SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the 2017 & 2018 cubans seem really wet. Months at 65Rh don't really help. Monte, Punch, QdO and HdM seem to smoke well young, R&J, partegas, bolivar seem to not burn well. Wrappers seem wet. When they do smoke well the wrapper should burn white not dark gray.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I've noticed the 2017 & 2018 cubans seem really wet. Months at 65Rh don't really help. Monte, Punch, QdO and HdM seem to smoke well young, R&J, partegas, bolivar seem to not burn well. Wrappers seem wet. When they do smoke well the wrapper should burn white not dark gray.

Are you seeing that they are not staying lit either?

I had that issue with a box of Punch and planning ahead I had some success with dry-boxing a few at a time...pain-in-the-ass though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This is a pretty comprehensive look at many of the sticks we smoke. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

https://apple.news/AWPtp3xqUQ5eoOyUpydvy5w

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

In Havana in May they told us there was a tobacco shortage and as a result the warehouses were empty and they were shipping fresh rolled cigars. Makes sense based on what you posted.

I store mine at 60rh and 65f. I think dry boxing is necessary on recen date codes.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My wonderful gal pal friend gave me a sampler pack for Christmas last year and I tried this from it last night:

WHOA!!! It was STOUT!!! I believe it was a Robusto...couldn't finish it. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHOA!!! It was STOUT!!! I believe it was a Robusto...couldn't finish it.

Rocky's sticks can have a bit of a kick to them. If I may ask, what were you pairing it with?

If you drink alcohol, then that is a good scotch cigar. The peatiness of the scotch will smooth the cigar as well as make the scotch very comfortable to sip 'neat'.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I was sipping some Woodford Reserve and that seemed to "tame" the cigar just a bit. But not enough, I guess...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Gents, anyone have a few quality Upmann Mag 54s I could try out? Gladly trade a few nice sticks for a few nice sticks.

Very much looking forward to the cool down in FL in about 3 weeks. Humidity starts dropping and my thy time on the back pool deck starts increasing. We have the Clearwater power boats races on Sunday that we'll raft up, grill out, and enjoy a nice smoke.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Broke out a Monte #2, box code FEB 2014. Sharing some puffs with my wife. In honor of today's historic confirmation. More winning!

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanted to say thanks to Jeff for this fine custom stick. I believe this was an Alex rolled stick. Not sure if it was supposed to be a copy of the Monte 80th or not but damn it was good. Like really, really good. I was able to enjoy this past Sunday as it was really our first day down here with no humidity.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
No connoisseur by any means, but I enjoy an occasional cigar and these CAO MX2's I've developed a liking for - relatively inexpensive and locally available (which is important in my out of the way corner of the world lol).

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried a HC Series Black Maduro this evening -- Ugh! Too peppery and strong for my (still a neophyte) taste.

I won't blame it entirely on the cigar, though, since I've been having more trouble with my humidor lately, humidity bouncing from 58% to over 80% despite trying to keep it balanced. The poor thing may have been waterlogged!

The humidor got re-seasoned over the weekend, though, and I'm trying for 65% to 70%, so in another few days I've got some Montecristo Media Noches that I'll try.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
You really should have to season a humidor a second time.

What size is it

How many cigars are in it?

What are you using for humidification?

For example a 50 count humidor needs 20-30 cigars to operate well. The sponge type humidifiers aren't very consistent. Two boveda packs will keep a humidor running just fine. If you are concerned about air leaking from the humidor use tupperware.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, GA Gator.

Forty cigar capacity, about 30 in it.

I tried Boveda packs without success last spring. IIRC I got a couple 68%, but they only got the humidor up to about 60%. I was going to order some 75% from CI, but they're usually out of stock, and nobody sells them locally. It just occurred to me that I should try Amazon, since my GF paid for Prime service, so I wouldn't incur shipping charges.

This past weekend was the third time I seasoned the humidor, and I know I should have done it a month or two back. And yes, I'm using a sponge-type humidifier and distilled water, but it works better if I remember to re-season.

That's why I'm not really blaming the cigar tonight, it could well be my inexperience. By next week, everything should be settled in, and the next smoke should be better. I don't get many chances to light up, but I remember the last one was good, and a relatively mild cigar, so there's that, too.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question: I just checked Amazon, they have Boveda 60 packs. Should I order the 75% in order to get about 68-72%?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Question: I just checked Amazon, they have Boveda 60 packs. Should I order the 75% in order to get about 68-72%?

75% is‘seasoning’ humidity. I would just add a couple extra 68 or 72 until you get the desired humidity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The article with Johnathon Drew of Drew Estates is worth a read:

5 Cigars That Made My Career

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
The article with Johnathon Drew of Drew Estates is worth a read:

5 Cigars That Made My Career

Good read, I came onto Liga Privada a little over a year ago, the T52 has become one of my top three. The top three being, Padron 1964 Exclusivio Maduro, T52 and Anejo 46.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed a Liga Feral Flying pig yesterday. Really like those and the T52s. I have a Pappy in my humidor from the local Barnsmoker event back in May.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
...I would just add a couple extra 68 or 72 until you get the desired humidity.

OK, thanks, Ronin.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18