SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Vegas in two weeks- *UPDATE -Valley of Fire pics - special thanks to beanhead, corsair, and Goose5 **
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Vegas in two weeks- *UPDATE -Valley of Fire pics - special thanks to beanhead, corsair, and Goose5 ** Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Zions Park, Death Valley, and the Grand Canyon are easily drivable. Beware, you may or may not need reservations. I'd check each park's website.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info...

We are going to have rental car and Valley of Fire is confirmed, I’ll spend a day there with my camera gear while my wife spends the day with an old friend who lives in Vegas.

I’m not big on gambling but my wife will toss $100 on the slots while we are there.

Walking the strip and people watching are a given. We aren’t night owls, probably back to our room at the Cosmo by 9 each night.

Food preferences are “traditional”. Nothing too fancy, steaks, seafood, Italian, Chinese, “comfort food” etc. Will have some variety, couple of nice dinners but nothing topping $125 or so for the two of us. Not big drinkers, wife never has more than one and most I’ll have while out is two.

Not real interested in shows, so no worries about cancellations or closings. Some of the other things I am thinking of are the neon museum, mob and law enforcement museum, maybe a drive to Hoover dam.

“Battlefield Vegas” is definitely going to be looked into. I was in Vegas 30 years ago and went to an indoor range that offered full auto rentals. Can’t remember the name but it was a blast. I fired HK MP5 and a Thompson .45.

The idea of giving a mini-gun a try is pretty damn appealing!

Absolutely not COVID concerned. It’s here to stay and I am not going to live in fear of a virus that kills less than 1-2%. Besides, I’ve evidently had it as I tested positive for the anti-gens. I have about 3-4 of the “risk” factors and still it so insignificant I never felt sick. Not even really sure when I had it.

Looking forward to the trip, if only to get away from the wet and gloomy western WA weather for a few days.

Keep the suggestions coming!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

“Battlefield Vegas” is definitely going to be looked into. I was in Vegas 30 years ago and went to an indoor range that offered full auto rentals. Can’t remember the name but it was a blast. I fired HK MP5 and a Thompson .45.

The idea of giving a mini-gun a try is pretty damn appealing!

I don't know what the prices were 30 years ago, but it's freakishly expensive nowadays. It's nearly $2 per round.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
We have a trip booked for early March so I'm following along here as I've never been to Las Vegas. Got a pretty sweet deal through Hilton. Have to sit through a time share presentation but I got 4 nights at the Trump in a suite for $250. Maybe some shows will open up by then with the vaccine coming about. Really hope that the Hoover Dam tours are going by then.

We visited the Grand Canyon earlier this year in March which was awesome. I'm thinking a helicopter tour of Zion would be pretty cool.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking the strip and people watching are a given. We aren’t night owls, probably back to our room at the Cosmo by 9 each night.

Food preferences are “traditional”. Nothing too fancy, steaks, seafood, Italian, Chinese, “comfort food” etc. Will have some variety, couple of nice dinners but nothing topping $125 or so for the two of us. Not big drinkers, wife never has more than one and most I’ll have while out is two.

I actually hate walking the strip, nothing much to see other than the People of Walmart cruising around. If people-watching is your thing, its hard to beat Las Vegas Blvd.

Cosmo is a solid spot for food and centrally located, most of the restaurants are extension of places from elsewhere in the US. Jaleo is a Spanish place from chef Jose Andres, I've entertained a handful of business dinners, fun and lively place for splurge; if you're looking to keep it light, a couple of tapas and drinks at the bar. Holstein is your traditional burger joint, solid and meets most meat expectations. Momofuku is modern Americanized-Asian from chef David Chang, worth the splurge, their dessert place Milk Bar has endless sweets, get the crack pie. For breakfast, Eggslut makes some excellent breakfast sandwiches.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are going to have rental car....

I've trekked to St George 15 times for marathons and triathlons. I finally broke down and went to Zion's this past summer. I was an idiot for putting it off.

If you've the rental car and need a break from the Strip, drive to Zion's. Take a detour in St. George and drive Snow Canyon. Incredible stuff.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I actually hate walking the strip, nothing much to see other than the People of Walmart cruising around. If people-watching is your thing, its hard to beat Las Vegas Blvd.

