SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sanibel Island red tide
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanibel Island red tide Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The author of the article confirmed a measurement of 140 million cells/L off of Sanibel at the boat ramp near the causeway. Not sure of the date the measurement was taken.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Now it is 140 million? I still don't buy it.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Most places have measured it at 2.5 million around Saninbel, but now they are saying 100? I don't know if I buy that one. That sounds a bit like wildlife people trying to get attention.

Just go visit, take your own readings and tell us what's really happening there....

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:

Just go visit, take your own readings and tell us what's really happening there....

Why don't you read all the other stories about it online, and maybe you can answer why one conservation foundation suddenly has readings 98 million cells higher than everyone else, that suddenly jumps up another 40 million on the phone. Could it be true? Maybe, but it is curious.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It could change quickly, but it seems to be easing up a bit.

Yesterday
quote:

LOWER VOLUME WASHING ASHORE ON GULF SIDE & INTO EAST SIDE CANALS: Total volume collected from beaches only (NOT including canals) through August 8th is 535,000 pounds (267 tons)

IN A NUTSHELL- The City continues the collection and removal that began on Saturday, July 28th. As of close of business August 8th the City of Sanibel has collected & removed 535,095 pounds (267 tons) of dead sea life from our beaches. This amount does include the carcass of the 21 foot whale shark that came ashore on July 22nd as well as the 72 Goliath Groupers & the 14 Tarpons washed ashore as of yesterday. The amount does not include the amount from the canals. Beginning Today's report indicates as the past four days, today the dead sea life deposits are lighter on the Gulf-side. Beginning yesterday we did also see less dead fish in the east end canals of the Island. Prior to yesterday we have been averaging 250 to 300 bags of dead fish from the east end canals yesterday our total was 80 bags.

Based on tides, winds and currents, these conditions may alter quickly and significantly.

Lighthouse Beach
Current Conditions: Good (Fishing Pier Area) Fair (Gulf-side)
Red Tide: Present
Odor: Strong (Fishing Pier Area) Slight (Gulf-side)
Deposits: Approximately 10 to 15 dead sea life every 10 feet; (Fishing Pier area) no dead fish present to surf, (Gulf-side) dead fish present in water

Sanibel Boat Ramp
Current Conditions: Fair
Odor: None Present
Deposits: 13 dead fish every 10 feet; dead fish also floating in water near shore

Algiers Beach (Gulf-side City Park)
Current Conditions: Good
Odor: Present
Deposits: Approximately 3 dead sea life every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Tarpon Bay Beach
Current Conditions: Good to Excellent
Red Tide: Low
Odor: Not Present
Deposits: None present; none present floating in water

Bowman's Beach
Current Conditions: Fair
Red Tide: Not Present
Odor: Not Present
Deposits: Approximately 4 to 5 dead fish every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Blind Pass
Current Conditions: Good
Red Tide: Slight to Moderate presence
Odor: Slight
Deposits: Approximately 4 to 5 dead sea life every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Turner Beach Park
Current Conditions: Good to Excellent
Red Tide: Not present
Odor: None
Deposits: Zero deposits of dead fish present; none present floating in water

Today
quote:
IN A NUTSHELLToday, Friday, August 10, 2018 brings major changes to our beaches. As of this morning all Sanibel beaches from Lighthouse to Turner are in "Very Good" to "Excellent" condition. As of noon a total of 30 bags of dead sea life, mostly fish, has been collected mostly from Bowman's to Turners. A photo is worth a thousand words & here our photos from our beaches. Additionally, thus far today our west end canals & bayous are also looking much improved as well as the east end canals. The only area with Red Tide respiratory irritation this morning has been a "moderate" amount on the far north-west end of the Island.

http://www.mysanibel.com/Depar...ry-Good-to-Excellent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I had a manatee swim by my dock yesterday. You have to be lucky to see them. So all hope isn’t lost yet.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
I had a manatee swim by my dock yesterday. You have to be lucky to see them. So all hope isn’t lost yet.

