SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
That sounds interesting. Fresh rolled are always a treat. How are they? What blends have you guys tried?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advice needed --

I've been humidifying my cigars since I got them a few weeks ago, tonight was the first time I actually tried one. A Nica Libre Toro. I used a Bic butane lighter to warm the tip, then tried to get it to burn with little success at first, applied more flame, and pulled on it. I think I over-heated it trying to get it lit, maybe by drawing too frequently and too hard. The Bic lighter doesn't put out as much flame as I remember from my cigarette days, and I couldn't get the tip evenly lit. After a couple minutes the whole cigar was hot, and tasted pretty nasty.

Any suggestions? CI has a special on the Nica Libre Toro for the next day or so, and if I can get the hang of it, I'll order more. The advertised taste seems it would be something I'd like.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used a Bic butane lighter to warm the tip

Lighters are like holsters, before you are done you will end up with a box of different shapes and sizes. After years in the cigar game, here is my current setup:

Quality single flame torch is my go-to. I never inhale flame, just continue to heat the foot and blow until the tip is completely lit. The other advantage of a torch is 'touching up' edges that tend to run.

I used to be a fan of the triple flame, but under normal conditions they tend to be too much flame and light more than just the foot. Always keep one in your kit for windy conditions though!

I have a process for matches as well, along with a very nice soft flame that I use on some sticks. But...get rid of the bic. The flame just won't get hot enough to effectively light a good cigar.

Get rid of the bic. They just don't get hot enough.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at this one from CI, called the Black Ops. Single-flame, not real expensive, but overall good reviews. What are your thoughts?
https://www.cigarsinternationa...rs/1480622/#p-131158

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Advice needed --

I've been humidifying my cigars since I got them a few weeks ago, tonight was the first time I actually tried one. A Nica Libre Toro. I used a Bic butane lighter to warm the tip, then tried to get it to burn with little success at first, applied more flame, and pulled on it. I think I over-heated it trying to get it lit, maybe by drawing too frequently and too hard. The Bic lighter doesn't put out as much flame as I remember from my cigarette days, and I couldn't get the tip evenly lit. After a couple minutes the whole cigar was hot, and tasted pretty nasty.

Any suggestions? CI has a special on the Nica Libre Toro for the next day or so, and if I can get the hang of it, I'll order more. The advertised taste seems it would be something I'd like.

They may be over humidified. Are you using a calibrated hygrometer? What is the RH?

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I've been looking at this one from CI, called the Black Ops. Single-flame, not real expensive, but overall good reviews. What are your thoughts?
https://www.cigarsinternationa...rs/1480622/#p-131158

Personally I would stay away from a lighter that requires refill cartridges. I carry a small can of butane in my kit.

My email is in my profile....please send me your address. I know of the perfect lighter to send you, you can build from there. I apologize in advance if a couple of sticks accidently come with the lighter!

To add - You Tube is a treasure trove of info on watching solid lighting technique.

To add, part 2: What Jeff said above....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

They may be over humidified. Are you using a calibrated hygrometer? What is the RH?

Yes. I calibrated one we got years ago using a method on CI's website, it seems pretty accurate, and the humidor is at between 62% and 68%.

Just today I received a new hygrometer/thermometer from CI, one that had about 40 customer reviews, all very positive. I'll put it to use tomorrow, after I finish testing it.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
Ronin, that's very kind of you. I'll e-mail you tonight. In the meantime, can you suggest a good method using stick matches? I've got a couple boxes of them, and would like to get started in time to take advantage of CI's sale.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
can you suggest a good method using stick matches?

Yep. This video describes how I always match-light a cigar. I keep a small multi-tool in my bag so that I can grab the end of the match til the very end.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
...This video describes how I always match-light a cigar...

Interesting, at the end he says he doesn't use this method for taste testing, just when he's smoking for his own pleasure. I wonder how he normally does it?

Time to go back to CI's website and check their tutorials again... Smile

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/KVDfM

Sorry guys, was trying to post something via Imgur.

Rather than Yuuuge I went for a link that maybe works.

Anyway, pic tonight of me smoking one of those great H Upmanns by AJ Fernandez while finishing off Hatch Chile bacon. It was about to go bad, and bacon can be a midnight snack right?

Watching In Like Flint on the iPad - such a fun movie.

Also added - went by FedEx Office today and they told me we don't ship tobacco. OK.

Going to go back tomorrow with the things already packed. I've flown across oceans with explosives and lithium batteries - a few stogies are bad?

If anyone wants some of these beauties hit my profile email and they are on the way!

Also Jay send me your info again. - I think I have it but I'm not sure.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
That sounds interesting. Fresh rolled are always a treat. How are they? What blends have you guys tried?

Jay:

I've ordered from them a few times now and really get enjoyment from the sticks. Due to recent circumstances (LOL) I have your updated address. Don't buy anything yet, I'm going to put a care package in the mail Wednesday.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Furlough, no uppmans for me thanks though. I have some resting. 3am on a Tuesday is reason enough for bacon. You dont need an excuse, its bacon!

John, they have a deplorable cigar club which sounds tempting, i will wait for a sample before pulling the trigger, might make a trip that way soon and get some fresh rolled.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Jay,

Thanks, no worries. Yes, it is bacon!

If you go up to Austin go to the Bobalu shop on Burnet Road on the north side of town. That is where they do most of their rolling and there is always someone knowledgeable working the counter.

I've been a Deplorable for the last year but honestly the cigars just keep piling up! Not that it is a bad thing, but I my stash is getting Yuuuuge!

But it's like ammo, right? Too many cigars? Unpossible!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
can you suggest a good method using stick matches?

Yep. This video describes how I always match-light a cigar. I keep a small multi-tool in my bag so that I can grab the end of the match til the very end.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YOem4JswMCk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Pretty cool

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
That is Unpossible, lmao Big Grin Wait until you start buying extra humidors.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

You may have something there, Jeff. The new hygrometer says it's about 74% inside the box, nearly 10% higher than the old hygrometer read. That should still be within acceptable limits, but I think I'll quit refreshing the humidifier for a few days until the humidity drops back to about 70%. CI's website recommended something like 68% here in the upper US, 72% if we're in the tropics.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Hi gents, over the past few months I've been enjoying some cigars with friends. I would like to expand on my selections. As a beginner I've been sticking to the Java Maduro by Drew Estate/Rocky Patel and some mild offerings from Davidoff. I tried a Maker's Mark bourbon cigar last week and it was kind of meh. I realize these are probably a far cry from what some of you gents in this thread enjoy. My grandfather has smoked for years. From what I can remember he smoked Punch Grand Cru Diademas, other types of Punch, and various Macanudos. There would also be some Montecristo and Romeos mixed in.

Are there different retailers like JR or Thompson who have decent sampler packs or other retailers where you can select several singles?
I look forward to indulging with some assistance from the SF members.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Atlantic cigars, Jr cigars, Small batch cigars and purocigar.com are who i use.

Newtosig, I would try to get your humidity down to 65% i keep mine at 65/65% and that seems to reduce any draw or Tar/oily cigar problems. If adjusting temp is hard to do better to get your humidity low so temp fluctuations dont impact humidity much.

posted Hide Post
Steelcityfishanddive, check Cigars International, as I do. Get on their e-mail list for specials.

Also, Cigars Direct is in Tampa.

Jay, I'll do that. Ronin is sending me a proper lighter, maybe by the time it arrives my cigars will be stabilized at 65%.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18