New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hummus Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I used to be ambivalent about hummus – didn't dislike it, but didn't find it particularly appealing, either. But some time ago, I found that some brands are a good deal better than most common grocery store offerings.

The best that I've found is Haig's. Besides excellent flavor, it's nutritionally superior too. Two tablespoons is the standard "serving" for hummus nutrition data. Haig's has 4g protein per serving, whereas most other brands have only 2g. And Haig's has no added oil – also uncommon. It's made in the Bay Area. I don't know how widely it's distributed, but I can get it here in San Diego.

For those that don't know, hummus is a "complete" protein. It has tahini (sesame butter) that provides the essential amino acid that garbanzo beans lack.

Haig's is wonderful when spread on Westphalian pumpernickel!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to scoop it with baby carrots

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I regularly finish a pound in under three days. It's not unusual for me to eat a whole pepper, sliced, with a third pound of hummus.

And if I'm using chips, half a pound easy.

My doc said, at my last exam with blood work, "whatever you're eating, keep eating it".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I make my own and always get requests to bring it to gatherings. It's so easy to make, and so cheap when using dried beans like I do, that i can't even conceive of purchasing it at the store.

I like making a big batch and then dividing it, so each part can be flavored differently; roasted pepper, curry, what have you.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I wish they would call it something different. We use humus in the gardens. I can't get past the similarity in names Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Make your own. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Make your own. Wink

Humus or Hummus? Or both?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Make your own. Wink

Humus or Hummus? Or both?

Why both of course. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love it.

And generally make my own.

But I wholeheartedly agree, some store bought brands are meh and some are outstanding, and it makes a huge difference, like anything else - average BBQ vs amazing, whiskey, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Pipesmoker, what's your source in SD?

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aldi has great hummus, we eat it mostly with baby carrots and cuke strips.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like it garlicky. With a little more tahini than most.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Pipesmoker, what's your source in SD?

I get Haig's from Bristol Farms, in the Costa Verde shopping center located at Genesee Ave. & Nobel Dr. In the deli section. Hummus of the meh variety is sold in another part of the store.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Never cared for the stuff. But, when I went to Israel, "humoos" and bread was everywhere and some/most of it was really good. Haven't found any here that tastes even remotely as good.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
They put huge tins of fresh hummus in our catering when we leave Dubai. They also include a little jug of olive oil and some fresh flatbread. I have never had better hummus. I ignore whatever else is in the catering and just gorge on hummus.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I typically eat mine with Naan from Trader Joe's. So good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make my own, and I put in tons of fresh garlic and lot of high-quality tahini sauce. It is really simple to make. Also, I make babaghanouj with roasted eggplants and fresh green chilis. I tried making some with Ghost Peppers, but it was too hot for all my friends, and I could eat it is small amounts!!!!SmileSmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Okay, so who's got the recipes??? Please?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
...making some with Ghost Peppers...

Oh yes, the ghosty hummus. Excellent.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Makes me want to scrape my tongue.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post