SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowa passes new (Anti) Sanctuary City Law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa passes new (Anti) Sanctuary City Law Login/Join 
posted
Sanity in Iowa! New law makes it illegal for Iowa cities to pass their own "sanctuary city" laws. It is unfortunate that we have to pass a new law that says we have to obey existing laws.

Iowa cities and counties that intentionally violate federal immigration law will have their state funding revoked under a bill signed into law by Gov. Kim Reynolds Tuesday.

Senate File 481 targets so-called sanctuary communities across the state and has drawn widespread debate in the Capitol and across the state. It takes effect July 1.

Reynolds, a Republican, did not hold a public bill signing event.

Supporters say the new law will maintain public safety and uphold the rule of law, but critics argue that Iowa has no sanctuary cities and that the bill will only stoke racial fears that could fuel discrimination.

Republican leaders have said the legislation is in response to a policy adopted in Iowa City that says the city will not commit local resources to enforcing federal immigration law, as well as to similar policies in cities across the country.

Officials in Iowa City have stopped short of identifying themselves as a "sanctuary" community, and they argue they comply with all federal laws.

Organizations, individuals and communities from around the state gathered Wednesday, March 21, 2018, at the statehouse to call for state legislators to reject SF481, the anti-immigrant, warrantless detention bill that recently passed a House committee and is now eligible for full House debate. Rodney White/The Register

What's required under the new law:
A "local entity" cannot "adopt or enforce a policy or take any other action" that "prohibits or discourages the enforcement of immigration laws."
Local entities can't prohibit or discourage law enforcement officers or other employees from "assisting or cooperating with a federal immigration officer as reasonable or necessary, including providing enforcement assistance."
Local entities can’t prohibit or discourage law enforcement or other officials from inquiring about the immigration status of a person who is under arrest, sharing that information with other authorities, or assisting federal immigration officers as reasonable or necessary
Local entities and their employees can’t ask about the national origin of a person who is the victim of a crime, witness of a crime or is otherwise reporting a crime unless it’s pertinent to the investigation.
Each state or local law enforcement agency subject to the new requirements must put in writing any unwritten or informal policies relating to the enforcement of immigration laws and update those policies to be in compliance with the new law.
Those people who are enforcing the law "shall not consider race, skin color, language spoken, or national origin" while doing so.
Allows local entities to apply for reinstatement of lost funding after 90 days.

DSM Register article

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are illegals in Iowa?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Lots of cornfields in Iowa

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, at packing houses. I remember back in the late-'90s/early '00s how recruiters for Cargill, IBP, and Monfort advertised on Mexican radio stations in South Texas looking for workers to move to Iowa and Nebraska.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.thegazette.com/subj...o-the-world-20170326

A 2017 newspaper article on follow-up of the Postville IA. Kosher meatpacking raid by ICE about 9 years previously. Caused a quite a bit of controversy among the Iowa liberals when it occurred. About how the children of illegals would be suffering, broken families, killing the town of Postville, etc. Before I left Iowa, the utility pole signs and yard signs about how everyone was your neighbor, and how all were welcomed were appearing everywhere, written in multiple languages. UIowa campus had the signs on every bulletin board, wall, street light pole, etc. Many churches in Iowa sponsor immigrant families, and they do not appear to questioning immigration status. Mennonite Church are big into missionary work around the world.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every roofing crew around here seems to need a Spanish speaking boss. Also lots of restaurants have non English speaking folks bussing and in kitchens. They all seem to be very scarce whenever LEO's are around. Generally seem to be good folks as they are willing to work for a living but many of them should not be here. Iowa City is a cess pool regarding non enforcement of immigration laws but you dang nab better be wearing your seat belt.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A new house going up next door to me. Got a roof last week. About eight Mexicans did the roof. I'm quite certain that if Immigration had pulled up, they would have come off the roof and swam to the other side of the lake. Smile They were hard workers and moved around that steep roof like tree rats. At least they were willing to work and not looking for a hand out.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
quote:

Lots of cornfields in Iowa

...that are harvested by Combine Harvestors and not by hand.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
quote:

http://www.thegazette.com/subj...o-the-world-20170326

A 2017 newspaper article on follow-up of the Postville IA. Kosher meatpacking raid by ICE about 9 years previously. Caused a quite a bit of controversy among the Iowa liberals when it occurred. About how the children of illegals would be suffering, broken families, killing the town of Postville, etc. Before I left Iowa, the utility pole signs and yard signs about how everyone was your neighbor, and how all were welcomed were appearing everywhere, written in multiple languages. UIowa campus had the signs on every bulletin board, wall, street light pole, etc. Many churches in Iowa sponsor immigrant families, and they do not appear to questioning immigration status. Mennonite Church are big into missionary work around the world.

President Trump recently pardoned Sholom Rubashkin, the CEO of this company. He was serving a 29 yr sentence for Bank Fraud. It was his financial crimes, not the immigration violations that were his biggest downfall and caused the plant to file bankruptcy.

I wish Trump had not pardoned him. The Rubashkin family is from NY - smells too much like somebody knew somebody.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Our scumbag governor just vetoed a bill that would outlaw sanctuary cities in the state, citing that it would "hinder police".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
All the new bills and laws mean nothing if the problem isnt addressed. Cripes, I hauled chicken out of the poultry plants in Georgia 10 years back and the whole plants were mexicans. All these so called illegals are ingrained now. Many from South America too. I dont see any laws that will get them gone. Besides, DC dont know nothing about America or its people. They just know they dont want to work for their millions.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ask Senor Bendable. He will be back soon he is stocking up on extra saran wrap.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Yes, at packing houses. I remember back in the late-'90s/early '00s how recruiters for Cargill, IBP, and Monfort advertised on Mexican radio stations in South Texas looking for workers to move to Iowa and Nebraska.

Meat packing plants, corn and soybean processing plants, and more are frequently 95% Mexican. A local volunteer group was recently asked to print materials in Spanish because "96% of the employees can't read English". A few cities in Iowa are known to be 'sanctuary' cities already, though it may not be an official stance.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post