to be “releases.” Such convicts are normally put on GPS monitoring, but Barr has waived that requirement for now because of the volume of transfers and the logistical difficulties related to the pandemic....

This could be why they took a plea now.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What are the chances that their next step is to beg the court to allow them to serve their sentence time at home under house arrest, because of that awful scary covid virus? What is they caught the Chinese Virus in prison? Please let us serve our sentence under house arrest, pretty please? We're practically royalty!

Having to go to a real actual prison would be cruel and unusual punishment for them, and their home is palatial, comfortable, luxurious, and they have staff to cater to all their needs, no need to mix with the poor commoners who they most likely disdain.

Yeah, I detest people like them.

I don't detest them at all. Not a bit. They've found success in life and I'd like you, me and everyone to have similar success too.

The punishment needs to be true punishment and sitting at home, like you said, isn't punishement for them but just another luxurious day of self confinement they're supposed to be under anyway. So yes, actual prison time, wearing the green PJs, would be appropriate for them.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post