SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chemical Weapons In Syria
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chemical Weapons In Syria Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should paint them pink? I saw a cab this morning painted pink. On the door it said "Pink Cabs...Cabs That Care". Surely if a Toyota Prius can care...a Tomahawk can too.

Back to substantive things...

Notice how those hangars have a nice centered hole in them? Somebody took the time to do the job right!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Another person that's offended by everything

Prominent Editor Mocked For Saying ‘Tomahawk Missiles’ Are Offensive to Native Americans

Mother Jones magazine’s Editor in Chief has accused the “tomahawk” missiles that were fired at Syrian airbase last week of cultural appropriation that “must enrage a lot of Native Americans”.

Clara Jefferey a prominent editor at the liberal magazine tweeted over the weekend that the name “tomahawk” given to missiles is cultural appropriation of Native American culture.

“That the missiles are called tomahawks must enrage a lot of Native Americans [sic],” she tweeted.

Her ill-thought-out tweet invited almost universal mockery on Twitter, some pointing out the actual history behind the name. “The war tomahawk was actually a British invention,” tweeted Sean Gallagher.

“Only those looking for a reason to be pissed off. It’s tribute not mockery,” wrote National Review Senior Editor Jonah Goldberg. “Oh my gawd I thought this was a joke… then i saw your Twitter page and realized you are actually serious. Seek help,” said one Twitter user.

Another user noted: “This take brought to you by the people who handed Trump the presidency.”

Other people have pointed that Native American community has far bigger concerns than how the military names their missiles. “I think generally they have actual things to be enraged about…” wrote user called “Wholesome Bare”.

Tim Skellett seconded: “They mostly have far bigger things to worry about. Like heavy-metals contamination in potable water in Navajo Nation.”

Link

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mother Jones magazine’s Editor in Chief has accused the “tomahawk” missiles that were fired at Syrian airbase last week of cultural appropriation that “must enrage a lot of Native Americans”.
No, just pissing, whining leftists like you. I imagine the Indians don't give a shit about this.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
No, just pissing, whining leftists like you. I imagine the Indians don't give a shit about this.

They don't - I just asked, she didn't even know the reference, or the news, or give two shits ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So now CBS has figured out that the Syrians were making and using chlorine-based chemical 'barrel bombs' while Russia, the co-guarantor of O's chemical weapons deal with Assad, had to have known about it and deliberately obstructed further inquiries in the UN.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wh...as-chemical-weapons/

I can hear Dan Rather and the Obamaites now - "but chlorine wasn't on the schedule of substances!!!" No, but it sure was on Assad's TOE. Here's hoping that Trump's seen enough of Putin to not take any more "lick and a promise" diplomacy at face value.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
You knew this would happen at some point. The useless crowd with nothing better to do than be offended for others, that aren't themselves offended, speaks out. I wonder how Elizabeth Warren feels about the subject?

Prominent Editor Mocked For Saying ‘Tomahawk Missiles’ Are Offensive to Native Americans

https://heatst.com/culture-war...to-native-americans/
Thanks for posting this. I was having a stressful day and this offered a much appreciated chuckle. There simply is no limits to the lunacy, is there.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=99817

Ross, Porter Commanding Officers Receive Phone Calls from President Trump

On April 9, the commanding officers of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Ross (DDG 71) and USS Porter (DDG 78) received phone calls from President Donald J. Trump.

The president called to thank the commanding officers, Cmdr. Russell Caldwell and Cmdr. Andria Slough, and their crews for their professionalism and quick response to the tasking to conduct a cruise missile strike against Shayrat airfield in western Syria April 7. This strike was in response to the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime.

Ross, commanded by Cmdr. Russell Caldwell, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, departed on its fifth forward-deployed patrol April 3 and is conducting routine patrols in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe.

Caldwell took command of Ross Nov. 12, 2015, and is scheduled to be relieved by the current executive officer, Cmdr. Brian Gallo, in a ceremony onboard the ship April 11, in port Larnaca, Cyprus.

"The success of this mission hinged upon our Sailors' excellent training, technical knowledge and dedication to their work," Caldwell said. "It was a distinct honor to hear firsthand from our commander in chief that these operations had a direct impact in support of his national objectives."

USS Porter, commanded by Cmdr. Andria Slough, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, departed on its third forward-deployed patrol Nov. 30, and is conducting routine patrols in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe.

"In general, the President was impressed with Porter's precision and lethality. It was obvious he was extremely pleased with our performance and is glad we're out here patrolling in U.S. 6th Fleet," Slough said.

Slough took command of Porter Jan. 28, 2016. In February Porter went to the Black Sea and participated in the Romanian led exercise Sea Shield. In March, Porter participated in the multilateral Allied Maritime Command anti-submarine, anti-surface warfare Exercise Dynamic Manta 2017. Also in March, Porter was awarded the 2016 Atlantic Fleet "Bloodhound" award, signifying the best ship in the fleet at anti-submarine warfare.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
^^^Nice move Mr. Trump. This sort of thing has to be a real morale booster!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/12/...l-weapons/index.html

The US military and intelligence community has intercepted communications featuring Syrian military and chemical experts talking about preparations for the sarin attack in Idlib last week, a senior US official tells CNN

The intercepts were part of an immediate review of all intelligence in the hours after the attack to confirm responsibility for the use of chemical weapons in an attack in northwestern Syria, which killed at least 89 people. US officials have said that there is "no doubt" that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is responsible for the attack.

The US did not know prior to the attack it was going to happen, the official emphasized. The US scoops up such a large volume of communications intercepts in areas like Syria and Iraq, the material often is not processed unless there is a particular event that requires analysts to go back and look for supporting intelligence material.

So far there are no intelligence intercepts that have been found directly confirming that Russian military or intelligence officials communicated about the attack. The official said the likelihood is the Russians are more careful in their communications to avoid being intercepted.

The Russian and Syrian governments have both denied involvement in the chemical attack.

Picture of henry claude lemoine
posted Hide Post

Posts: 144 | Location: virginia | Registered: November 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henry claude lemoine:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EXuV64hp4dk" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

How many threads are you going to post this in?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Once was more than enough and you'll find few around here who will agree with the position taken in that video.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story...l-weapons/100735400/

Syria retains chemical weapons and has dispersed its warplanes in recent days, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said at a news conference Friday.

The aircraft dispersal suggests possible concerns about further U.S. missile strikes after President Trump ordered strikes on a Syrian air base following a chemical weapons attack in a rebel-held town in Idlib province on April 4 that killed 89 people.

Scientists from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons found "incontrovertible" evidence that the victims were exposed to Sarin or a Sarin-like substance after samples from 10 victims were analyzed.

Mattis would not say how much chemical weaponry Syria has. “The amount of it I don’t want to get into it right now,” he said. “We don’t reveal some of that detail because we don’t want to reveal how we’re finding out. But the bottom line is that I can say authoritatively that they have retained some.”

He said having the weapons is a violation of a United Nations Security Council resolution, and Syria would be “well advised” not to use chemical weapons again.

In Jerusalem, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel welcomed the new Trump administration.

"This is a welcome change, a strategic change of American leadership and policy," Netanyahu said in a brief appearance with Mattis.

a welcome change indeed