SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women's world cup 2019
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women's world cup 2019 Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Whether she's benched or not, and whether they win or not, these women will fade into nothingness within a few weeks.

Anyone heard from Mia Hamm lately? Abby Wambach? Brandi Chastain?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I’ve been hoping they get beat. I can’t get behind them. I mean, they turn the President down but accept an invite from AOC? Get bent. I’m tired of people trying to make my entertainment political. Right wing or left wing, shut up and play/act/sing/etc. I refuse to support entertainment that is made political.

I’m a big soccer fan, but just can’t get behind this team.
^^^This. Never thought I'd find myself rooting against a US team in world competition, but I guess I'm there. Simply disgraceful behavior by these childish morons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now, ESPN Is announcing the nominees for their "Best Team" award. My wife is excited because her Clemson Tigers are one of the nominees. Also in the running is the US Women's Soccer Team.

On the one hand, we have Dabo Swinney, who openly gives thanks to God for his accomplishments and says his purpose is not football, but raising men.

On the other hand, we have some America-hating bitch who ignorantly takes a knee to protest how unfair it is she lives in a country that allows her to play soccer for a living instead of wearing a Burka or whatever...

I may have upset my wife by pointing out how "toxic masculinity" is probably going to lose to the "brave women" protesting the US by taking a knee.

I hope I'm wrong.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree MR is a knucklehead

but I don't let her immaturity and leftist behavior detract from my interest in the talent and accomplishments of the rest of the team (it is a team sport but the media - of course - has chosen her as the darling of the moment)

plus I like watching Americans win and they have accomplished that so far

===============================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

but I don't let her immaturity and leftist behavior detract from my interest in the talent and accomplishments of the rest of the team (it is a team sport but the media - of course - has chosen her as the darling of the moment)

You do realize her teammates and coach have lined up behind the "knucklehead", supporting her and her positions, right? This particular world cup team is self centered and disgraceful. Prior teams did it right by playing the games and steering clear of politics all together.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
This shows us how Politics conflate and conflict things.

I started this thread to talk about Soccer and look where it has gone Confused

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

Yes, but it wasn't the people or this forum who made it about politics, it's the captain of the US team who has made it about politics every time she is interviewed or asked a question. It's a shame.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Yes, but it wasn't the people or this forum who made it about politics, it's the captain of the US team who has made it about politics every time she is interviewed or asked a question. It's a shame.

Add the facts her team members, then the coaching staff, nor the management of the US Team, hasn't done anything about her anti-US actions. Anything could mean speaking out against Rapino, benching her, kicking her off the team, etc.

If she wants to play for Team USA, notice the name of the team Wink

Regardless, and sorry PR64, but I've been rooting against USA and was hoping for Germany. Now its down to anybody except Team USA.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps I need to make more of an effort to keep politics out of threads.

I mean, the next step is autoclaving, then hermetic sealing.

As has been pointed out, we cannot ignore the remarks some of these women are making, simply because this started out as a soccer thread.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for not locking this down.

I was commenting and not bitching Smile

I agree with most of what has been said by forum members...and the pictures Wink

Sweden and Netherlands are playing right now.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

You do realize her teammates and coach have lined up behind the "knucklehead", supporting her and her positions, right? This particular world cup team is self centered and disgraceful. Prior teams did it right by playing the games and steering clear of politics all together.

whatever, man.

the vast majority of these young women have dedicated their lives to play for the US national team.

they do it the right way. they are Americans who want to WIN. If one of the best - if not THE best - player (MR) is running her mouth - what do you expect them too say?? on the intenational level ? create international drama by voicing dissent publicly??

Quit because they disagree with ONE or two teammates ?? heck no. you grin and bear it and WIN the Cup.

I get it - we all dislike MR . I think she is a goof ball leftist - completely ignorant of facts, etc.

But she is a useful idiot also. Helps us WIN. Do you agree with EVERYONE in your family? you work with? Go to church with? in your neighborhood? Man- it's like some on the right have TDS in reverse - just as bad.

And her coach is a leftist lesbian also so what do you expect?

lastly - censuring her for her comments? really? you realize how stupid that would be? to create a leftist international 'martyr' for kicking her off the team for comments / political views? that would be a HUGE mistake and they will never do that.

