SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling Mr Truong.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Mr Truong..... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Good Morning, Sir. You may or may not be able to help, but although the latter might be the case, I'd like the rest of the good folks here to see what goes on in the world of reasonably-priced watchery - that is, between $500 and $1500 - here in UK.

I've just got my Ebel Sports Wave back from a quote, after sending it to the UK's Swiss watch fixers - no names, just in case it comes back to bite me in the butt - unfixed. These good folks are authorised to repair and service all the quality brands up to and including Audemars Piaget et al.

The only thing wrong with my Ebel was the winder stem, that seems to have lost the thread that enables it to lock into the case and maintain the necessary seal. A simple replacement part, I would have imagined.

Nope.

The fixers wanted £600 to replace it, that's $852 today, or, in Dog Money, $5964.

My local friendly watch-fixer, who has a collection of around fifty Rolexi, says that if you can get the part, he can fix it.

It is not a desperate case - I'm like a lot of others who wear big hunky chunky diver's watches - just a desk-diver.

If you can help, I'd be very grateful, and if not, then there's no harm done. I'll email you with serial numbers etc if needed.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Is it a quartz or an automatic?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
The cost my be high because the tube is not a replacement part.
On some watches the tube the stem runs through to seal the movement from the outside is machined as part of the case.
The whole case may have to be replaced. They may strip the case of usable parts "crystal,case back,spring bars" They will use new gaskets in most cases.
I know on some watches the tube only is a replacement part and on some it is not. I was told Breitlings do not have a removable tube but Omegas and other watches do.
I would ask the watch repair people if this is the case type(non removable tube) with your watch.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The crown, stem tube and seal set is around $180USD for 18kt gold.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
@Mr Mars_Attacks - My Ebel Sport Wave is a stainless steel version, automatic.

Can you PM me with details of a stainless set?

Best

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Tac, I am pretty sure David takes Mondays off. You might want to email him.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

My post here is because I don't know his email address.

tac

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

tac
It's Mimi's Jewelry in Fountain Valley, CA

EDIT: His Sigforum profile

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:

tac
It's Mimi's Jewelry in Fountain Valley, CA

EDIT: His Sigforum profile

Much obliged to you, Sir.

tac

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. I got in contact with Tac.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Mr Truong has emole me. Thanks to Mr Truong and to the rest of you for your assistment.

tac

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best

tac

I found them on ebay.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

Best

tac

I found them on ebay.

Interesting - I might even give that a try in the event that Mr Truong's search proves in vain.

tac