SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More than 500 guns seized from Southern California homes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More than 500 guns seized from Southern California homes Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
It’d be interesting to see where he got 500 guns. Something tells me it wasn’t legally.

Is there a number of guns you have that makes them (obtained) illegal? Confused

I suppose if you have a LOT of ammo (number TBD - varies by state) then you must be doing something illegal too? Eek

How does a convicted felon legally obtain firearms?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The serial numbers on those guns should help fill in the blanks on a lot of stolen guns and burglaries.

Will the police actually try to contact the registered owners, if the guns were registered?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The serial numbers on those guns should help fill in the blanks on a lot of stolen guns and burglaries.

Will the police actually try to contact the registered owners, if the guns were registered?

That's funny.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:
It’d be interesting to see where he got 500 guns. Something tells me it wasn’t legally.

I suppose if you have a LOT of ammo (number TBD - varies by state) then you must be doing something illegal too? Eek

That wasn't the question.

Does the number of guns you own or the number of rounds you possess determine whether you are a criminal?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...550092344#7550092344

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...seized more than 550 guns at two Southern California homes and made one arrest after getting a tip that a convicted felon was storing an arsenal.
Well, is he a felon, or did someone screw this guy over by calling the cops on him? Seriously?
Guy is 60 years old, is he a criminal or not? Missing some details, or perhaps better wording.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know a couple of people with collections in the several hundreds. All legal.

But that is, at least, approaching an arsenal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It appears he was convicted of a felony in 2017.

So, he might have amassed the collection lawfully, then later become a felon.

Even the "assault weapon" and "high capacity magazines" may be lawfully owned (beside the recently becoming a felon part).

If he legally owned these guns, he should have transferred possession to a trusted family member or friend after his conviction, and slowly sold off his collection through an FFL.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Heck, reckless driving is a felony. There are more laws and regulations than there are stars in the sky or grains of sand in the desert.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I know a couple of people with collections in the several hundreds. All legal.

But that is, at least, approaching an arsenal.

I know a guy that has close to if not over 100 NFA toys, not to mention his non nfa collection,

all as legal as can be,

there are many folks out there with larger collections, but they are smart and keep it quiet

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

From Eric Holder !!! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:

That wasn't the question.

Does the number of guns you own or the number of rounds you possess determine whether you are a criminal?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...550092344#7550092344

Ummmm I think that the story stating that he IS a FELON in possession of firearms is all I needed to read. That's still against the law if I remember correctly.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Ummmm I think that the story stating that he IS a FELON in possession of firearms is all I needed to read. That's still against the law if I remember correctly.

What I read in the article was
“Fernandez was booked on suspicion of being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition and illegally possessing an assault rifle and large-capacity magazines.”
I dunno if that means there is suspicion that he is a felon, suspicion that he was in possession of firearms and ammunition, etc, or both. I’ve seen plenty of screwed up news stories, so I’ll wait for more info.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:

By the looks of one of the pictures even if you did obtain them legally I don't know if I would want them back. They had them just tossed into the back of a pickup.

They'll have all kinds of nice rub marks on them once they get to wherever they are going.

Ugh, looking at that pick (and similar stuff I've seen) makes me cringe. A quick glance at the other picks shows that there is some nice stuff in there.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys! When I mentioned this guy probably didn’t legally get those 500 guns, I said that after reading the article that said he was a fellon. I wasn’t talking about the amount of gun/ammo having anything to do with it. I can’t see anything in my grammar that even comes close to hint8ng at that. Geez! To hear some of you going on you’d have thought I accused 12131 of having too many 228s. Razz

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
This is a fun game to play. There was once a time when I foolishly counted my guns as a part of my reguar inventory. It was scary and I had the number just shy of 300. Worse still, I had arranged to buy the extra guns from a friend that put me right at 300. Kind of worried me, so I culled the collection. Over that next year I cut it in half. Then in half again. Still to many guns, so I whittled it down even more.

But right now I have no idea how many guns I have. I do know when I bought my most recent, a 14" mossy. Smile Its not important. I will never own even 100 again.

Another advantage when someone rudely asks how many guns do you own, I can tell them I don't know. Its a true answer. Same goes for ammo, but I do know the calibers ( I think). I'm even pretty sure of which ones I kind of need more of except my logic is faulty because those are the guns I don't shoot. And I'm looking for some guns all the time. Those who know me are aware of how long it takes me to decide. (I hope GFF is reading this)

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the media’s fascination with quantity. No matter how many a person owns, 99.9% of crimes are committed with just one.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
What do they do with all of those guns? I hope they are not destroyed....

By the looks of one of the pictures even if you did obtain them legally I don't know if I would want them back. They had them just tossed into the back of a pickup.

They'll have all kinds of nice rub marks on them once they get to wherever they are going.

There was a similar case. Recall police carrying bundles of guns out and putting them in a pile. Believe the guy was an honest collector.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
"suspicion of being a felon"

Think about that this way.... could 'they' not arrest anyone for that?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m curious as to what felony he was convicted of. Felony sounds bad and usually is but if you consider tax evasion and copyright infringement can be felonies as well it gets a little murky in my opinion. Call me a cynic but my curiousity is aroused by the fact that while his record was the entire reason for charging him, for inexplicable reasons there is no mention of it other than than it was a felony. Again, maybe it’s just me but I’m inclined to think the article would have made a point of showing how dangerous he was instead of noting that he was more of a collector had his felony been related to anything substantial, and I don’t really feel any safer if it’s a case of some old guy having his collection of old rifles legally stolen over bootlegged DVDs or cheating on his taxes.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's say you are a collector, or any legal gun owner, and get jammed up on a felony charge. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to somehow quickly transfer your guns to someone who can legally own them, like a spouse or other close relative. If you legally purchased the guns but later become ineligible, what constitutes possession? You spouse in the same household does not lose their 2A rights just because you get convicted.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post