I am all for letting her run her little mouth - she will look ridiculous to her enemies and she'll be loved by her supporters. big deal. in the meantime she helps us win our 4th WC.

Actively cheer AGAINST the US in an international competition?? you gotta be kidding me!

BTW - am a big fan of Carli Lloyd. A blue-collar type player. Not really gifted super-physically. But pretty hard-nosed and hard work ethic. Pretty clutch too.

In the end - moreso than a lot here - I can generally enjoy things - sports, music, movies, etc without letting politics seep overwhelmingly into everything. YMMV --

life's too short to be pissed off all the time because someone said something you don't agree with. and you can't let others ruin something you would otherwise enjoy. and if you hate soccer anyway - why are you even in this thread ???

=====================================================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig209 -

There is much you seem to have missed in the posts that do not favor the women's team in general or Rapinoe in specific. I am unable to determine if that is by design or not. Perhaps this quote will shed some light on how others feel about this issue, and why it's important, or should be, to every American patriot -

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Nobody here who is against the antics of the women's team lives in a constant state of being pissed off. The anger is focused and directed at the source and does not affect other aspects of our lives. Nike, Dixie Chicks, women's soccer team, etc., - our disgust for their hatred of America has zero effect on anything not related to them, and there are alternatives in music, film, etc. that can substitute for the America-haters. If there is no substitute, then do without. If do without isn't an option, then we purchase the product. It's all a matter of what is acceptable to the individual.

Granted, coming to a thread about soccer and complaining about how one doesn't like the sport is bad form. As has been pointed out numerous times, however, the women's team made their participation in the sport as much about politics and hypocrisy as about the sport itself. As such, anyone has a right to express their opinion on any issue the women's team has created.

As far as the players, coaches, staff, etc. publicly dissenting - yes, they should dissent against anyone on the team who denigrates America. At least then the international community would know that there are still some patriots in the arena.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your players started with Soccer and then made it political...? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
But she is a useful idiot also. Helps us WIN.

So, anything goes, as long as we win. Roll Eyes

There is more to "winning" than scoring points with a little ball. Professional ethics and behavior is foremost. And BTW, my family, co-workers, neighbors, etc. are not offical representatives of the United States of America. Miss Little Captain and Her Sistas are. And it is shameful they do not act like it. Shameful.

I sound like an Andy Griffith or Ward Cleaver here, but I'd much rather have subpar athletes on my USA team who best represent what makes this country great, than the current US women's soccer team. And maybe my kind is a dyin' breed...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I believe a viewing of "Miracle" is in order. THAT was a team that represented national pride.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Update:

Netherlands beat Sweden 1-0

It's all set - USA vs Netherland on Sunday for the finals.

GO USA!!!

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you agree with EVERYONE in your family? you work with? Go to church with? in your neighborhood? Man- it's like some on the right have TDS in reverse - just as bad.
You could have made a legitimate point, until you got here. No, I do not agree with all family members, friends, church goers, etc. But if I disagree with their position, I'll either state my position or respectfully bow out of such conversations offering nothing. I do not openly support anyone's position I do not agree with. And I played college baseball so I'm well aware of how teammates should function with each other.
quote:
lastly - censuring her for her comments? really? you realize how stupid that would be? to create a leftist international 'martyr' for kicking her off the team for comments / political views?
I haven't once anywhere in this thread suggested this nitwit should be benched or kicked off the team. However, consider how many professional players have served suspensions for making some bogus comment about a protected group, or the league they played in. Its not unprecedented for someone to be suspended for the comments they make when those comments are not well received by the people paying for tickets and souvenirs.
quote:
Actively cheer AGAINST the US in an international competition?? you gotta be kidding me!
Not kidding at all. When a team is as disrespectful of the country its supposed to represent as this team is, they neither get my respect or support. And after all, its fricking women's soccer.

And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Keeping it apolitical, I’m rooting for my new girlfriend on Saturday. Go Alex!!! I like to refer to her as “lashes”.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
In case anybody is interested.

USA Mens team is playing Jamaica right now in the Gold Cup Semi finals.

GO USA!!!

Soccer everywhere right now.... Cool

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update:

Netherlands beat Sweden 1-0

It's all set - USA vs Netherland on Sunday for the finals.

GO USA!!!

GO NETHERLANDS!!! Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post