SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rolex advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolex advice Login/Join 
posted
Hey can anyone help me to get a value on my Rolex Submariner no date.
I bought it new in 1993 and it's been in the safe for about 6 years so I'm going to sell it off but i don't want to give it away.
Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Some of the value depends on how complete it is, and the condition and service history. Easiest thing to do is use watchrecon.com and look for comps.

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
Is it a 16610 or a 14060...or is it one of the precious metal or two tone variants? Those factors will determine its value to a buyer. When was it last serviced? Subs hold their value incredibly well, so you're in luck. My estimate for a recently serviced 14060 is about $5900, with the 16610 (Sub date) going for $6500-ish. My favorite benchmark for pre-owned pristine Rolexes is www.davidsw.com

Alternatively, check the classifieds at the rolexforums.com.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bob's Watches (Google) will help with a retail price. Make sure you compare it to the exact reference number. DavidSW also seems to be good, although I don't know them. My comments here apply to used watch dealers in general.

You have to be honest with yourself about the condition. Little scratches that won't bother you may drive a buyer nuts. When was it last serviced? Is it in need of a $750 service - which is what Rolex charges to service a watch?

Do you have the box and papers? They add a little to the price.

And remember that Bob's (or any sellers') price IS NOT the price you will get for it. Bob's Watches will make you an offer, but it will be for significantly less than Bob's retail price. This is to cover costs, including the cost of the watch potentially sitting there for sale for five months. It isn't a lowball offer, it is business.

You can sell it yourself for more than a re-seller will offer you, but probably not for as much as a seller like Bob's will get. You don't have Bob's reputation or marketing power. No one knows if you will take it back or fix it if there turns out to be a problem.

Rolex Forums has a buy and sell subsection, and you can look there for other indications of a selling price from one watch fan to another.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is it in need of a $750 service - which is what Rolex charges to service a watch?

Yup, and that's what they charge if it doesn't need a new crystal and crown. Crowns are roughly $75 extra, and crystals are in the $200 range.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the sales forums at Timezone.com. You can get a general feel for the value.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What model is it and what condition. You most likely can sell it here pretty quick if you're realistic with your price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice above. Condition, paperwork and boxes all affect the value. If not serviced, the seals are old and it will not be waterproof. Post a few pics, and folks here can narrow it down for you, especially the face.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I can help out if you need. My email is david@mimisjewelryinc.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post