Tools

Hummus Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I make my own, and I put in tons of fresh garlic and lot of high-quality tahini sauce. It is really simple to make. Also, I make babaghanouj with roasted eggplants and fresh green chilis. I tried making some with Ghost Peppers, but it was too hot for all my friends, and I could eat it is small amounts!!!!SmileSmileSmile

Sounds delicious.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will have to find the recipe I use to make hummus at home, and then post it here. Give me a few minutes, I have it on my Facebook page.

Here it is : https://cooking.nytimes.com/re...zahavs-hummus-tehina

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I really don't use a recipe as I have been making it so long.
The one trick I do use is to put my tahini and garlic in the processor first and get it nice and creamy before starting to add my beans and other ingredients.

as a final step, add a little bit of water at a time while processing to get to the perfect texture and thickness.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Never liked it. But this summer in Rhodes, Greece we had a fantastic lunch and it was served with their fresh made pita bread. I could've made a meal off of it alone.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
If you're anywhere near Austin, try Grandma's Humus.

http://www.themedchef.com/products/#humus

You're welcome.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm a very picky eater and it's just not appealing to me. I've had all the brands around here and a bunch of homemade, and it's like...no thanks, I'll stick with Jif.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010Challenger- you dont know what you are missing. Broaden your horizons, man.SmileSmile

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
...no thanks, I'll stick with Jif.

Jif is good. On toasted pumpernickel with apple slices on the side ... but Trader Joe's Mediterranean Hummus at $4 for a one pound container is pretty tasty.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
And Haig's has no added oil – also uncommon
How? I've made hummus and while the food processor is grinding the chick peas you're pouring olive oil through the pour through lid opening.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will have to find the recipe I use to make hummus at home, and then post it here. Give me a few minutes, I have it on my Facebook page.

Michael Solomonov, the chef whose recipe is given in the article, made a really interesting documentary recently called "In Search of Israeli Cuisine."

He also has a new cookbook out called "Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking." I ordered it on Amazon and just got it yesterday. It looks like a great cookbook.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a middle eastern place in Taylor, Michigan called Malek Al Kabob that makes fresh flatbread and fresh hummus. Probably the best I've had.
I can't buy the store bought kind after having that.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
And Haig's has no added oil – also uncommon
How? I've made hummus and while the food processor is grinding the chick peas you're pouring olive oil through the pour through lid opening.

The link below has the same hummus recipe (I think) as the recipe linked by sidss1. But I couldn't use his link because it requires a NYT account, which I don't want.

But this recipe has no added oil, although he says to drizzle some EVOO over the hummus AFTER it's made.

https://food52.com/recipes/426...ahav-s-hummus-tehina

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

But this recipe has no added oil, although he says to drizzle some EVOO over the hummus after it's made.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Zahav and plan to go there for an anniversary dinner this fall.

The fat in this version comes from the rather large amount of tahini paste.

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The amount of tahini in Haig's isn't specified. But it's the second-listed ingredient (after garbanzo beans), so possibly it's "a rather large amount" too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

But this recipe has no added oil, although he says to drizzle some EVOO over the hummus after it's made.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews of Zahav and plan to go there for an anniversary dinner this fall.

The fat in this version comes from the rather large amount of tahini paste.

I'd love to hear a report. Solomonov's documentary and cookbook are really cool but the drive from here to his restaurant is a little long for a date night dinner. Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the no oil thing.

All I've ever heard is that Hummus *is*, simply, chickpeas + tahini + oil that's mixed up, with varying degrees of spices / garlic.

I'll have to try that recipe. If I've ever had hummus without oil I wasn't aware.

Interesting.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have it on my Facebook page.

That link gives me a pop up that I can't defeat. Do I have to use Facefrick to get around that?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Apprentice, I get the recipe straight away, I dont get a pop-up window or anything else. I will try to get the recipe cut and pasted here in a few minutes.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
I have it on my Facebook page.

That link gives me a pop up that I can't defeat. Do I have to use Facefrick to get around that?

There is another way. Here's some pasting for you.
quote:
This recipe comes from Zahav, the chef Michael Solomonov’s Israeli restaurant in Philadelphia, which is known for its silky and wonderfully rich hummus. Garlic and lemon play small roles here; the indisputable co-stars are the freshly cooked chickpeas and the nutty tahini. While it’s well worth the effort to cook the dried chickpeas yourself, substituting a couple of cans of cooked chickpeas is perfectly acceptable.

quote:

1 cup dried chickpeas
2 teaspoons baking soda
Juice of 1 1/2 large lemons (about 1/3 cup), more to taste
2 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
1 cup sesame tahini
½ teaspoon ground cumin, more to taste
Paprika, for serving
Olive oil, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley, for serving

quote:

In a bowl, cover chickpeas by at least 2 inches of cold water. Add 1 teaspoon baking soda and let soak at room temperature overnight. Drain and rinse.
In a medium pot, cover soaked chickpeas by at least 4 inches of water. Add the remaining teaspoon baking soda and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and let cook at a vigorous simmer until chickpeas are quite soft, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Overcooked chickpeas are the secret to creamy hummus, so don’t worry if they start to break down a little.) Drain.
While chickpeas are cooking, make the tahini sauce. In a blender, combine the lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let mixture sit 10 minutes. Add tahini, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the cumin, and blend until a thick paste forms. Add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water while blender is running, a little at a time, until sauce is smooth. You’re looking for a perfectly smooth, creamy sauce.
Add the warm, drained chickpeas to blender with tahini mixture. Blend until perfectly smooth and not at all grainy, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl occasionally. This blending may take upward of about 2 minutes; just keep going until the mixture is ultracreamy and fluffy, adding a little water if you need it to make the contents of the blender move. Taste for seasonings, adding more salt, lemon juice and/or cumin as needed.
To serve, spread the hummus on a plate, dust with paprika, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^And to answer a popular question about one of the ingredients:
quote:
Baking soda helps soften legumes (like chickpeas and beans) more quickly because it creates an alkali environment that weakens the beans’ pectic bonds. The result is super creamy hummus instead of dry & chunky hummus.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post