quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Good video.

In summary, ethanol is crap.

I beg to differ. With the right Tune and a supercharger ...

Perhaps, but, for the average Joe or Jane, driving more typical vehicles or boats, or fueling our non-superchaged yard and snow equipment: Ethanol sucks.

Ethanol is one of the biggest, most egregious scams ever perpetrated on the public.
^^^This. And if you want real power, drop a supercharger or large turbo on a good motor, fuel it with regular non-ethanol fuel with a good octane booster added, and hit it with a 150hp shot of NOS.

Actually a lot of people running turbos with smaller engines welcome ethanol for making more power (more oxygen and other benefits). They often run E30 - E85 blends depending on their tuning.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
October 21, 2019, 09:08 PM
sourdough44
My engines get 100 low-lead aviation fuel for the off season. That’s anything without a cat-converter.

I run it into the engine, carb, with a full tank.

http://100ll.com/

One may have to jump through a few hoops to get some, usually not to difficult. No need for fuel stabilizers with 100LL.
October 21, 2019, 09:08 PM
tatortodd
Here in Texas, Buc-Ee's has started carrying it at most of their gas stations. Yet another reason to stop at Buc-Ee's.
quote:
Q: Does Buc-ee's have Ethanol-free Gas or DEF at the pump?

A: These locations have Ethanol-free Gas or DEF at the pump:
  • Angleton, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 2304 West Mulberry (Corner of 35 and 288), Buc-ee's #25
  • Bastrop, TX 90 Octane and DEF at 1700 Hwy 71 East, Buc-ee’s #28 only on the north side of the store
  • Brazoria, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 801 North Brooks Street (Hwy 36), Buc-ee’s #3
  • Denton, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 2800 South I-35E, Buc-ee’s #39
  • Ennis, TX 90 Octane and DEF at 1402 S Interstate 45, Buc-ee's #48 Coming First Quarter 2020
  • Katy, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 27700 Katy Freeway, Buc-ee’s #40
  • Lake Jackson, TX 92 Octane at 899 Oyster Creek Drive, Buc-ee’s #1
  • Melissa, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 1550 Central Expressway, Buc-ee’s #44
  • Robertsdale, Alabama 89 Octane and DEF at 20403 County Road 68, Buc-ee’s #42
  • Royse City, TX 90 Octane and DEF at 5005 E. Interstate 30, Buc-ee’s #38
  • Texas City, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 6201 Gulf Freeway (I-45), Buc-ee’s #33
  • Waller, TX 92 Octane and DEF at 40900 US Hwy 290 Bypass, Buc-ee’s #18 only on the west side of the store
  • This is a nice improvement as previously it was mainly marinas at big lakes that had E0 at the pump.

Just the other day at work, my coworkers and I were cussing and discussing 4-cycle small gasoline engines. Everybody has had a much better experience with E0 in very small engines like weedwhackers that are used weekly and agreed that since they used so little buying the overpriced cans of E0 at big box stores (e.g. Home Depot) makes sense. On lawnmowers, the larger motors used weekly with E10 didn't experience many problems and certainly not enough to drive out of the way to fill 5 gallon containers with E0.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
    October 21, 2019, 09:20 PM
    RogueJSK
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm lucky enough to have a gas station a few blocks away that offers decently priced non-ethanol gas. It's usually only about 30 cents more per gallon than E10.

That's all I run through my lawn equipment.
    October 21, 2019, 09:42 PM
    DonDraper
    quote:
    Originally posted by sourdough44:
    My engines get 100 low-lead aviation fuel for the off season. That’s anything without a cat-converter.

One may have to jump through a few hoops to get some, usually not to difficult. No need for fuel stabilizers with 100LL.

What engines do you run that in exactly? Hopefully not your daily drivers...

--------------------
    I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
    October 21, 2019, 11:02 PM
    jimmy123x
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    Good video.

In summary, ethanol is crap.

Out of curiosity, how long will marine diesel last?

Several years without an ill effects on it's performance, perhaps up till 10 years. It depends on the diesel also, a lesser performance old mechanical diesel will burn just about any crap. I'm sure lots of backup generator tanks at places like hospitals have 5+ year old fuel sitting in there. A good biocide helps a lot. I don't run it in any of the yachts I manage because none of them sit longer than a month or two between going through 70-80% of a tank of fuel.

