SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I could probably send out a few MC Whites and Platinum if someone wants to try. Just let me know.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoking a Man O War Ruination while clearing snow. We got about 5 or 6 inches that I needed to shovel off of the decks and walkways. I started shoveling the driveway and decided to take the mower deck off and put the plow on the tractor. Everything performed as intended!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Man O War Legend that I got from CI in the mail yesterday.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Jeff that is a fine looking British regional RA

Enjoy !

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Enjoying a Punch Punch from 2011.

posted Hide Post
Back to the humidor/humidity issue, I used two Boveda 69% packs, and they didn't work well enough, dropping over 10% below the 69% level I was hoping for, and it's still dropping. I asked CI's opinion and they said to try the crystals, but customers are having trouble with them as well, mostly from overfilling with distilled water due to poor instructions.

I think for the winter I'll just go back to using the humidifier I got with the humidor and re-fill it as necessary, then try either the Boveda 72% packs or the crystals next summer when the humidity is higher.

Maybe I should re-season it every couple months, too. It's a relatively small humidor (50 capacity, I think) and not enough room for one of the bigger humidifiers.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I suspect it is leaking / humidity is escaping. I know Jeff mentioned the dollar bill test earlier but by chance is this a glass top humidor? Those are notoriously leaky.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Back to the humidor/humidity issue, I used two Boveda 69% packs, and they didn't work well enough, dropping over 10% below the 69% level I was hoping for, and it's still dropping. I asked CI's opinion and they said to try the crystals, but customers are having trouble with them as well, mostly from overfilling with distilled water due to poor instructions.

I think for the winter I'll just go back to using the humidifier I got with the humidor and re-fill it as necessary, then try either the Boveda 72% packs or the crystals next summer when the humidity is higher.

Maybe I should re-season it every couple months, too. It's a relatively small humidor (50 capacity, I think) and not enough room for one of the bigger humidifiers.

From a couple of your posts about the humidor...it seems like the problem is your humidor. It shouldn't be leaking as you describe. If it were me, especially during the dry winterer months I'd set up a tupperdor. They are cheap and they work.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I suspect it is leaking / humidity is escaping. I know Jeff mentioned the dollar bill test earlier but by chance is this a glass top humidor? Those are notoriously leaky.

No, solid wood. Mahogany, they claim, with the cedar inserts. No hole in it for a hygrometer, either. The lid seems a tight fit, too, as it feels like you're compressing air as it closes the last little bit. It's certainly not expensive, though. CI has a similar one on their website for $30.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
...If it were me, especially during the dry winterer months I'd set up a tupperdor...

I assume you mean just a standard Tupperware container? My girlfriend has a couple.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
How stocked is your humidor? Glass top or solid wood? How much humidity is in your house?

I had these issues with a small glass topped humidor. I even sealed around the glass on the outside with clear silicone to experience no change. I then bought a larger humidor, the El Diablo from CI, that worked ok...until winter hit. Nothing I did or used could keep the humidity where I wanted it for any prolonged period of time. Until I bought the Humicare version of the Oasis ultra. It has now maintained 67-68% for years with nothing more than adding distilled water when it is low.

My brother-in-law was experiencing extremely low humidity with beads and Boveda packs in his 100 count humidor. He was looking at buying a new humidor and I told him to try the Oasis micro, or whatever the smallest one is, before he spent the money on a new humidor. He has thanked me numerous times for the recommendation.

A friend of mine had similar results as the two of us and has had his micro for about a year now. His is holding steady at 70% year round.

Both are tickled pink about their humidifiers as am I with mine. Money well spent and if we would have got one from the start, would have saved money and headaches over time.

Look into the smallest Oasis or Humicare unit when money allows and don't look back!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see you replied as I was typing. Forget about the glass top question.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
For a 50 count to work well it should have 15-30 cigars.

For Tupperware you want it to seal like this one from Amazon. I bought one from target. You will see what was frequently purchased was a tray and hydrometer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...PFS09CZ9PEECXJ7EX7ZF

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
...I bought the Humicare version of the Oasis ultra. It has now maintained 67-68% for years with nothing more than adding distilled water when it is low...

You mentioned this solution before. I'll have to try it, but for the moment I'll stick with frequently adding water to the cheap humidifier that came with the humidor, since I'd have to buy a bigger one to allow room for the humidifier. Either that, or try Jeff's Tupperware idea.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
...For Tupperware you want it to seal like this one from Amazon. I bought one from target. You will see what was frequently purchased was a tray and hydrometer...

Not bad! For $54 you get what you need, including the Caliber IV hygrometer. Cheaper than getting most humidors alone.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
The smallest one can mount on the lid of the humidor. The water will not leak out of it. It doesn't take up any floor space.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, petr.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in trading some sticks for a box? I have a box (now 23 sticks) of H. Upmann Petite Coronos with code TOS Nov 2016 that didn't do it for me. I picked them up for a quick 30-45 min smoke but I prefer Monte media corona or Monte 4s. The box is taking up precious space in my humidor that I'd rather have for something else. This cigar is being discontinued.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post