SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coffee machine problem/question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee machine problem/question Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
My wife purchased a Senseo coffee machine online. It came with a plug for European outlet.

Can I get this machine rewired to use US 120v electrical outlet? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You can buy an adapter that takes the European plug on one side, and provides a US 120V plug on the other side. I have such an adapter that I used for a Norelco shaver that I bought in Holland years ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You need an adapter that converts both voltage and frequency--not just a an adapter that changes the shapes of the plug.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If you haven't used it, I'd consider exchanging it for the right one....if available.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38714 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You need an adapter that converts both voltage and frequency--not just a an adapter that changes the shapes of the plug.

Read the machine first and see if it works on 50 and 60 cycle Electricity. Otherwise you need a transformer. European electric is 50 cycles and American is 60 cycles. So standard things like motors usually work ok, but things with electronics will usually get fried.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
50 vs. 60Hz is one issue. The other is voltage. If there's a heating element involved, and it's a coffee maker, so there's a good bet there is, it may not heat the water, or at least not very quickly.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

He should search for a “converter” and not an adapter. Anything called an adapter won’t convert the voltage.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
what did the online vendor say when you contacted them?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Find the model number of your Senseo coffee maker, then google:

“Senseo <model number> specification”

to find the acceptable voltage and frequency ranges for power. If 110-120V at 60 Hz is in that range, then the simple plug adapter that I mentioned in my first post is all that you need.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Find the model number of your Senseo coffee maker, then google:

“Senseo <model number> specification”

to find the acceptable voltage and frequency ranges for power. If 110-120V at 60 Hz is in that range, then the simple plug adapter that I mentioned in my first post is all that you need.

Lots of electronics work just fine in Europe with just an adaptor change. Been there done that. You just need to be sure about the voltages. We all just bought new cords to plug into our laptop converters and nobody had any issues.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much! The adapter Pipe Smoker suggested cured the problem. Much appreciated! Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post