I burn at least 100,000 gallons of marine diesel a year or more.....some of it has been 2-5 years old or longer......in extreme situations even longer. At 50-200 gallons per hour, sometimes burning 10 gallons per mile, it's not hard to do.

What does happen with marine diesel that's been sitting a long time in yachts is many times it will grow algae in it that will clog fuel filters in short order. Not changed soon enough and you can start splitting tips on fuel injectors and stuff. Algae needs heat, air, and water to grow......you always have the first two, and the third (water) comes from condensation etc. as the tanks have open vents to the atmosphere. Polishing or filtering the fuel down to 2 microns is popular (circulating it through a centrifuge or filters). Also there are products that will kill/disintegrate it and others that will prevent it from growing. I like Power Service "clear tank diesel".

Most of the 100' or larger yachts have a built in centrifuge to clean the fuel you're transferring from the storage tanks to the day tank(s).

Some of the yachts I have worked on hold 20,000 gallons of fuel or more. It's easy for an owner to lose interest in his yacht and use it very little after a few years and it just sits there in the tanks...….

ULS diesel mixed with Offroad will actually break the algae up into much smaller microns and really cause a mess of the fuel filters and fuel system.....I used to see that a lot on yachts that sat, then did a Bahamas trip.....Bahamian diesel was Low sulpher, might have even been Ultra Low Sulpher and our offroad diesel was high sulpher.
    October 21, 2019, 11:08 PM
    preten2b
    I haven't found ethanol free gas anywhere lately. Must be a state change when I wasn't looking.
    Frown

<<<< note cut

------------------
    The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
    October 21, 2019, 11:18 PM
    jimmy123x
    quote:
    Originally posted by preten2b:
    I haven't found ethanol free gas anywhere lately. Must be a state change when I wasn't looking.
    Frown

<<<< note cut

Check here:
    https://www.pure-gas.org/?stateprov=PA
    October 22, 2019, 12:52 AM
    OKCGene
    Fortunately for OKC area people, 100% pure gas, no ethanol, is every where. Easy peazy to find. And it’s very reasonably priced, my last fill up was $2.19 per gallon.

Screw that ethanol crap.
    October 22, 2019, 02:16 AM
    slosig
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    Apples/oranges for someone who is aware of what you can do with ethanol, meth, and tune great. For my lawn equip. I want the option of E-0, but I don't know where to buy it close to home.

Got a local airport? 100LL has no ethanol and none of the aromatics in mogas that turns into varnish or jelly with time. 100LL is more expensive than mogas, but some think the extra expense is worth having their chainsaws and other small motors just work regardless of how long they’ve been sitting.

ETA: $9.99 per quart for ethanol free gas makes 100LL look cheap. I thought Las Vegas McCarran was steep when they wanted $8 per gallon.
    October 22, 2019, 04:57 AM
    sourdough44
    quote:
    Originally posted by DonDraper:
    quote:
    Originally posted by sourdough44:

What engines do you run that in exactly? Hopefully not your daily drivers...

Mowers, snowblower, ATV, & Snowmobiles, only during storage. One older dual-sport motorcycle too. No, never a ‘daily driver’, no sense. It would also destroy a catalytic converter in short order.
    October 22, 2019, 10:38 AM
    ensigmatic
    quote:
    Originally posted by jigray3:
    Actually, the headline for me is fuel stabilizer is crap, something I've always suspected.

Maybe you need to re-watch the video? It's apparent it won't do miracles, but it can help--at least with E10.

quote:
    Originally posted by jigray3:
    I'm curious why he chose the Lucas stabilizer, when Stabil is, I believe, the most popular stabilizer.

Perhaps because the Lucas product explicitly promises to improve the longevity of ethanol fuels, whereas Stabil makes no such claims?

quote:
    Originally posted by bigdeal:
    My testing was far less scientific. After I switched to non-ethanol fuel in all my yard equipment, I haven't had to replace a carb on any tool since.

I first switched for the fuel for my snow throwers. I'd never had a problem with my summer yard gear, and I hadn't even been religious about winterizing the stuff. (I am now.) But my older Toro 2-cycle snow thrower had become a problem every season, even though I'd summerized it religiously. Switched to unadulterated fuel and all its problems magically disappeared.