Good. Thank you for the first hand information. I am hoping a series of good events clears out the salt water and fresh water blooms.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The Google Earth map from http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS shows the area surrounding Cape Coral to be at background/<10K cell count.

http://myfwc.com/media/4478433/ge-08-10-18.kmz

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
This pretty much ensures SW Florida will be a disaster zone for the foreseeable future.

quote:
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that it will increase the discharges from Lake Okeechobee beginning on Friday, as Southwest Florida residents continue to battle the blue-green algae blooms that are plaguing local waterways.

Engineers say that the adjusted releases are expected to achieve a 14-day average of 2,000 cubic feet per second from Moore Haven Lock, which feeds into the Caloosahatchee River, and a 1,500 cubic feet per second pulse from St. Lucie Lock. Army Corps Jacksonville District Commander Col. Jason Kirk visited Fort Myers last week with Congressman Francis Rooney to speak with local leaders about the impact of blue-green algae and red tide.

During that visit he told reporters that while engineers were working diligently to reduce the impact on Southwest Florida waterways, the safety of those living below the Herbert Hoover Dike which hems in the southern half of Lake Okeechobee, was the first priority. In his announcement Thursday, Kirk said the releases were essential to keep the lake at a safe level.

“With continued paramount focus on Herbert Hoover Dike safety throughout 2018, we need to make increased discharges to slow the still dangerous rise in lake levels,” said Kirk. “In concert with the South Florida Water Management District, we continue to maximize storage north and south of the lake to minimize the requirement for discharges.”

Kirk said that the lake’s water level was at 14.57 feet on Thursday, a higher stage than when Hurricane Irma hit last September, after which it surged to over 17 feet. The Army Corps starts to worry about possible dike failure after water levels exceed 17 feet. The Herbert Hoover Dike has been on the list of federal projects in need of serious repair for over a decade
http://naplesherald.com/2018/0...ee-releases-ramp-up/

Some of you said it is hitting the East Coast as well. Has it hit Ormond Beach or Daytona?

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It’s almost like a hurricane would be a good thing now to dilute and dissipate all the garbage

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lake Okeechobee is controlled by locks. BUT, when they dump the freshwater when Lake Okeechobee gets too high (which is horrible and filled with neon green algae and fertilizers) the water comes out of the Caloosahachee river and dumps right through Fort Myers and Sanibel on the way to the ocean and the nutrient rich freshwater in concentrations much higher than is natural drops the salinity content greatly and causes these algae blooms. Lake Okeechobee is also dumped on the East coast and comes out in Palm City/Stuart depending on where they open the flood gates and locks.

They're idiots, instead of slowly dumping the water earlier and over a much longer period of time, they wait till it's really high and do these massive dumps, killing off tons of wildlife.

Big Sugar is really the cause of all of the fertilizers in the lake. I go through the lake usually once a year. 8-10 years ago the water was a beautiful blue green and clear in the lake itself, now it is a nasty dark artificial brown color with neon green speckles in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It present serious health concerns. Many red tides produce toxic chemicals that can affect both marine organisms and humans. The Florida red tide organism, K. brevis, produces brevetoxins that can affect the central nervous system of fish and other vertebrates, causing these animals to die. Wave action can break open K. brevis cells and release these toxins into the air, leading to respiratory irritation. For people with severe or chronic respiratory conditions, such as emphysema or asthma & COPD, red tide can cause serious illness. The red tide toxins can also accumulate in molluscan filter-feeders such as oysters and clams, which can lead to neurotoxic shellfish poisoning in people who consume contaminated shellfish.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Big Sugar is really the cause of all of the fertilizers in the lake. I go through the lake usually once a year. 8-10 years ago the water was a beautiful blue green and clear in the lake itself, now it is a nasty dark artificial brown color with neon green speckles in it.

Since when does water flow uphill? All the cane fields are south of Okeechobee.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in the Keys just 3.5 weeks ago and everything was fine there. The water was beautiful and clear.

quote:
So what ended the one in 06 that lasted a year and a half? I just spoke with the resort and they told me people were swimming a week and a half ago without a problem. They told me things could be fine in a few weeks when I'm down there. They are obviously trying to downplay things.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Since when does water flow uphill? All the cane fields are south of Okeechobee.

