SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any experiences with newer Volvo's, the S90 in particular ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experiences with newer Volvo's, the S90 in particular ? Login/Join 
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted
Lease is up on my Sonata in 30 days. Never really considered a Volvo, but I've been seeing a lot of S90 commercials the last few weeks.

Did some research and went to the local Dealer to check them out. Very impressed.

I don't know much about the reliability of the newer Volvo's.

But my main hangup is the engine. I (think) all the models use the same 2 liter, 4 cylinder. One Turbo Charged and one with a Turbo and a Supercharger. 250HP or 316HP.

But I just don't know about a 4 cylinder in that size of a car. It will be a lease, so it will be under warranty while I have it and maintenance is included.

Any experiences ??

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An S80 saved my moms life about a decade ago, she was driving around 50-60mph and a drunk driver in a full size overloaded ford pickup just rolled out in front of her, she didnt even get a chance to touch the brakes. The volvo was completely destroyed but she walked away from it.

I remember it being a fun, quiet, comfortable smooth ride,

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very solid, well constructed cars. Quite expensive to repair when the warranty expires, as are many Euro vehicles. I had an S60R and an intermittent electronics issue arose that made me choose to trade it off. Front seats are some of the most comfortable in any car.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 2004 S60 R. Ran like a raped ape. Loved that car. Need stock in bulbs for the daytime running lights. Wife hit black ice hit concrete wall doing 70. Car totaled she has a bruise on shoulder. They are a tank. Seats are the most comfortable in the market. I had the straight 5 turbo so do not know about new engines. The old one where simple to work on. Their customer service is like no other car company out there. Truly the best.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I looked at one. Liked it. The stereo is incredible but not sure about the engine. IMO, we're asking too much from these four-bangers with or without turbos.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you live near a dealership with a good service department, go for it. A friend bought a XC90 for his wife-the nearest dealership is 150 miles away in the big city. After about a year and multiple trips back to the dealer for warranty work, the romance wore thin and they traded it in on some kind of Toyota product.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a 1994 Volvo from the local Volvo dealer, in 1995. One year old, off lease. She has since moved on to a Ford Escape Hybrid, but I am driving that 23 year old Volvo on a regular basis.

A friend of ours owned a local chain of auto collision repair shops, he was very experienced in dealing with the aftermath of crashes. Whenever we went out to dinner with him and his wife, he would point at the Volvo and say, "Let's go in the safe car."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
We had a 2004 S60 T(urbo). Very comfortable in the front, no legroom to speak of in the rear seating. We had it for a decade ('05 to '15), and it served us relatively well, but, man, it seemed like there was always something going wrong with that thing, from major things like reboring the engine cylinders to minor irritants like the rear position bulbs shorting out all the time. Much like our bad luck with Ford in the '80s, we gave the brand a shot but won't now do so again.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it matters to you, the S90's are now built in China.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My aunt has had an S80 for a few years, never heard any problems from her about it.

Also:

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between 300+ hp out of a 4 cylinder vs out if a V8?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Detroit Diesel D 15 designed for Semi Trucks is a 6 cylinder.

The number of cylinders is a red herring.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Are you comparing a Detroit Diesel truck engine to an automobile four cylinder?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
The 2017 S90's are built in Sweden. The 2018's are going to be stretched 5 inches and built in China.

Researching the S90's I learned that Ford sold Volvo to a Chinese group - Geely.

A bit of the appeal of the S90 is that I don't see many on the road here. Of course, that can be good and bad. I do have a dealer about 5 miles away.

It is the most expensive of the Sedans that I looking at....Toyota Avalon Limited, Lexus ES350 and the 2018 Acura TLX, being the other three.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Those are all good cars. Likely all will require less expensive maintenance and repairs than the Volvo.
Depends what is important to you, reliability, safety, fuel econ, power, comfort, styling, etc.

I have driven the TLX, pretty good car. I think the Lexus and Volvo are a step up in that group from the Avalon and TLX though. Kinda cant go wrong here, as long as you have the warranty

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

I'm saying that the number of cylinders is only a single variable in many, many, many design considerations.

If an engineer can come to a conclusion that a 6 cylinder diesel is an effective way to move 80,000 lbs, then it's perfectly reasonable that a different engineer can make a 4 cylinder turbo move a 5,000 lb car.

The number of cylinders in an engine has little bearing on whether that engine is suited to the task it was engineered for. It's a red herring. It's a distraction from the real considerations you need to be looking at.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was shopping for my wife's new car we looked at the Volvo's. I liked them, they drove nice, they get great reviews and are safe. They are also waaaaaay overpriced for the product. No problem with that, it is a personal decision. I spent 150 bucks on a Glock trigger that I like but I certainly can't justify the expenditure realistically. To outfit the car the way she wanted I could get the same version of vehicle from multiple other manufacturers for 10's of thousands less. It was crazy. The lower end of the spectrum Volvo (which was still crazy expensive) didn't even have simple things like power outlets in the back.

I, personally, was shocked that these things sell that well.

Ended up with a loaded Toyota Highlander for a shit ton less $$$$, never had a mechanical, comfortable, safe, blah blah blah.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

I'm saying that the number of cylinders is only a single variable in many, many, many design considerations.

If an engineer can come to a conclusion that a 6 cylinder diesel is an effective way to move 80,000 lbs, then it's perfectly reasonable that a different engineer can make a 4 cylinder turbo move a 5,000 lb car.

The number of cylinders in an engine has little bearing on whether that engine is suited to the task it was engineered for. It's a red herring. It's a distraction from the real considerations you need to be looking at.

You're not looking at this right. A semi uses an I6 but they're like 12-14 liter displacement. The Volvo uses a 2.0 engine. That's small. Damm small for a big sedan.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

You're not looking at this right. A semi uses an I6 but they're like 12-14 liter displacement. The Volvo uses a 2.0 engine. That's small. Damm small for a big sedan.

That's what I'm thinking. The ONLY reason car companies are using these tiny engines is for government mandated gas mileage requisites. These engines are working too hard to deliver the goods.

posted Hide Post
My son bought a Volvo because it was incredibly safe . They hated it . Not very reliable either .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post