SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you like tools and metal and skills watch this
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you like tools and metal and skills watch this Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I had never heard of Evapo-Rust before.
Saw the video on their website.
I'm going to have to try that on my antique tools!

Kanolabs (Kroil) also makes an excellent rust remover, called Exrust.

Exrust

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is seriously amazing stuff in my opinion. There are other means of non destructive rust removal but the ease of treatment, this is a winner. Get as much oil, grease and general filth removed before submerging. If the part is not dully submerged, a discolored line and metal erosion will appear at the "water line". This is due to the product constantly attacking the perpetual oxidation at that transition where the part is exposed to oxygen.

I hose the part off afterwards and dry with air quickly, then spray with wd40 or similar.

The part can be left in the solution for days but it will darken the steel if left too long. 10 hours seems to be a sweet spot for me. Lightly scour with steel wool or scotchbrite.

The product can be reused as well.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting Rust removal comparison.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
quote:

It is seriously amazing stuff in my opinion. There are other means of non destructive rust removal but the ease of treatment, this is a winner. Get as much oil, grease and general filth removed before submerging. If the part is not dully submerged, a discolored line and metal erosion will appear at the "water line". This is due to the product constantly attacking the perpetual oxidation at that transition where the part is exposed to oxygen.

I hose the part off afterwards and dry with air quickly, then spray with wd40 or similar.

The part can be left in the solution for days but it will darken the steel if left too long. 10 hours seems to be a sweet spot for me. Lightly scour with steel wool or scotchbrite.

The product can be reused as well.

I just started using it this year and it really is amazing. Made some neglected, not by me, Dillon dies look almost new.

The instructions say to leave them submerged 24 hours which worked well on items just covered in rust. I take the items out afterwards and submerge them in a pan of running water, then I drench them with home made case lube in another pan.

I used it on some shell holders which just had some spots on them and leaving them 24hours definately darkened them, almost looking as it they were blued...I sort of like the look

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
more entertaining than I expected ,
I love it when a plan comes together,

with his skills , I wonder if he could have just made one and saved all the time of rust removal Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7m7Bv98zs

antique pipe cutter resto

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post