SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sanibel Island red tide
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanibel Island red tide Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The author of the article confirmed a measurement of 140 million cells/L off of Sanibel at the boat ramp near the causeway. Not sure of the date the measurement was taken.

Posts: 5380 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Now it is 140 million? I still don't buy it.

Posts: 6318 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Most places have measured it at 2.5 million around Saninbel, but now they are saying 100? I don't know if I buy that one. That sounds a bit like wildlife people trying to get attention.

Just go visit, take your own readings and tell us what's really happening there....

For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

Posts: 697 | Location: Surrounded by Mountains | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:

Just go visit, take your own readings and tell us what's really happening there....

Why don't you read all the other stories about it online, and maybe you can answer why one conservation foundation suddenly has readings 98 million cells higher than everyone else, that suddenly jumps up another 40 million on the phone. Could it be true? Maybe, but it is curious.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It could change quickly, but it seems to be easing up a bit.

Yesterday
quote:

LOWER VOLUME WASHING ASHORE ON GULF SIDE & INTO EAST SIDE CANALS: Total volume collected from beaches only (NOT including canals) through August 8th is 535,000 pounds (267 tons)

IN A NUTSHELL- The City continues the collection and removal that began on Saturday, July 28th. As of close of business August 8th the City of Sanibel has collected & removed 535,095 pounds (267 tons) of dead sea life from our beaches. This amount does include the carcass of the 21 foot whale shark that came ashore on July 22nd as well as the 72 Goliath Groupers & the 14 Tarpons washed ashore as of yesterday. The amount does not include the amount from the canals. Beginning Today's report indicates as the past four days, today the dead sea life deposits are lighter on the Gulf-side. Beginning yesterday we did also see less dead fish in the east end canals of the Island. Prior to yesterday we have been averaging 250 to 300 bags of dead fish from the east end canals yesterday our total was 80 bags.

Based on tides, winds and currents, these conditions may alter quickly and significantly.

Lighthouse Beach
Current Conditions: Good (Fishing Pier Area) Fair (Gulf-side)
Red Tide: Present
Odor: Strong (Fishing Pier Area) Slight (Gulf-side)
Deposits: Approximately 10 to 15 dead sea life every 10 feet; (Fishing Pier area) no dead fish present to surf, (Gulf-side) dead fish present in water

Sanibel Boat Ramp
Current Conditions: Fair
Odor: None Present
Deposits: 13 dead fish every 10 feet; dead fish also floating in water near shore

Algiers Beach (Gulf-side City Park)
Current Conditions: Good
Odor: Present
Deposits: Approximately 3 dead sea life every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Tarpon Bay Beach
Current Conditions: Good to Excellent
Red Tide: Low
Odor: Not Present
Deposits: None present; none present floating in water

Bowman's Beach
Current Conditions: Fair
Red Tide: Not Present
Odor: Not Present
Deposits: Approximately 4 to 5 dead fish every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Blind Pass
Current Conditions: Good
Red Tide: Slight to Moderate presence
Odor: Slight
Deposits: Approximately 4 to 5 dead sea life every 10 feet; none present floating in water

Turner Beach Park
Current Conditions: Good to Excellent
Red Tide: Not present
Odor: None
Deposits: Zero deposits of dead fish present; none present floating in water

Today
quote:
IN A NUTSHELLToday, Friday, August 10, 2018 brings major changes to our beaches. As of this morning all Sanibel beaches from Lighthouse to Turner are in "Very Good" to "Excellent" condition. As of noon a total of 30 bags of dead sea life, mostly fish, has been collected mostly from Bowman's to Turners. A photo is worth a thousand words & here our photos from our beaches. Additionally, thus far today our west end canals & bayous are also looking much improved as well as the east end canals. The only area with Red Tide respiratory irritation this morning has been a "moderate" amount on the far north-west end of the Island.

http://www.mysanibel.com/Depar...ry-Good-to-Excellent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I had a manatee swim by my dock yesterday. You have to be lucky to see them. So all hope isn’t lost yet.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 369 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
I had a manatee swim by my dock yesterday. You have to be lucky to see them. So all hope isn’t lost yet.

Good. Thank you for the first hand information. I am hoping a series of good events clears out the salt water and fresh water blooms.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The Google Earth map from http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS shows the area surrounding Cape Coral to be at background/<10K cell count.

http://myfwc.com/media/4478433/ge-08-10-18.kmz