Cosmo is a solid spot for food and centrally located, most of the restaurants are extension of places from elsewhere in the US. Jaleo is a Spanish place from chef Jose Andres, I've entertained a handful of business dinners, fun and lively place for splurge; if you're looking to keep it light, a couple of tapas and drinks at the bar. Holstein is your traditional burger joint, solid and meets most meat expectations. Momofuku is modern Americanized-Asian from chef David Chang, worth the splurge, their dessert place Milk Bar has endless sweets, get the crack pie. For breakfast, Eggslut makes some excellent breakfast sandwiches.

We are actually staying at the Cosmo, so that is good to hear. Looked like there was a lot of restaurant options based on their website. We are supposed to have a room with a private terrace and a view of the Bellagio fountains.

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

I've trekked to St George 15 times for marathons and triathlons. I finally broke down and went to Zion's this past summer. I was an idiot for putting it off.

If you've the rental car and need a break from the Strip, drive to Zion's. Take a detour in St. George and drive Snow Canyon. Incredible stuff.

Not in great shape these days for too physical of stuff, couple miles of relatively flat isn’t a problem but not much more.

Wife is not a fan of drives or trekking, so the trip to Valley of Fire will probably be it for this visit.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Eat at Bouchon in the Venetian, it is several floors up located near the pool.
French Onion soup is great.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Eat at Bouchon in the Venetian, it is several floors up located near the pool.
French Onion soup is great.

Great googlymoogly everything there is great! We had dinner that was so awesome that we came back from breakfast (staying at Wynn, not there), bought the book and have been cooking some of his stuff ever since. DAMN it's a good spot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pioneer Saloon Goodsprings NV

If you are going to the Valley of Fire, take the time to drive to Goodsprings and have lunch at the Pioneer Saloon. We stopped in on a motorcycle run, had a good lunch, it's historic,

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

Not in great shape these days for too physical of stuff, couple miles of relatively flat isn’t a problem but not much more.

Wife is not a fan of drives or trekking, so the trip to Valley of Fire will probably be it for this visit.

FWIW one of the best views in Zion was maybe a 1/4 mile walk from a small parking lot. Did this on my last day there after a bunch of hiking and was like WTF 200 yards and as good if not better views then the top of Angles Landing. Although if you not going to do much walking Zion is a long drive.

You're enjoy Valley of Fire and you can see amazing things with very little walking. It's an amazing place.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Go eat at Komex. it's korean bbq mexican food fusion. Out of this world. Cheap and delicious. Every person I have brought there are amazed...even those less adventurous about food are converts.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dining is exceptional. If you like Italian, try Rao’s located in Caesars Palace.

------------------------------
U.S. Navy
SACLANT 1997-1999
VF-213 1999-2001

Posts: 124 | Location: Delaware | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Find Leeloo in the Fremont Street Mall and get your photo with her.

Funny thing, well it was pretty funny at there time, I tricked my wife into taking the photo and paying to tip the girl!

I saw Leeloo before my wife did and I asked the wife if she had a couple bucks cash, she did. I took the cash, gave the camera to my wife and said here, take my picture when I tell you to. I took a couple steps and tapped the girl on the shoulder and stuck out the cash... she spun around, grabbed me and posed. I say NOW! Voila, dorky looking hick me with Leeloo before the wife even realized what was happening. Big Grin

I later offered to make it up to her by taking her picture with Elvis or Batman but she declined.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are actually staying at the Cosmo, so that is good to hear. Looked like there was a lot of restaurant options based on their website. We are supposed to have a room with a private terrace and a view of the Bellagio fountains.

Make sure its high up, get too close and you'll be pulling your hair out then asking to relocate as you'll be sick of the lights and blasting music.

Bouchon (chef Thomas Keller) at Venetian is very high up my list, I try to have at least one meal there when visiting. Lots of classic French bistro dishes: fruits de mer (shellfish platter), beef tartare, escargot, steak w/frites, Paris roast chicken, etc...

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The M&M store. You can get any color you like.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I used to visit LV at least once a year but I doubt I'll be back until this Covid thing clears. The vibe just won't be the same until then.

FYI, it's my understanding that reservations are required at all restaurants. I believe it's state mandated.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Edited original post...

Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I never checked on this thread as I made a last minute decision to go to Vegas this past weekend. I stayed at Bally's.

Flew in early Friday afternoon, and flew back out mid-afternoon on Sunday.

You're right, it was really nice to be able to dine indoors, which is currently not available to do in Southern California.

My family normally go to Vegas this time of the year because even without COVID, it is not terribly crowded. This year my family opted out due to COVID concerns, and ultimately I decided to fly solo. I'm glad I did.

Now if only Notre Dame played a little better, I might have even won some money...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post