SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash cam question (window tint)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash cam question (window tint) Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Well I finally had my Thinkware F800 front and rear cameras installed today. Lots of settings to prepare for use. I have one question so far.. my rear window is tinted so the image is obviously dark. Has anyone cut a *tiny* hole in the tint for the lens to see through? Probably talking about the size of a dime. I’m hesitant to mess up my tint..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I might be hesitant to do that to the tint.
Can you relocate the cam say in the trunk or similar?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How about swapping the current rear facing camera for one mounted in a licence tag frame. Those seem quite popular.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Relocating the rear camera isn’t really an option unfortunately. The cameras are a matched pair, they are wired together. I literally just picked up the car a couple of hours ago so I haven’t had a chance to mess with it much. I’m hoping in daylight it won’t be an issue, we’ll see. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Does turning on the night setting help?

I'm about to figure out the same today, I have another camera coming and will be moving my old dash cam to the rear. I guess I'll be happy if it records headlights through the tint during night time.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8012 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would cut out the small spot for your camera lense.

Posts: 3717 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Well, my cheap $20 camera didn't do too well with the tint. I have 35% ceramic tint.

During daylight, it's fine.

I turned the lights off and closed the garage door and it's dark. Turned the night vision on the camera and can barely see.

Will have to drive around at night and record some footage to see how it handles.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8012 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe the tint guy could cut a nice hole for you.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Maybe the tint guy could cut a nice hole for you.

Good thought, Thanks

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The F800 is supposed to have a better auto dynamic range than the previous models. I’d be tempted to give Thinkware a call before putting holes in my window tint, assuming your tint isn’t super dark.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If a camera can't see through the tint, how do you see through it?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If a camera can't see through the tint, how do you see through it?

Better aperture and video processing cells. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post