SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I found out some information on Friday night that I am anxious to get in my hands. I know it is not a premium cigar by any means but, Asylum is making a Schizo maduro!! It should be on the floor in a month or so. For $2 a stick, they smoke like a $4 or $5 stick and if these stay on the same price point, my be a new go to yard-gar for me.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
C.I. has a special now on Nub cigars, 2 each of 5 different cigars $40. I grilled King Salmon tonight and had a box pressed Nub Cameroon Torpedo waiting for the coals. Everything I've tried from this sampler is good. It's still available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Staying with the Alec Bradley theme, tonight I had a Conneticut - tasty, but toward the end it got ugly fast - soured on me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I finally have some time to sit and type!!! Friday night was a pretty good evening. I got to shoot the breeze with Pete Johnson as was mentioned in a previous post. CI was running a deal of buy 4 get one free, so I picked up 2 Havana VI churchills, a Reserva Nicaraguan 7th, and 2 Black label petite lanceros. I also had two coupons for $10 off of $50, so I also picked up an Oliva V nub and 3 Blend Lab YH-456. I then sat at the bar for a bit and went back down to use the second coupon. This go around, I picked up the Fat Camp super sampler which included 3 each of Nub Maduro 460, Obsidian Gordo, Ave Marie Ark of the Covenant, Cuba Libre The Brute, and Diesel Shorty. While I was there, I also picked up a bundle of Schizo robustos.

I smoked a Tatuaje Black label petite lancero while I was there and this is a very good cigar. This was the first one I had and will not be the last. I also smoked a Blend Lab YH-456 there too to end evening.

Saturday, I was working on the deck once again and grabbed a Cuba Libre from the sampler pack. This is a fine cigar that comes in at 4.5"x60. The burn time was around and hour and did not require any touch ups and burned straight the whole way. I was picking up a hint of cocoa and not much else as I wasn't paying too much attention to the cigar. It wasn't bad though and left a pleasant after taste.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I put some of these on preorder I can't wait for them to come in. I'm a sucker for pelo de Oro from Pepin Garcia's farm. The last one I know of was the Pepin Garcia 10th anniversary cigar.

http://halfwheel.com/latelier-...-shipping-next-month

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete said that the Côte d’Or tobacco was grown in individual pots to help prevent the mold problem. He also said that the Chucky from the Pudgy Monsters is going to be released also. It will be a different name, though unfortunately, I forget what that name is!!!!

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
There are some good cigars coming out soon. The cote d or, also Crowned Heads las Calaveras 2015 will be out in a few weeks. The las Calaveras sold out their allotment to retailers so if you see them in a store that's all they will receive. Crowned a Heads TAA will be out in June.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mowed about half of the yard this evening, now it's time to relax! I grabbed a Tatuaje 10th anniversary and a Sierra Nevada Beer Camp.to help.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Last evening I talked to Pete Johnson about the 10th anniversary and he had a quizzical look on his face. He asked what my humidor was at, 63-65% and he told me that is on the dry side. Too dry and the oils get drawn out and cedar and spice come to the front of the palate. I should bump up to 67-68% and the oils should remain. Most of all, he told me to experiment with my second humidor to see what I pefer and if it will help. Overall, a great guy that shot the shit with me for a good half hour about lots of things.

Petr:

Thanks for posting this. I could duplicate this conversation nearly word-for-word. After reading I adjusted the humidor to cold closer to 69% - Had a Miami 10th last night, WONDERFUL! Now, I cannot say there was a psychological effect taking place, but who cares. There was a noticeable difference in the taste of the cigar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My humidor is up too, and I did notice a difference. Though nothing like they were, as I think once the oils leave, they do not come back. I hope I am wrong and they pick up more flavors!

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Dawned on me that I have not smoked Cigar Aficionado's cigar of the year for 2014. Tonight we remedy that. Hello Olivia Serie V!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Dawned on me that I have not smoked Cigar Aficionado's cigar of the year for 2014. Tonight we remedy that. Hello Olivia Serie V!

One of my fav's! Let us know what you think.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Another My Father #5 for me tonight.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I was concerned at first, really REALLY tight draw, now I'm into it a bit and I like it so far. Tasting something sweet, and the burn is perfect so far.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Oliva makes a damn fine cigar. I loves me the V nub!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

One of my fav's! Let us know what you think.

Yep, mine too! I always have Oliva V's in my humidor.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
So, got any recommendations for a newbie? Used to smoke cigarettes ages ago but just kinda quit it. Lately though been having a hankering for something light & mild to have while winding down after a day of yard maintenance or while cleaning up after a day in the shop.

Been checking over the Cigars Intl site but not too keen on flopping down money on a sampler pack without reviews from more trusted random people than the completely random reviews on their site.

So yeah, what're your suggestions, or should I track down the closest (probably an hour or so away) shop and ask?

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The My Father Connecticut or the Man O War Virtue are two great mild cigars. Fuente makes good cigars too, UT the first two have more flavors in my opinion.

A lot of those samplers Mrs good and a great way to find what you like or don't like. Right now, CI has a deal on Man O War with a nice samlet of different bodied (strength ) cigars. http://www.cigarsinternational...sh/man-o-war-mayhem/

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Chach,

I think that getting a catalog from CI for JR is a really good idea to start - as you flip thru them you learn more and more about flavor profiles. Here is a tip that will last you a lifetime...cool, shiny, manely labels do necessarily equate to quality sticks.

Regarding the cigar shop, do they focus on cigars are are they a tobacco store that happens to sell some cigars. Major difference.

My e-mail is in my profile, send me a note and I will send you a bunch of catalogs I've been hanging on to - I'll even throw in a few things for you to smoke!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Chach try AVO Davidoff or Dunhill They are high quality premium smokes which will be on the mild - medium side.

I usually recommend a good quality smoke for someone's first so they can have a good first impression. If you enjoy it you can always begin trying less expensive smokes.

Chi Chi, get the yayo