SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duluth Trading No BS Guarantee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duluth Trading No BS Guarantee Login/Join 
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of ballroom jeans the zipper would not stay up. I bought them with a 20% off coupon

When I contacted DT about it they offered to refund my purchase price or I could send the jeans in plus the 20% to cover that price difference for a new pair.

I sent them all five pairs I owned and they refunded my money.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
I had a pair of ballroom jeans the zipper would not stay up.

This sentence is BEGGING for a joking “Is that you [name]?” response. Sadly, that would probably be political, so I’ll leave the name out.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I recently had an item that just, in my opinion, was starting to fall apart, a hole had already started. Item was about 4 months old since purchase. I'm talking about Duluth Trading.

I called their customer service, they said they would replace it by mail order, or I could just go to my local Duluth store.

This went badly at store level. The clerk refused to swap it out and got the store manager on duty. The store manager got involved and refused. I told them to hand me back my item and I'd call back to their home office customer service and let them handle it.

Then the manager got really snotty with me and said she'd replace it at no charge "as a good will gesture, this time only".

That really pissed me off.

I've not purchased anything from Duluth since, either from their website or my local Duluth store.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This appears to be a common theme: A business starts off fairly small, with emphasis on quality, value and service. But, as it grows, it loses sight of those factors which made it successful.
I was an early Duluth customer and often people would ask me where I purchased something I was wearing. When I said Duluth Trading, they had never heard of it. That to the DT television ads, that does not happen to me anymore.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Customers of niche shops, in my experience, tend to be perhaps a bit more ethical and invested in the success of that store, so they don't abuse generous customer service programs.

Once the great swarming masses clue into it, the predictable results happen and policies change.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I have dealt with DT for years and have had no real complaints. I bought a pair of fire hose logger pants which served me well for many years of cutting, splitting, hauling and stacking wood.

Naturally, they wore out eventually. I fleetingly thought about sending them back for a new pair. I just couldn't do it. I had received good service for my money. It was a fair deal that benefited both parties. In my opinion, it would be greedy and selfish on my part to try to get a replacement pair for free.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Customers of niche shops, in my experience, tend to be perhaps a bit more ethical and invested in the success of that store, so they don't abuse generous customer service programs.

Once the great swarming masses clue into it, the predictable results happen and policies change.

That’s been my experience as well.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Those policies are good only for customers from the best the human race has to offer, but not for the masses of people who compromise their values, if any, for a few bucks.

How about a top quality product for a reasonable price ? No warranty needed. If you accidentally drop it overboard, oops. When you wear it out it's time to buy another. I don't buy with warranty in mind, since the stuff I buy generally doesn't need to be waranteed because of its good reputation resulting from good design and quality meterials and manufacturing.

I like a previous poster's comment, "well bend over backwards but not forward". That philosophy works in many areas of life, especially in the dog eat dog world of retail. Only stupid retailers want the buisness of assholes.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Work retail for a decade and tell me if you still believe there are any good people.

Not a fan of DT at all, but not surprised to hear this either.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Naturally, they wore out eventually. I fleetingly thought about sending them back for a new pair. I just couldn't do it. I had received good service for my money. It was a fair deal that benefited both parties. In my opinion, it would be greedy and selfish on my part to try to get a replacement pair for free.

Exactly. I have many items of Duluth clothing. My firehose pants finally got a blowout in the crotch. I've had them for 16 years. I would not dream of taking them back. I personally feel that having a warranty on clothing has got to be one of the most ridiculous things in the retail industry.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
all they would have to do is set up a data base, and keep track of who was returning what .

Why spoil it for everyone because a few dozen people are working the system.

All returns are entered in to a file, and when Wilford's file hits the 4 entry "flag" number, over three years, you scrutinize him , and move his name to another file,
if he is working the system , send him a warning,about his return's

and eventually you might have to send Wilford a
letter notifying him that his days as a customer can continue , but he has reached hid return limit..

Easy to type on a forum, but would be really expensive to implement.

How hard can it be?
Nordstrom has been doing it since 1985

with today's tech , I would think it would be 75% easier.

they can pull up your returns at any store in any region , weather you paid with a Nordstrom card , a visa or paid cash or just did an exchange for other merchandise.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing their Fire Hose Foreman pants out to gun classes for two years now, ground fighting, going prone in all kinds of weather, tripping and falling on uneven ground, (one face plant would have made Pete Rose proud); no holes, great durable clothing.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
all they would have to do is set up a data base, and keep track of who was returning what .

All returns are entered in to a file, and when Wilford's file hits the 4 entry "flag" number, over three years, you scrutinize him , and move his name to another file,

letter notifying him that his days as a customer can continue , but he has reached hid return limit..

How hard can it be?
Nordstrom has been doing it since 1985

with today's tech , I would think it would be 75% easier.

they can pull up your returns at any store in any region , weather you paid with a Nordstrom card , a visa or paid cash or just did an exchange for other merchandise.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be practically free!

Duluth Trading just wants this to go away.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to work for L.L. Bean. when they had their lifetime guarantee. We'd have people returning 20+ year old items on a daily basis. Main problem with keeping a data base is when the item bought is a gift. My mother in law bought me tons of L.L. Bean stuff & never gave me a gift receipt. This made it very easy for people to abuse the system & buy broken, worn out stuff from yard sales & return it.
My brother owns a sandblasting shop & is very hard on tools. He has never had issues returning broken parts from Craftsman for replacement, but he doesn't abuse it. They have been out of the part in store, but they have mailed him the replacement part in some cases. He keeps the receipts for them though.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some tools that belonged to a uncle of mine several years after he died. In the lot were some Snap-on sockets and a beat up 1/2" ratchet that did not work. I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine about the tools and he asked me to bring the ratchet up and let him look at it (all of his tools are Snap On). He said he'd let the Snap On guy look at the ratchet the next he came by see it he could fix it, if I wanted him to...I said sure. A couple of weeks later he called me said to stop by after work. When I walked into his shop a brand new ratchet was setting on his desk. The Snap On rep. had told that the tools were guaranteed for life no matter who owned them so he had replaced the ratchet. He'd told my friend that the old ratchet was built in the late 1930's but was still guaranteed.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I'm sure it would be practically free!

even if it cost them $60,000.00

when you make 89% of your customers happy ,
isn't it worth it ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Work retail for a decade and tell me if you still believe there are any good people.

I worked retail in high school and college. Once I graduated, I was determined never to take a job where I had to deal with the public again.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not that difficult or expensive.

They already track every purchase you make at their store, then go to a data warehouse and purchase reams of other information, like purchases at other stores, your credit and payment history, job, residence, the car you drive, your social media posts, etc., etc.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am saddened by this.
I got 3 pairs of buck nakeds for Christmas by May 2 had ripped they swapped them out no questions asked. My understanding is they would still swap them out as they were less than a year old.

Their jeans on the other hand have a manufacturing/design issue as EVERY pair has done the exact same thing. 5 pairs where the firehouse material meets the white fabric of the pocket will separate. I rotate pants and get about a year and a half before the separation.
This would not fall under replacement. I have sent message after message after not sure if they have fixed the issue. I have swapped all mine for the Duluth Double Flex hopefully these don’t have the issue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post