Some of the cane fields are south of the lake but Moore Haven, Clewiston (America's sweetest city), South Bay are on the west wall and there are thousands of acres of cane along with the canals that they backpump the nutrient rich water.

Another big problem is the way the corp of engineers straightened out the Kississeme River. Used to be gentle curves that gave the Orlando filth time to be filtered before it got to big O. Now it's like a big septic pipe and O is the holding tank. I started guiding on Okeechobee in 1986 and it was like a big aquarium. I sold out in 2016 and the lake was a muddy mess.

Price supports propping up sugar price is the culprit. If world market price for sugar was in effect it wouldn't be profitable to raise.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
It’s almost like a hurricane would be a good thing now to dilute and dissipate all the garbage

Only if it were not to put any water into Okeechobee or any of the areas that drain into it. Given many of those storms are 500-800 miles across, things would have to happen nearly perfectly to fix things.

There was talk of lowering the level of the lake to 9 feet or so, so the rainy season would not overflow the dikes. The Army Corps feels this would negatively impact wetlands and fishing for bass or some other fish.

The problem as I see relates to the issues raised above, namely the runoff from agriculture and ranching, as well as the management of the water level in the lake. The recommended amount of nitrogen fertilizer for sugarcane has increased from about 60-100 lbs per acre in 1960 to about 180 lbs per acre today. This includes the recommendation to add additional applications of fertilizer during excess rains.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss508

We have a problem in Utah with blue green algae blooms in Utah lake. Utah lake is a major source of secondary water for Utah and Salt Lake Counties.
It appears this may be due to excess fertilizer runoff. Water is drawn via canals from Utah lake and the Jordan River to feed secondary water systems used for watering lawns and farms. This is a problem, because it can aerosolize the toxins.

Last week Florida's senators proposed a bipartisan funding amendment for the CDC to study this problem. Obviously research needs to be done, because somebody needs to figure out what can be done to fix this.

https://www.news-press.com/sto...research/1058476002/

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

They're idiots, instead of slowly dumping the water earlier and over a much longer period of time, they wait till it's really high and do these massive dumps, killing off tons of wildlife.

Yep. I read some local officials asked the USACE to bring the level down to 8 feet and they said no because a drought could impact reservations and sugar farms. They have a book and they don't care what else happens.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep. I read some local officials asked the USACE to bring the level down to 8 feet and they said no because a drought could impact reservations and sugar farms. They have a book and they don't care what else happens.

When asked, they admitted the lower lake level would still support the needs of the farms that draw on it, even in a drought. A lower lake level would have the added benefit of not requiring billions and billions to be spent to raise the level of the dikes. The lower level would, in theory, raise the safety margin of the current dikes and have the added benefit of not harming the ecosystem of a large area of the west coast.

All around, there appear to be more options with a lower lake level. The Army Corps said something about being concerned a lower level would kill off marshes and fish that thrive in the lake with the higher level. That is a strange argument given the numbers of endangered animals killed off in the past few months. Not to mention what this is going to do to tourism and real estate prices on the west coast of Florida if this problem continues indefinitely with no solution in sight.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
East Coast has multiple drain canals that open and dump freshwater. I’m 1.5 miles from one lock and it pretty much kills our river and canals. Keeping kids off the paddle board this summer, bacteria algae, etc off the chart. Boca inlet / lake Boca flushes on incoming tide when no freshwater release.

Keys are ok but green viz, you can always tell when freshwater release is on. Palm Beach north / Martin county has had beaches closed off and on, and the algae is still bad.

I have full faith government can and will make this worse.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Lake at anything under 12 makes it non navigable. Moore Haven would be land locked. You can't let your boat off plane at 12 ft because there isn't enough water to get back up. Lots of big boat cross the lake to get to Stuart or Miami. Drastically lower lake isn't the answer as it needs to be from 13 to 15 or the keys will have no drinking water.

A plan that has merit is to dig a multi thousand acre retention pond. Excess water goes there.

Much info here:

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/LOWRP/

https://www.sfwmd.gov/our-work...oject-planning/lowrp

https://www.sfwmd.gov/

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post