SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Sorry, petr, neither of those meet one of my requirements -- the "not-too-expensive" requirement! Wink

For a hunnert'n change I'll go with the Bovida setup.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It may be that my humidor is too cheap, since it was part of a CI special.

You might be better off with Tupperware.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Take a dollar and close the humidor with 1/2 in and 1/2 out...

It passed this test quite well, a lot of resistance when I pulled on the bill. To be thorough, I tried it at each side of the opening, and it was consistent.

The humidity was 67% when I did the test just now, so I'll try and keep my curiosity under control until either I pull out a smoke for this evening, or this time tomorrow.

In either event, I put a couple 65% Boveda packs on my CI Wish List.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While they are $100, if I would have gone with one from the start, I would have saved money in the long run. I had a large jar of beads and another large jar of "black ice" in mine and both could not keep up. One thing that did well was kitty litter. The crystal type as it acted like the glass Heartfelt beads where it gives and takes humidity in the humidor. The final straw was when it could not maintain 67% in the dead of winter. When you open up and see 59% even after spraying the litter again, I got fed up, bit the bullet and have not looked back.

Your humidor is constructed well if it is passing the dollar bill test. Exterior conditions matter as well as interior conditions when it comes to holding proper humidity levels.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
...Exterior conditions matter as well as interior conditions when it comes to holding proper humidity levels.

Yes. And opening it to check the humidity is adding to the problem, I'm sure, exposing it to room humidity, about 35% this time of year. I'll try neglect (less frequent checking) and post the results.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Heartfelt beads. Use them in my wineadors and have not looked back since. Boveda work ok but on really dry days they could not keep up.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
There are dry days in Houston???

Razz

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
It happens. Sometimes. But on a serious note, the last couple weeks it has been reading 40% rh on my exterior hydro.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Having a hard to find stick tonight.

posted Hide Post
Anyone heard of Amigosdecigars? I've started getting emails from them.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
How was it Jeff? Regionals have all been really good so far. The Casanova is one of my Favorites despite its short size.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
How was it Jeff? Regionals have all been really good so far. The Casanova is one of my Favorites despite its short size.

It was awesome. Bursting with sharp flavors, milk chocolate and bright fruit.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
On tonight's menu, a Bolivar Super Corona from 2014.

posted Hide Post
Enjoying this H. Upmann this evening.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
A different H Upmann tonight. Magnum 46. Not bad, not great. Good burn, smooth with some grassy notes, but a little bland I feel. http://i.imgur.com/GT82ASK.jpg

I tried that Upmann by AJ Fernandez above and it was pretty strong pepper. Didn’t even finish it. Hope yours was better.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^ Those definitely improve with age. I smoked a couple out of a box from 2013 that were forgettable, really bland. I stashed the cab away and forgot about it. I tried one a few weeks ago and it was amazing.

posted Hide Post
I have some Montecristo Medianoches arriving tomorrow. Any thoughts on how long the should sit in my humidor before smoking them?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The media noches are really good. If they are coming from CI id rest them a week at least. I usually smoke one right off the truck though.

posted Hide Post
It had a mild pepper and strong hits of cappuccino about half way through. I think this one was better than the first one I had.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
The media noches are really good. If they are coming from CI id rest them a week at least. I usually smoke one right off the truck though.

You're right, they're from CI, along with a couple Bovida humidifiers and a CI smiley magnet ( Smile with a cigar and beard stubble!). After I re-treat my humidor, I'll rest the cigars for a week -- if I can wait that long, I'm anxious to experience the Montecristo reputation!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Lighting up a Paul Garmirian (Davidoff) rolled in 1996.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post