SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women's world cup 2019
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women's world cup 2019 Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Para has convinced me. Women's sports are a sort of gender Jim Crow - separate but equal. This is just as wrong as racial discrimination.

Let everyone compete together on an equal basis. If few women make it into the NBA, so what? How many Jews are in the NBA?

When Jews Dominated Professional Basketball

Lisa Wade, PhD on November 25, 2013

Kids growing up in dense, urban environments often turn to basketball as their sport of choice. This is partly because it fits, in a physical sense. All things being equal, a basketball court takes up a lot less room than a football or soccer field. For the economically disadvantaged, it’s also relatively cheap to play. If you have a court available, you only need a pair of shoes and a ball. For this reason, whatever population finds itself in this type of environment tends to take up basketball.

That’s why the sport was dominated by Jews in the first half of the 1900s. Just like many African-Americans today, at that time many immigrant Jewish families found themselves isolated in inner cities. Basketball seemed like a way out. “It was absolutely a way out of the ghetto,” explained retired ball player Dave Dabrow. Basketball scholarships were one of the few ways low income urban Jews could afford college.

Jewish basketball team (1921-22):

Today we refer to stereotypes about Black men to explain why they dominate basketball, but this is an after-the-fact justification. At the time, very different characteristics — stereotypes associated with Jews — were used to explain why they dominated professional teams. Paul Gallico, sports editor of the NY Daily News in the 1930s, explained that “the game places a premium on an alert, scheming mind, flashy trickiness, artful dodging and general smart aleckness.” All stereotypes about Jews. Moreover, he argued, Jews were rather short and so had “God-given better balance and speed.” Yep. There was a time when we thought being short was an advantage in the sport of basketball.

Never underestimate the power of institutions and how much things can change.

https://thesocietypages.org/so...essional-basketball/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Many Americans will vote with their feet about this too.

Nike stock is up 1% since the win...17% for the year

Most people don't know how diversified Nike has become.

Converse, for instance, is part of the Nike conglomerate.

They'll get a bump for the short haul but the longer term is not clear.

The young women look good in the Sports Illustrated Special Edition but in those swimsuits, I'm not sure just what tney're selling. Wink

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Black, are you referring to this video as seen on Fox News?

Dropped American Flag

I do not support those who show disrespect to our country and the symbols of our country and I certainly do not like seeing the flag dropped but, if this is the video of what you are referring to, I do not see the same things you mentioned.

So, you don’t see the blonde girl intentionally put the flag on the ground, then the purple haired one step forward onto it, and then the brown haired girl grab it before purple hair takes another step on it???
While it was not all all out Antifa flag stomping it should not have occurred.

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Does it infuriate you as much when people wear the flag as clothing?

There's a slight >< difference. One is a purposeful display of disrespect, the other a misguided attempt to honour.

I have a couple t-shirts that have the U.S. flag printed on the front. Technically, wearing those is a violation of the flag code. So call me misguided, but I wear those to honour my country and the flag that represents it.

The U.S. Flag code is in reference to an actual flag. Not a printed pattern or depiction of the flag. If one were to take an actual flag and make a garment out of it that is a problem. Simply having a shirt or other article of clothing with a flag printed on it is not a violation of the flag code.
The only section of the U.S. Flag code that deals with embroidery or printed depictions of the flag is in reference to things that are sat or stood upon like pillows or door mats and If something is meant for one time or temporary use such as a napkin those are are not to be printed or embroidered with the flag.
I don’t think Clothing falls under temporary one time use.

As for the difference in pay. These women are entertainers and nothing more they are laid based on viewership and revenue.
Women’s sports just don’t have the viewership or revenue that men’s sports do. It is plain and simple.
If I wrote a book I doubt I would sell more than two and likely Mom would be the only one to buy it. Should I get the same amount of money Stephen King or John Grisham gets paid.
Nope!
It is simple finance.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I read about the old Jewish basketball teams in a pamphlet titled “Famous Jewish Sportsfigures”.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
I read about the old Jewish basketball teams in a pamphlet titled “Famous Jewish Sportsfigures”.

Oh stewardess, I speak jive.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
At least the President has some class even if the girls on women's soccer team don't.

Nice sentiment from President Trump but as a fan and American, I want more from our national teams.

As far as them not acting political on the pitch, I guess not singing the national anthem, anti-American-institution press conferences, taking a knee, running up the score, over-celebrating, the tea cup slight of their opponent, and insulting the presidency don't count as much to some.

Sportsmanship and conducting oneself as an ambassador on the world stage, win or lose, are more important to me.

At a recent game broadcast, I noted only one player NOT holding her hand over her heart. And most of the others were singing right along with the anthem.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Hamden106,

There's been blow back.

I can only hope some of those involved will learn.

Americans should make a big stink.

Social injustice warriors aren't the only, or most numerous, voices out here.

Where were the coaches in letting this team hurt themselves so badly in pubic perception?

The team was NOT prepared to represent us on the world stage.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

The team was NOT prepared to represent us on the world stage.

That's a fact. These girls were a disgrace to our country.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Now they are saying they would love to be props for Chuck Schumer.

Rapinoe says US women's soccer team would be 'very happy to accept' Schumer's invite to Senate

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for when their 15 minutes is up and they fade back into obscurity. They'll be the toast of the town tomorrow in New York Shitty where they'll be feted by America Hating Losers like themselves. Instead of ticker tape, they should drop heavy bags of shit on them from as high up as possible.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Team Trash. That's all they are, all the ever will be.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
their 15 minutes was up last week

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. "Hateful messages" scrawled on posters of this bitch in the NYC subway. Oh, my, there's not room for hate in the transit system. I know this, because some jughead said it. How idiotic. Roll Eyes

https://www.foxnews.com/sports...hateful-messages-nyc

Tough shit, baby. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. You created this whole mess with your fat fucking mouth and political posturing, when really, all you do is run around and kick a little ball. You're about as American as typical Eurotrash.

I hope you get hounded at public appearances- booed, jeered, forced to leave the stage and hide with your security people. With all my heart, I wish you the roughest year of your special little life, girly, and it's all your doing.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

“Hate has no place in the [NYC] transit system..."

That's not the NYC transit system in the NYC in my universe

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'Rapin-Hoe' - Sooo damn tired of you....Just STFU and Go AWAY Already!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

“Hate has no place in the [NYC] transit system..."

That's not the NYC transit system in the NYC in my universe

Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right.
-The Mayor

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So that's the worst thing that happened in the NY Subway system today?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I live in Florida now, but I was born and grew up in the NYC area.

"Re-decorating" posters in subway stations and subway cars is a long-standing tradition. There is nothing special about Rapinhoe, other than her spotlight-seeking behavior. Much as she claims that she is being singled out, she is nothing but an anonymous face to the graffiti artists.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
From 2015, but recirculating because of the USWNT's complaints about equal pay:

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post