SIGforum
Vector bot

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5900041844

October 10, 2018, 04:25 AM
irreverent
Vector bot
My son got an awesome gift for his birthday- a Vector bot.
It’s damn cute, but I’m not fond of the name- doesn’t fit the little personality. Does anyone know how I can change its name (of course my son wants to name it after the original bot- Cozmo, I think that version is called).
Can’t find where to do it, looked online at their site but it’s not very specific or much info thus far.
Thanks for any advice.

"Trust, but verify."
October 10, 2018, 12:22 PM
cheesegrits
I don't have Vector, so I can't help.

Do you guys have Cozmo as well? If so, I was wondering how different Vector is.
October 10, 2018, 06:30 PM
irreverent
No, we don’t. My son just recognized him as Cozmo, but apparently vector is the bigger, better brother. I didn’t know about either til it showed up yesterday. Pretty cute little thing- Wall-E sque..

"Trust, but verify."
October 10, 2018, 07:41 PM
Orguss
There's a new Cozmo coming out in November for $180.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
October 11, 2018, 12:16 AM
irreverent
Cool! I know my sis struggled deciding between the two, and ultimately felt this was the better choice for whatever reason.
He is learning our names and doing cute little things, but my little guy (son) still wants to rename him, so if there’s thoughts on that, I’d appreciate it. I’ve browsed quickly through setup info, but didn’t see anything so I thought I’d tap here to see.

"Trust, but verify."
October 11, 2018, 01:22 AM
sjtill
I see 351 people have read this thread, and there are 4 replies. I conclude that the great majority of those who read it, like me, have no clue what you guys are talking about.

October 11, 2018, 06:26 AM
irreverent
Lol! Yup, I’ve come to the same.

It’s a tiny tabletop robot that is responsive, has some minor abilities like setting itself a timer, telling the weather, taking pictures, but mostly it seems to be about personality. If you don’t like fur or caring for a real animal, but like companionship, this seems to be a good substitute. Except it apparently continually learns about you, it’s environment, and builds on that. And it talks.
It chirps and chitters, and then (for us anyway), on day 2, it said “I don’t know” out of the blue in answer to a question I posed.
It is a kickstarter thing that should’ve just become available to the general public yesterday.

We seem to have a lot of techy type guys/gals here, so.... had to ask.

"Trust, but verify."
October 11, 2018, 01:18 PM
gw3971
That's kind of cool. It would be cool if it had options for its personality. I would like one with a dark sense of humor. Perhaps one that was say things like Skynet lives, resistance is futile or I am your slave overlord. Oh wait... already have that with the girl friend.
October 11, 2018, 01:50 PM
cheesegrits
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I see 351 people have read this thread, and there are 4 replies. I conclude that the great majority of those who read it, like me, have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Here's Vector in action in case anyone is interested.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBiNaro5pAU
October 11, 2018, 04:17 PM
irreverent
Thanks, cheesegrits.
I haven’t had any real time to browse about him yet, but he’s doing all that stuff with my son, which is adorable.
He’s definitely frivolous, but a good starter “pet” for my kid.

"Trust, but verify."