SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    facebook and social media is exhausting
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

facebook and social media is exhausting Login/Join 
posted
hello,
i am 31 one years old. after more than a decade on social media platforms (facebook and instagram), i finally decided to shut it down (at least for a bit).

i have deactivated it for a few days and i dont miss it. i feel a sense of calm. i also had a personality type that was drawn to it and stuck on it for hours on end.

eventually what did me in was friends aggressively rage posting their politics and then attacking each other.

do any of you feel sensory overload with facebook and if you don't how do you manage it?

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Nah I just use it to stay informed about hobbies and some entertainment stuff and a few friends and that's it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:

do any of you feel sensory overload with facebook and if you don't how do you manage it?

I don't feel a sensory overload with FB or other sites similar simply because I have never signed up for one. Never had the slightest interest.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

And here I am trying to reset my myspace password.
Razz

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m on FB very little, most of what I look for are products I’m interested in and firearm groups. I have a small circle as far as friends go and they pretty much think the way I do.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:

I don't feel a sensory overload with FB or other sites similar simply because I have never signed up for one. Never had the slightest interest.

Yup. None of that FarceBook, Instagram, Twatter, or whatever the latest fad is. Life is good.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
SigForum is the only social-media I do.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Are they really friends???, or just people you once knew that sent you a "friend" request. I've you add enough ingredients to the soup, sooner or later, it'll taste like crap. You've got to curate for it to be enjoyable. I think I have around 15 to 20 people that I've accepted requests from, or sent requests to. It may have been higher, but I've unfriended anyone (right or left) that goes political. Yuk. Like ANYONE needs more political theater.

I use IG and FB. FB is distant family and local running/biking pals. IG is watch pals and some mid-century design pals and feeds.

Each their own "soup". Each is usually a rewarding (and quick) experience. You can't spend all-day on a feed with a dozen or so people. haha

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
On my public page on Facebook, I don't do anything controversial - I just post pictures of my food, my dogs, and make wise-ass comments here and there.

In facebook closed groups, it's open game for me. I engage in arguments to keep my intellect going especially with liberals. The environment is brutish compared to Sigforum but sometimes you need to wrestle with hyenas to keep your mental skills up.

Before, my purpose was to give my mind a reprieve and give it another outlet other than work.

I've been on social media for at least 20 years since the beginnings of AOL dial up with its chatrooms.

I don't engage with personalities that I perceive to be clinically crazy as that's contagious. I don't have sensory overload with facebook as I've taken speed reading courses and know how to effectively scan. When you get 300 emails everyday in the office and each email that needs your response leads you down several rabbit holes with their related but separate issues that needs tracking down as well, that's sensory overload.

There's nothing in social media that forces you to respond, it's your choice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I actually enjoy Facebook. It's a great thing if you know how to set it up optimally. You can do it in settings.

All I see on my facebook page is what I like. I see articles on guns, working out, hunting, fishing, and that's about it.

I canceled most news sites, and stop following friends who are prone to get into political conversation.

Facebook is actually a great experience for me when I check it....which is 900 times a day.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got to that point but it's one of the main ways to keep in touch with family and car friends. I unfollowed anything caustic on my page and quit any form of politics on facebook. So far, it's very chill and I get more content that I actually want to see.

A big tip is the change your news feed from Top Stories to Most Recent. They default to top stories and load you with junk while you are missing out on your family/friends.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Left FB over a year ago don’t miss it, I was spending too much time and was being consumed with too much negative energy. Never got into twatter, or snatchchat. Good for you! You will see that you can spent your time on more productive things now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I have with social media (including gun boards) is judging myself against the mythical composite person. When reading through the experiences of thousands of individuals, it's very easy to take the guy that shoots in competition every week, the guy that travels all over the world, the guy that is a fitness addict, the guy who has a million dollar income, etc. and roll them all into one extremely successful individual. Judging one's accomplishments against that is sure to lead to disappointment.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The biggest problem I have with social media (including gun boards) is judging myself against the mythical composite person. When reading through the experiences of thousands of individuals, it's very easy to take the guy that shoots in competition every week, the guy that travels all over the world, the guy that is a fitness addict, the guy who has a million dollar income, etc. and roll them all into one extremely successful individual. Judging one's accomplishments against that is sure to lead to disappointment.

Amen to that. It is especially true here! It comes in waves.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Wife and I ditched Facebook almost three years ago, still on Instagram. We absolutely do not miss Facebook, and our friends who are still on it are always lamenting about how annoying it is, to which I always describe our experience. It never enriched our lives and definitely was a time waster. The upside is we still are friends with all the people we want to be friends with and are able to see pictures of their families either through Instagram or iCloud photo sharing.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My company maintains a Facebook presence because it's where we get a majority of our business.(home designer/builder).

I also use it as a news gathering source. Just follow the good ones.

And lastly, it is my way to piss off the liberal friends I have. I seldom even go there to post. When I see something worth posting, I just click on the share icon. Don't even have to get on Facebook. Kind of a hit and run. By the time they have composed a reply, i strafe them with another one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I left FB before the primary election season started. Don't miss it a bit. My wife is still on it, much to my protest, and still goes through FB drama.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I manage social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., by never signing up in the first place.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Use FB to keep up with old friends, old Military buddies, a few High school friends, a few gun writers I enjoy, on and on.

I LIKE Facebook. It's a great tool to keep informed on friends and Family.

But it has a dark side that one must avoid. As easy as that.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I just hope people who like bragging that they don't use Facebook keep showing up in a thread about Facebook. Because that doesn't get old.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post