My Stihl chain saw used to be hard-starting, too, even though I'd always run it dry after use. After the switch to un-contaminated-from-the-pump fuel it's no longer a problem.

quote:
    Originally posted by bigdeal:
    Never again will ethanol fuel be used in any of my equipment.

Yup. After my first winter's experience with real gas in my snow throwers, I now fuel all my small engine equipment with nothing but real gas. I do add Stabil as an extra measure of insurance.

The last of the pre-polluted fuel got used up sometime by early summer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
    October 22, 2019, 11:39 AM
    preten2b
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    quote:
    Frown

<<<< note cut

Check here:
    https://www.pure-gas.org/?stateprov=PA

Thanks jimmy but already found that. Closest one shown is 40 min away. However I have seen articles which say PA has required 10% and currently believe the website info to be too outdated to make a special trip for nothing.

------------------
    The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
    October 22, 2019, 11:42 AM
    ensigmatic
    quote:
    ... I have seen articles which say PA has required 10% and currently believe the website info to be too outdated to make a special trip for nothing.

You could call 'em on the phone and ask.

I would be surprised if the state mandated adulterated gasoline had to be used in everything. It is a known, proven fact ethanol blends will destroy some older engines.

I have a gas station right around the corner, but they don't carry unpolluted gas. (They say they plan to add it during a planned expansion in a couple years.) So I drive about fifteen minutes to the closest station that does. I always fill at least two 5-6 ga. cans/trip.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
    October 22, 2019, 11:48 AM
    bigdeal
    quote:
    Originally posted by ensigmatic:
    I would be surprised if the state mandated adulterated gasoline had to be used in everything. It is a known, proven fact ethanol blends will destroy some older engines.
    Yep, and I really fear the day they force the next evolution of ethanol on us given it would likely kill my 20 year old Ford truck, which I have no intention of getting rid of anytime soon.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
    October 22, 2019, 12:16 PM
    PASig
    quote:
    Frown

<<<< note cut

I'm in Berks Co, PA too and there is supposed to be a place in Fleetwood that has non-ethanol gas still. When I get my new lawnmower next spring, that's the only gas I plan to ever use in it.

October 22, 2019, 12:47 PM
    Neel
    I can get ethanol free but it's premium only and comes with the increased cost.

On my yard equipment, atv, lawn tractor, tiller, they get a tank of ethanol free every third fill up.

Saws, and trimmer ethanol free only.

October 22, 2019, 09:41 PM
    bubbatime
    Good video.

Some tips, from me, who had a small engine shop.

1) Buy non ethanol fuel if you can
    2) Make sure your fuel can is the new style that blows up like a blimp if you leave it in the sun. These dont breath, which is a good thing. Keeps moisture and air out of the can, which prolongs fuel life.
    2a) If your gas can is more than ten years old, it probably leaks. Replace it.
    3) Label your gas can when you buy it. I use blue painters tape and a sharpie marker. I label the can with the date, fuel type. When the fuel gets 5 or 6 months old, dump it in your car, and replace it.
    4) The premix 50:1 fuel that Home Depot sells for $5 a can is FANTASTIC. The average homeowner is going to use less than 2 cans of this stuff a year, and its a damn bargain. It is not too expensive, and if use a gallon of premix fuel a year or less, and you are not using it, logically speaking, we need to ask, why?
    4a) They also sell 4 stroke, non ethanol cans as well for $5 per can. This is good stuff to run through your equipment prior to winter storage if you dont have non ethanol fuel available locally.

These cans below are made by VPRacing fuels and are excellent quality. HIghly recommnded.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Po...-Fuel-6985/206455565

October 23, 2019, 04:27 PM
    SigJacket
    Home Depot (at least) carries Trufuel but all of the Quicktrips around are selling non ethanol fuels.

eta: shoulda looked at 4 and 4a above closer, I think we’re talking the same thing.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
    October 23, 2019, 07:39 PM
    springnr
    quote:
    Originally posted by flashguy:
    Non-ethanol fuel is NOT easily available in my AO--the nearest station is 50 miles away and I'd use 4 gallons of gas on the round trip to get it. It's not worth the trip.
    flashguy

It appears google maps might be more up to date than the pure gas site.

Google map: Non Ethanol Gas