SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fastest transatlantic transit by a subsonic passenger jet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastest transatlantic transit by a subsonic passenger jet Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“British Airways has recorded its fastest ever transatlantic flight after a plane flew from New York to London in just four hours and 56 minutes.

The Boeing 747 hurtled across the Atlantic at more than 800mph on the back of Storm Ciara's 200mph winds before touching down at Heathrow at 4.48am today.

It is thought to have set a new record for subsonic passenger planes as its time [average velocity] exceeds the current record of a Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner which made the crossing in five hours and 13 minutes…”

https://mol.im/a/7983919

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Wow, I was suppose to fly over to Heathrow from Newark later today but flight was cancelled due to Caira. Flying tomorrow instead, maybe we will get a shot at that record.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I saw on the news yesterday that there is some sort of “super jet stream” over the Atlantic.
I wonder if several of the East bound pilots will try and out do each other....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The plane was a minute faster than a Virgin Atlantic Airbus A350, which landed moments later after also taking off in New York, and three minutes ahead of a Virgin Airways plane that arrived at Heathrow at 5.12am.

I can only imagine the surprise of the customs, security and ramp crews as three wide bodies, all show up way earlier than expected. Big Grin

How the fuck did you guys get here so fast?!

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine flying west bound. The flight under normal conditions west bound is abysmal. Hard on the hemorrhoids. Figure a few extra hours or possibly a fuel stop.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a 179 knots on the nose a few days ago, going west over the north atlantic. We didn't shed it until we went feet dry at Canada.

While the jetstream can give some impressive numbers on the tail, it also brings the potential for some severe clear air turbulence, especially in the boundary layers where the air isn't moving so fast.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
This is why I'll NEVER bid to fly long-haul. N-E-V-E-R...

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last winter (Feb 2019) I had 206 on the nose flying from PWM to MEM, new record for me. Don't have to be doing long haul to get those winds. Last Thurs flew SYR to MEM and back, then jump seated home. Had 170 knots in the face from SYR to MEM, block time was 3:27. Some of that was deicing, maybe 15 mins of delay. Going back up there with the tail wind our block time was 1:57. It was pretty bumpy all day as well, everybody was complaining about the rides but our boxes were strangely quiet. Smile

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Couple years back I flew MSP-LHR riding the jet stream, we arrived 1 hour 45 minutes ahead of schedule.

Then we circled London in the stack for two hours so I got in 15 minutes late.

I was pissed.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Oh, had to reread the title.....SUB-Sonic. Okay.

At first, I thought this was going to be a thread about the Concord. Which did London to New York in like 3.5 hours IIRC.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 747 is OK at 800 MPH? I was not aware it was capable of that speed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Yoop:
Airspeed is different than ground speed. They were likely flying at typical airspeed, but with the tail wind, they were moving faster over the ground.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I saw on the news yesterday that there is some sort of “super jet stream” over the Atlantic.
I wonder if several of the East bound pilots will try and out do each other....

Hold my beer....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

The 747 is OK at 800 MPH? I was not aware it was capable of that speed.
The 800 mph is ground speed, not air speed.

Here's an analogy: You are aboard a train that is traveling at 60 mph. You get out of your seat and head for the dining car. If you walk forward in the train, with a normal walking speed of 3 mph, your speed with respect to the landscape that you are passing, is 63 mph -- the train's 60 mph plus your 3 mph.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be nice for the Queen of the Skies to hang onto this record a while.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
It would be nice for the Queen of the Skies to hang onto this record a while.

I suspect she will, for quite a while.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Jokes on them, the gate was occupied when they landed. Wink

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool. I just got back from Taiwan and noticed a tail wind from 123-135 knots.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
"Ground Speed?" Would that not be "Ocean Speed"?
Since they were not over any ground?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

"Ground Speed?" Would that not be "Ocean Speed"? Since they were not over any ground?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post