SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
On the news this morning they said 1 person paid $6.5M but they are not identified in the court docs.

Hmmmm...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lori Loughlin is in the movie RAD!!
You all leave her alone or else Mad

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted on fraud and money laundering charges Tuesday in the multimillion-dollar college admissions cheating scam that has ensnared dozens of wealthy parents trying to get their kids into the nation's most prestigious colleges.

The "Fuller House" star and her husband, along with 14 other parents, were charged in Boston in a "second superseding indictment with conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering," the Department of Justice said in a statement to Fox News.

Loughlin and Giannulli were charged last month with conspiracy to commit mail fraud. The new indictment adds a money laundering charge for all 16 defendants.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...e-admissions-scandal

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Lori Loughlin is in the movie RAD!!
You all leave her alone or else Mad
Leave Lori alone!!!!

Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted on fraud and money laundering charges Tuesday in the multimillion-dollar college admissions cheating scam that has ensnared dozens of wealthy parents trying to get their kids into the nation's most prestigious colleges.

The "Fuller House" star and her husband, along with 14 other parents, were charged in Boston in a "second superseding indictment with conspiring to commit fraud and money laundering," the Department of Justice said in a statement to Fox News.

Loughlin and Giannulli were charged last month with conspiracy to commit mail fraud. The new indictment adds a money laundering charge for all 16 defendants.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...e-admissions-scandal

This is the "oh, so you aren't interested in pleading out and doing some jail time? Ok, we'll be in touch" - <CLICK> portion of negotiations.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
This might sound strange but I am SOOOOOO grateful that I never went to college. And that was back in the 60's. Today I think unless you're going to be a brain surgeon college is a scam. Take on a huge debt load and come out dumber than when you went in. In other words you're indoctrinated into the liberal way of thinking.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
This might sound strange but I am SOOOOOO grateful that I never went to college. And that was back in the 60's. Today I think unless you're going to be a brain surgeon college is a scam. Take on a huge debt load and come out dumber than when you went in. In other words you're indoctrinated into the liberal way of thinking.

Yeah, engineering, science, medicine, aviation are all part of the 'scam'... LMAO....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think you're taking the man just a smidge too literally, Rhino.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:

A lot of higher paid education is. (Not speaking of trade schools that teach real-world skills.) Degrees are far overvalued for by most people. And I believe most people seek degrees for resume padding, that's all. I work in the insurance business. We have a plethora of people that get BA/BS degrees on the company dime. And virtually buy their master's degrees online. And get all sorts of professional designations and titles. Most of them, in fact the vast majority of them, don't know a damned thing about their job or how to perform it. But they have a crap-load of titles and degrees.

I went to school back in the day when you had to physically go to a school, show up in class, learn and test and pass, and earn your degree. I never got a masters and never felt the need or desire for one. Now you can sign up for classes as shitholeuniveristyonline.com and for a mere $20,000 virtually buy a masters degree.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
But they have a crap-load of titles and degrees.

And as long as government agencies and private companies hire and promote for no reason other than that, or make it a minimum requirement for employment regardless of a degree’s relevance to the work, then people will continue to pursue them—and the least cost and effort involved, the better.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 2 college degrees, in neither of which have I ever worked. I attended a "streetcar college" (Wayne State in Detroit, Michigan)--a good enough school--to get a B. S. in Chemical Engineering. I was an AFROTC student (4 years back then) and immediated was commissioned a 2Lt; the Air Force made me a Radar Maintenance Officer (which should have involved a 51-week training course at Keesler AFB, Mississippi, but USAF goofed and forgot to send me to it). Then, 7 years into my career USAF sent me to USC (the one in California) for a M. S. in Industrial Engineering. I was never assigned to a job that required that, either. I won't say those were a total loss--I did learn some things that have proved useful over time, and none of it was "given" to me (other than the cost of the MSIE and my support)--I worked hard in classes.

I do not really understand the current situation where higher education is so expensive (and often not very productive) that huge student loans are required to earn a degree. My BSChE degree did not involve loans at all. My tuition was less than $200/semester and books about $150/semester (engineering students did not resell their textbooks). I lived at home with my parents and supplemented their expenses with summer and part-time jobs. I had a full 4-year scholarship from General Motors, but our family finances were good enough (barely) that GM only paid for my tuition and some for books. The current situation where college students saddle themselves with $50,000 loans to pay back is just scandalous. (Especially since a lot of them are not as well educated as high school graduates were back in the 1950s.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I do not really understand the current situation where higher education is so expensive (and often not very productive) that huge student loans are required to earn a degree.

College educations are expensive today because of the student loan program.

When lots of money is available to pay for something, the cost of that something inevitably rises. The colleges realized that no one was complaining about rising tuition costs and so they had no incentive to keep them down; the exact opposite in fact. The economic law of supply and demand applies only if the purchasers push back against rising prices, and that doesn’t happen when people—and especially young, naïve people with no appreciation of what going into massive debt will mean for their future—are getting what they consider to be free money upon request.

Henry Hazlitt warned about that phenomenon in his book Economics in One Lesson that was first published in 1947. He didn’t anticipate college student loans, but the principles are the same when other loans are freely given by the government (housing, in his example).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I don't think Lori and her husband are ever going to do any real hard time if any at all.
But I hope this leaves them nearly dead broke and they are banished from their elite social circles and cocktail parties because money and prestige is what matters the most to them.

It's about the only punishment that would have any effect and hopefully it trickles down and touches the daughters as well.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think Wesley Snipes and Pharma Bro thought the same thing.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before this story has played out to its conclusion, I will figure out how to turn it into a fine powder and snort it. Ingesting it in dribs and drabs over the course of the day simply isn’t enough.

Fun Read

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The funny thing us that just bribing your way into this wasn't good enough for these people. No, they had to go the extra mile and write it off on their taxes. Enjoy your next 5-10!!!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
...they had to go the extra mile and write it off on their taxes.

And now the Treasury Department has just as much on them as they did on Al Capone.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
The funny thing us that just bribing your way into this wasn't good enough for these people. No, they had to go the extra mile and write it off on their taxes. Enjoy your next 5-10!!!

I don't believe anyone is going to serve time, it never works out that way.

Most likely they'll plead out the case, fines will be levied, any taxes due will be paid, mea culpa's will be in written documents that won't be in the papers, utoob or instagram.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I do not really understand the current situation where higher education is so expensive (and often not very productive) that huge student loans are required to earn a degree.

College educations are expensive today because of the student loan program.

When lots of money is available to pay for something, the cost of that something inevitably rises.

Just as the reason health care is so expensive is because of Cadillac health care coverage.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I don't believe anyone is going to serve time, it never works out that way.

"Never?" I wouldn't be so certain. Martha Stewart did time, and "all" she did was some insider trading.

These people not only committed mail fraud, but money laundering and tax evasion, as well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post