SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Francisco tenants win $3.5 million in wrongful eviction case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Francisco tenants win $3.5 million in wrongful eviction case Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A landlord sued by a San Francisco couple for wrongful eviction will have to pay them $3.5 million after a jury ruled in their favor in a wrongful eviction lawsuit.

Attorney Steven McDonald, who represented husband and wife plaintiffs Dale Duncan and Marta Mendoza, said Friday a jury last week awarded the couple $1.17 million in damages after a five-week trial. A judge tripled that amount.

The couple sued landlord Anne Kihagi, her sister, Christina Mwangi, and their company Zoriall LLC, after they and their then 6-year-old daughter were evicted in 2015 from their San Francisco home of 21 years.

The couple says that shortly after the women bought the property in 2014, a "pattern of harassment" started.

The couple says Kihagi evicted them after claiming that her sister would be occupying the rent-controlled unit.

McDonalds says the jury determined that Mwangi never moved in and never intended to move in.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch. I have casually followed this case as I do lots of my lending in SF. Rent control and Ellis act And proctected tenants are no joke in this town. Renters are like 70% of the populations sn the tenants union has much political power. If your a landlord you better not screw around with your tenants

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I see tenants getting to tell landlords what to do with their property pretty much the same as I see unions telling business owners how to run their own business.

It's wrong, and shouldn't happen.

These tenants were there at the owner's pleasure. Owner wants them gone? Adios. You don't own the property? You don't have a say.

Of course, my views are quite antiquated.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I see tenants getting to tell landlords what to do with their property pretty much the same as I see unions telling business owners how to run their own business.

These tenants were there at the owner's pleasure. Owner wants them gone? Adios. You don't own the property? You don't have a say.

Not in San Francisco. And when you buy a property in sf that has tenants in place you better learn the tenant laws and follow them To. A. T

An owner move in eviction IS legal. But you need to actually move in and if the people your are kicking out have small children or are elderly they have certain rights. I would never buy a property in SF that has a tenant in place.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
quote:

Not in San Francisco. And when you buy a property in sf that has tenants in place you better learn the tenant laws and follow them To. A. T

An owner move in eviction IS legal. But you need to actually move in and if the people your are kicking out have small children or are elderly they have certain rights. I would never buy a property in SF that has a tenant in place.

I would never buy OR move to San Fransisco PERIOD.

I have 5 tenants here in Florida, the law is not too bad in regards to landlords rights, but is getting more difficult as they keep adding stuff. But, if someone has a disability it can take over 9 months to evict someone.....the usual is around 3 months.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A landlord sued by a San Francisco couple for wrongful eviction will have to pay them $3.5 million

WTF. They get wrongly evicted so lets make them multi millionaires? Eek Eek Eek Eek

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
A landlord sued by a San Francisco couple for wrongful eviction will have to pay them $3.5 million

WTF. They get wrongly evicted so lets make them multi millionaires? Eek Eek Eek Eek
Nah, they'll get around $950K.

The lawyers get the rest. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d say your views are fine for a slumlord. Otherwise your need to abide by the terms of your contract.

But if your want to take the laissez-faire attitude, then the tenant should be able to burn down the landlord’s property in retaliation for violating their lease agreement.

The case seems pretty straightforward. The property owners evicted the existing tenants under false pretenses so they could get new tenants and charges a higher rent.

SF’s rent control laws probably cap rent increases for existing tenants but allow for larger increases when tenants turn over. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that this was not the first time the landlords pulled this scheme which probably formed the basis of the verdict amount.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
some more detail and history of this landlord

http://www.wehoville.com/2017/...ellis-act-violation/

The City of West Hollywood has prevailed in court against West Hollywood landlord Anne Kihagi, who has been ordered to serve five days in Los Angeles County Jail and to pay the city’s attorney fees and costs.

Kihagi was held in contempt of court on Feb. 21 for violating a preliminary injunction that prohibited her from re-renting certain units at her property, an eight-unit building located at 1263 N. Crescent Heights Blvd.

The Ellis Act is a California State Law enacted in 1985 that allows property owners to evict tenants without cause if they intend to remove properties from the residential rental market. Displaced tenants and local governments may file a legal action against landlords if the property is returned to the rental market without following the Ellis Act’s restrictions.

Posts: 19559 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If the judge tripled the damages, there must have been a fair bit of evidence during the five week long trial that the landlords were intentionally being massive dicks.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
The case seems pretty straightforward. The property owners evicted the existing tenants under false pretenses so they could get new tenants and charges a higher rent.

SF’s rent control laws probably cap rent increases for existing tenants but allow for larger increases when tenants turn over. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that this was not the first time the landlords pulled this scheme which probably formed the basis of the verdict amount.

Correct. I have a friend who owns a couple of apartment buildings and he's been watching this case closely.

The landlord is/was a raging asshole with a history of such. A settlement of this kind doesn't just fall out of the sky, Kihagi has an established history of being a shit of a landlord. Unfortunately, assholes like this end up reinforcing rent control and renters rights policies, and place landlords nearly at the mercy of their tenants whims.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post