Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mag Lights Login/Join 
posted
While cleaning the garage today I found several mag lights. I remember that someone said they could be converted to LED. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
The Malkoff version is very nice but probably costs more than the lights originally did.

Battery Junction sells a TerraLUX which replaces the incandescent bulb at a lower price point.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
Home Depot occasionally has d-cell led mag lights on sale for $20.... I pick up a couple.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Consider this: a brand new 3D LED MAGLITE for $27, free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/MagLite...-FLUKE/dp/B016V92RSQ

It has a FLUKE logo, so was made as a promotional item. I bought a similar 2D LED MAGLITE for $22 shipped, but those seem to be gone now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I picked up a LED "conversion" bulb for mine at Lowes. They hang on the rack next to the check out. 12-14 bucks, and was a nice upgrade.
The light in question had a little bit of sentimental value, and I wanted to keep and use it, otherwise I probably would not have done.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got several LED conversion bulbe for 3 cell maglights at Walmart.
Makes a difference.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And you still have a giant, unwieldy flashlight.

Most of the conversions are less bright than MUCH smaller modern LEDs using rechargeable batteries. But the new ones are more expensive and require battery charging equipment. 150 lumens is brighter than any incandescent Maglite, but is well short of a really bright modern light.

But maybe you still need a club.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes unless it has some sentimental value, or you use it as a club, it's not worth converting them based on my own experience. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop I got a Malkoff for my Streamlight...it was like 1000 lumens and would throw the light for several hundred yards...way better than the original halogen lamp...the key is the focused polished reflector ..

I swear I melted several people!!

If what you are looking for is something like looking into the sun...this is the way to go.

(I used the light to blind people at night or in the daytime- it was a tool....)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Lowes had the 2 D LED Mag lights before Christmas last year for 14.00 I bought a bunch of them as it was cheaper than the upgrade. I think they are very bright.. and with the D batteries they last forever. But it should be cheaper than 14 for just the bulb?

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
For my Maglite Mini, I just bought a new one on Amazon which currently costs $19.16: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5CRLA/ since a conversion costs around the same.

For my 3 D cell light/club, I bought this TerraLUX LED Conversion Kit on Amazon which currently costs $16.98.

Both are eligible for Amazon Prime shipping, with prices discounted 5% if you use your Amazon Prime store card.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Most of the conversions are less bright than MUCH smaller modern LEDs using rechargeable batteries. But the new ones are more expensive and require battery charging equipment. 150 lumens is brighter than any incandescent Maglite, but is well short of a really bright modern light.

I have two 6 D-cell clubs that are also flashlights.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've got several flashlights, but my 3 D cell always rides in the door pocket of my truck. Never know when you may need to bust a head or something like that, or even use it as a flashlight.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I've got several flashlights, but my 3 D cell always rides in the door pocket of my truck. Never know when you may need to bust a head or something like that, or even use it as a flashlight.

Or keep it in your softball bag as an extra bat.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

You just have to wield them as intended. Grasp around bulb base with "club" above forearm. If deemed lawfully necessary "wham" and convert light to club. I've never had to crack a skull or break a vehicle's window with a Maglite, but I am prepared.

ETA: I was making tea when the posts above show that I am not the only one who is prepared.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Malkoff makes a conversion. https://malkoff-devices.myshop...op-in-to-fit-maglite

I can endorse the Malkoff conversions. And just to be clear, the Malkoff piece turns your Maglite into an entirely different beast. It is in no way comparable to the inexpensive led lights available now from Maglite.

While larger, it makes a great light to keep in a vehicle, with outstanding brightness and beam strength. It is absolutely worth the money.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
So:

Malkoff 325 lumens, $40 + new reflector or modification to existing one.

TerraLux: 140 lumens, $17

LudoPam bulb: 200 lumens, $11 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/LudoPam...lights/dp/B0739MYXNL

I am tempted to buy that LudoPam bulb that I just found. (I am flashlight geek. I own a lot of them, but firearm count is a bit higher. Smile)

Also, I presume that the higher lumens bulbs will lessen the battery life.

posted Hide Post
I've actually written to them (to no avail) urging them to make a model without the focusing feature, which drives me nuts. No matter how you set it, you end up with a black spot in the center of the beam. Unless you are an LEO, who may need to break a head or auto glass, the newer, much smaller and brighter lights, seem to make more sense.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I have gone the Malkoff route several times. I think we have 4 of them around the house. The conversion head is easy to install and very bright. Very bright. The modification to the reflector consists of cutting a bit off the end of the existing plastic refelector with a hacksaw. If you masking tape it off and you take your time it might take you a whole minute.

Best part? The circuitry for the LED is actually considerably more efficient so the batteries last much longer. And yes they are very effective clubs which isn’t a bad thing. I got plenty of pocket sized Surefires.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post