SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aged Ethanol gas vs non ethanol gas testing in a video
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aged Ethanol gas vs non ethanol gas testing in a video Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Aged Ethanol gas E85 E10 vs non ethanol gas, tested.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks for posting!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
That was a very interesting video - thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Good video.

In summary, ethanol is crap.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Good video.

Out of curiosity, how long will marine diesel last?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've used non-ethanol fuel that was five years old, stilled smelled great. Stored in airtight, metal containers (NATO cans from Rover.com).

This video is just another thing to make me pissed at the government and their mandates.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good video.

I beg to differ. With the right Tune and a supercharger an Ethanol blend can make for a good bit more horsepower. Ethanol has higher octane and acts to cool the intake charge when it's blended into gasoline. So, take a turbocharged engine, swap in a larger Turbo, fuel it with an E50 or E60 blend, and add even more fuel with a Methanol/Water injection system. End result can be a dyno tested 380 WHP out of a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder.

BTW, non believers can do a search on Youtube for Fiesta versus Hellcat and see a puny little 4 cylinder humiliate a 700+ HP Hellcat.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good video.

Actually, the headline for me is fuel stabilizer is crap, something I've always suspected. I'm curious why he chose the Lucas stabilizer, when Stabil is, I believe, the most popular stabilizer. I'm not sure if the ingredients are largely similar or not. This may or may not be an indictment of all fuel stabllizers.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Good video.

I beg to differ. With the right Tune and a supercharger ...

Perhaps, but, for the average Joe or Jane, driving more typical vehicles or boats, or fueling our non-superchaged yard and snow equipment: Ethanol sucks.

Ethanol is one of the biggest, most egregious scams ever perpetrated on the public.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My testing was far less scientific. After I switched to non-ethanol fuel in all my yard equipment, I haven't had to replace a carb on any tool since. Never again will ethanol fuel be used in any of my equipment.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:
Good video.

I beg to differ. With the right Tune and a supercharger ...

Perhaps, but, for the average Joe or Jane, driving more typical vehicles or boats, or fueling our non-superchaged yard and snow equipment: Ethanol sucks.

Ethanol is one of the biggest, most egregious scams ever perpetrated on the public.
^^^This. And if you want real power, drop a supercharger or large turbo on a good motor, fuel it with regular non-ethanol fuel with a good octane booster added, and hit it with a 150hp shot of NOS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Good video.

I beg to differ. With the right Tune and a supercharger an Ethanol blend can make for a good bit more horsepower. Ethanol has higher octane and acts to cool the intake charge when it's blended into gasoline. So, take a turbocharged engine, swap in a larger Turbo, fuel it with an E50 or E60 blend, and add even more fuel with a Methanol/Water injection system. End result can be a dyno tested 380 WHP out of a 1.6 litre 4 cylinder.

BTW, non believers can do a search on Youtube for Fiesta versus Hellcat and see a puny little 4 cylinder humiliate a 700+ HP Hellcat.

Apples/oranges for someone who is aware of what you can do with ethanol, meth, and tune great. For my lawn equip. I want the option of E-0, but I don't know where to buy it close to home.

What gas do you put in your FiST over winter, or do you DD it? If you aren't DDing it, I'd suggest flashing back to stock and filling with lowest E fuel you can find to winterize it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
For small engines here is your strategy. never use ethanol fuel. non ethanol fuel is easily available and while expensive the amount small engines need makes this possible economically.
Bigger engines that are seasonal, run whatever. Prior to storage run them with non ethanol fuel mixed with a small amount of two stroke oil mixed 50 or 100:1. The amount of protection this gives is unbelievable.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Good video.

Do know for sure, but my anecdotal evidence is several years, in my case 5+ years at one point when I really didn't use my boat much other than to live aboard, and I have a box truck with the same tank of diesel since 2014 that starts and runs fine

Diesel can suffer from water contamination, generally water condensing on the inside of the fuel tank, and that water can support biological growth, so a good fuel/water separator and an additive that kills the microbes in the water is necessary particularly when the diesel turnover in the tank is small.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
For small engines here is your strategy. never use ethanol fuel. non ethanol fuel is easily available and while expensive the amount small engines need makes this possible economically.
Bigger engines that are seasonal, run whatever. Prior to storage run them with non ethanol fuel mixed with a small amount of two stroke oil mixed 50 or 100:1. The amount of protection this gives is unbelievable.
FWIW>

Lawn mower shop by my house sells what I think is a quarter gallon of the E-0 Stuff ($9.99)and suggested the exact same thing, get the 2 cycle instead of 4 cycle. Says it might smoke a bit on first tank, but it will save carb, hoses, and other components.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want the option of E-0, but I don't know where to buy it close to home.

Sources for ethanol free gas

My closest locations are not exactly convenient to me, but I take a gas tank with me when I travel.

Also note the disclaimer in the middle of the video where he states that "modern fuel injection systems designed for ethanol fuels don't experience this type of corrosion since they are made of metals, seals, and rubber that's not effected by ethanol."

posted Hide Post
I am unaware why canned non ethanol fuel for small engines is unavailable in VA. I have seen it in stores just about everywhere else. A quick search shows that almost every major chain I expect to have it shows availability in VA.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Good video.

Years for sure, but after a while the diesel will actually form a gel like substance on the surfaces of the storage tank. But again, that might take years. Our biggest concern though are microbes forming in the fuel which left untreated can begin to clog fuel filters, injectors, etc. We combat that with a biocide treatment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Non-ethanol fuel is NOT easily available in my AO--the nearest station is 50 miles away and I'd use 4 gallons of gas on the round trip to get it. It's not worth the trip.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I am unaware why canned non ethanol fuel for small engines is unavailable in VA. I have seen it in stores just about everywhere else. A quick search shows that almost every major chain I expect to have it shows availability in VA.

I had not known of such a thing until yesterday. I was talking about at the pump. If my local lawn mower shop sells it I'm sure other places do. It was news to me. Brought lawn mower in because I hit property marker I didn't know was there. Actually didn't even ask about gas, was the guy in line in front of me that asked. I always just ran dry or filled to the brim for winter in the past. If I hadn't ruined my mower, I'd try it this year. Bent crank shaft. Guy tells me it'd be $270 to fix $500 mower, run it til the wheels vibrate off or motor destroys itself. Said mine wasn't bad, would still last at least a season, if not 2-3. Now I have a wobbly motor at idle, but mostly normal at cutting speed. I was happy with results. Two more wacks long ago on prop marker would have saved me a bunch of heartache.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis