SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women's world cup 2019
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women's world cup 2019 Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
My new girlfriend scored one of England's 3 goals this morning.

I don't watch much sports, but there I was, eating in a Turkish restaurant w/ the game on the wall in front of me, and I recognized her as a SF "girlfriend". Big Grin

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Quarter Final Matchups:

Norway vs England

USA vs France

Italy vs Netherlands

Germany vs Sweden

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3475 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Update

England 3-0 over Norway

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3475 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Here we go...Game time USA vs France

GO USA!!!

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, please, God, let it be over soon. Make it stop.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, please, God, let it be over soon. Make it stop.

It’s the Quarterfinals Para

Thanks for not shutting me down

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If I locked this thread, where would I bitch about the illegitimacy of women's pro sports?

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Good point Smile

I'm a big soccer fan. This just happens to be the Women's World Cup.

I'm not a women's pro sport fan...

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Yeah, this world beating US women's team was beaten by an Under 15 year old team of boys from Dallas...Economically you're worth what someone is willing to pay you - no more, no less. If women's soccer brought in billions of dollars, you can bet the players would be paid millions. Until then, their argument is silly and invalid.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage

First time venturing into this thread. Your post reminded me of another incident a few years ago- the Australian Womens National Soccer Team was beaten by a 15-and-under high school team, 7-0 score (a thorough asskicking by soccer standards).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp...lympics-warm-up.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USWNT beats France 2-1. Good game!

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Seems that the team will not visit the WH, but will take up Ocasio-Cortez's invitation to visit HER at the House of Reps.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fifa-...-fued-004508123.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If I locked this thread, where would I bitch about the illegitimacy of women's pro sports?

this cracked me up

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not watching but it's hard to avoid the Old Media criminal bastards covering this, all bubbly with each USA win, sticking a mic in Rapinoe's face, replaying her various anthem antics, knowing full well it's a collective "Fuck you" to POTUS from all the smirking fellow travelers.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Yeah, this world beating US women's team was beaten by an Under 15 year old team of boys from Dallas...Economically you're worth what someone is willing to pay you - no more, no less. If women's soccer brought in billions of dollars, you can bet the players would be paid millions. Until then, their argument is silly and invalid.

FC Dallas under-15 boys squad beat the U.S. Women's National Team in a scrimmage

First time venturing into this thread. Your post reminded me of another incident a few years ago- the Australian Womens National Soccer Team was beaten by a 15-and-under high school team, 7-0 score (a thorough asskicking by soccer standards).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp...lympics-warm-up.html

disclaimer : former soccer coach here

these results really should not be surprising when playing full field 11 v. 11

the boys by that time are MUCH faster than the women. it's an undeniable fact.

so the way the games go is the boys drop long balls / through passes behind the women and flat-out out-run the women to go 1 v 1 to the goal. basically it's just breakaway after breakaway. not really a display of 'soccer talent' as much as a display of raw athleticism which the boys by then are superior

and it is common for women to scrimmage boys / men's teams to get a high level physical competition in training ... I know women's college soccer teams do this fairly regularly

in terms of pure technical skill - there really isn't that much difference. i have a family member who is a D1 female soccer player and in 'small-sided' games she holds up well vs men technically. I have seen it. and I guarantee she can outrun 99% of the posters in this thread. she would embarrass a typical middle age man - even one who considered himself in 'decent' shape - in any running competition 100s, 200s, 400s, 800s, stadium steps, etc.

of course contact on the ball the physical advantage goes to the men undeniably

as for me - I enjoy watching women compete against women at the top of their game. but nobody in their right mind thinks they can 'beat' males of a similar level of competition in a game. Its just silly to compare -- men are stronger / faster when comparing apples / apples

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Well, time to root for England.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Stepping away from the political angle since I've already said my piece on that, I have to disagree with a previous poster about the quality of the play. I watch A LOT of football - mostly the Big 5 European leagues, Champions' League, current Copa America, World Cup, etc.

I've shamelessly borrowed this from a poster on another board since I couldn't put it better myself and completely agree:

" It was a good win for them, but man, watching women's soccer is hard. I'm shocked by the disparity at the technical level from men, to the point that simple passes and ball collections are consistently blown. I'm not sure, through this whole competition, I've seen a ball played with a combination of short passes through the middle of the field with the end result being a goal. The style for every team is to get it down the sideline, get a cross off, and hope for the best, many of them not even getting their head up before hitting the cross. Of course, most goals seem to come from PK's or goalie mistakes. It's just.....so bad."

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't watch women's soccer for the technical play...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If they win the cup, maybe they can try their hand against some of the boys high school state champions??? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
If they win the cup, maybe they can try their hand against some of the boys high school state champions??? Wink

they (the women) would lose for sure

--------------------------------