posted Hide Post
Thanks. Smile

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Thanks. Smile

No problem. Thanks to sidss1 for posting the link. I'm looking forward to making it.

But if I may add a couple more cooking notes below the article from people who tried it that I thought might be important.
quote:
Be warned that this recipe is NOT as it appears in the book. They've tried to make it simpler, but you can't put this much tahini in a blender! The tahini and lemon juice should be combined *in a bowl*, after the lemon juice has been steeped with the garlic. Use a whisk to combine, adding cold water as needed to thin it out. The texture should be like waffle batter. Then make the hummus in a food processor, not the blender! Use the chickpea cooking water to thin the hummus if you like.

quote:
No one has commented on this, but while using baking soda does soften the chickpeas, it also accelerates leaching of many of the vitamins and minerals thus making this dish nutritionally empty. Overnight soaking and sufficient cooking make the chickpeas perfectly soft for making a creamy hummus. Also agree, after making hummus at least once a week for as many years as I can remember I would never use 1 cup tahini for this quantity of chickpeas. 1/4-1/2 c max.

quote:
It is one cup dried chickpeas. That means three cups cooked chickpeas.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I made a big batch tonight for a party tomorrow. I did cook the beans a bit longer than usual and they almost started falling apart. Came up thecramiest yet, and I really didn't use much more than a tablespoon or so of oil Just wasn't needed. I may have over done it on garlic though. Main added seasoning was powdered sumac

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I made a big batch tonight for a party tomorrow. I did cook the beans a bit longer than usual and they almost started falling apart. Came up thecramiest yet, and I really didn't use much more than a tablespoon or so of oil Just wasn't needed. I may have over done it on garlic though. Main added seasoning was powdered sumac
I was not aware that there is any possibility of overdoing garlic. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I should figure out how to make it myself, seems easy enough. I'm neutral to slightly positive on hummus. The main reason being it makes it more enjoyable to eat healthy veggies.

The ingredients seem cheap, but soon becomes $3.99 for a modest bowl.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Y'all talked me into it. I stopped by Aldi today, picked up a couple of their little tubs of hummus and a package of naan.

Good noshing!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be warned that this recipe is NOT as it appears in the book. They've tried to make it simpler, but you can't put this much tahini in a blender! The tahini and lemon juice should be combined *in a bowl*, after the lemon juice has been steeped with the garlic. Use a whisk to combine, adding cold water as needed to thin it out. The texture should be like waffle batter. Then make the hummus in a food processor, not the blender! Use the chickpea cooking water to thin the hummus if you like.

I made hummus a couple of days ago. I used the recipe in the Zahav cookbook, which is very similar.

I did the lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and water in the blender and it worked just fine, but I have a Vitamix. It does seem like something a "normal" blender would have a hard time with.

The recipe does make really good hummus.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Y'all talked me into it. I stopped by Aldi today, picked up a couple of their little tubs of hummus and a package of naan.

Good noshing!

V-Tail, here's the label info for Haig's hummus that I mentioned in the first post of this thread. How does the Aldi compare?

Ingredients: garbanzo beans; tahini; lemon juice; water; garlic; spices; salt.

Note that there's no added fat. That likely means that Haig's has lots of tahini.

Nutrition for a two-tablespoon serving:
Calories - 80
Calories from fat - 50
Total fat - 6g
Saturated fat - 1g
Trans fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 80mg
Total carbohydrate - 4g
Dietary fiber - 2g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 4g
Vitamin A - 0%
Vitamin C - 0%
Calcium - 2%
Iron - 4%

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sunday after Church, I made some hummus, following this recipe. I had soaked the chickpeas overnight. After washing the chickpeas, I cooked them in my pressure cooker. When they had cooled down, I first took the minced garlic and the tahini sauce and put them in the Cusinart food processor, and pulsed them for a while, until they mixed very well. Then I put the chickpeas, and added some olive oil and lemon juice, and get the food processor going. After about 4 minutes, it seemed to be the right consistency, so, I got the hummous into a big bowl and tasted it. A little bit more of tahini and a bit more lemon juice, and the hummous was ready.
I think, it would work better if I had a better blender. Maybe, I ought to invest in a Vitamix or a Blendtec blender.
Next, I have to make Baba Ghanough (sp) with eggplant.Smile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Good noshing!

V-Tail, here's the label info for Haig's hummus that I mentioned in the first post of this thread. How does the Aldi compare?

Ingredients: garbanzo beans; tahini; lemon juice; water; garlic; spices; salt.

Note that there's no added fat. That likely means that Haig's has lots of tahini.

Nutrition for a two-tablespoon serving:
Calories - 80
Calories from fat - 50
Total fat - 6g
Saturated fat - 1g
Trans fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 80mg
Total carbohydrate - 4g
Dietary fiber - 2g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 4g
Vitamin A - 0%
Vitamin C - 0%
Calcium - 2%
Iron - 4%
I bought two of the 10 oz. plastic tubs from Aldi, one "Significantly Spicy" flavor, and one garlic. Interestingly, the nutritional info is not the same.

Here ya go:

Garlic

Calories - 50
Fat Calories - 35
Total Fat - 3.5g
Saturated Fat - 0.5g
Trans Fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0
Sodium - 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate - 4g
Dietary Fiber < 1g
Sugar - 1g
Protein - 1g
Vitamin A - 0
Vitamin C - 0
Calcium - 0
Iron - 2%
Significantly Spicy

Calories - 60
Fat Calories - 40
Total Fat - 4.5g
Saturated Fat - 0.5g
Trans Fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0
Sodium - 120 mg
Total Carbohydrate - 4g
Dietary Fiber < 1g
Sugar - 1g
Protein - 1g
Vitamin A - 2%
Vitamin C - 2%
Calcium - 0
Iron - 2%
Actually, I mixed the two, and then added some more minced garlic. Of course the naan bread added to the picture.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks V-Tail! Nutrition-wise I like the Haig's better than the Aldi. In particular:
Protein: 4g vs. <1g.
Dietary fiber: 2g vs. <1g.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is "Haig" the name of a store or retail chain? Or is it a brand name for food products? I never heard of it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
"Haig's" is the brand name of the hummus. It's made in the Bay Area – don't know how widely distributed it is. I buy it at my grocery store here in San Diego.

Serious about crackers

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree, there is no such thing as too much garlic.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, it would work better if I had a better blender.

I've actually always had better results with the Cuisinart. Just don't skimp on the processing time.
As far as too much garlic, well, you always get some of those whimps at a party who can't handle it.

Oh, and the best compliment... at this past weekend's party, we had my hummus and someone had brought some store bought stuff. Mine was devoured; the store bought wasn't touched.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
For me, ANY garlic is overdoing it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Brits spell it funny:

“You’ll find it lurking on every buffet table and picnic blanket this summer, whether it’s with crunchy salad sticks, served warm with roasted meat or scooped onto chips.

It’s a children’s favourite, but turns up in sophisticated new flavours on supermarket shelves and on fancy restaurant menus, too. Houmous, the simple chickpea dip, has invaded almost every British meal (although we don’t yet eat bowls of it for breakfast, as many do in the Middle East)…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/foo...e-dippy-houmous.html

Serious about crackers