SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia members (and others) with daughters in HS interested in STEM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia members (and others) with daughters in HS interested in STEM Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted
Randolph Macon College is having a STEM summer camp type deal for girls in HS. Participants attend for free and earn a $2500 scholarship to the college of their choice upon completing the program. My daughter just applied and I figured I'd pass the information on to others that may benefit as well. Deadline is until filled so however long that takes?

Link to schools website and application

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I just entered my daughters application, I'm hoping she gets in.

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
And note that females in STEM majors at traditional male technical schools tend to get pretty good scholarships.

Says that dad of the daughter graduating this month from Rochester Institute of Technology with her BS/MS in Environmental Science. In 5 years. With a job at a decent consulting company already offered and accepted...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
nice feersum dreadnaught. I am trying to "nudge" my daughter into a STEM field. She is set on being a nurse and that's fine and dandy, but I think she'd end up hating life in a hospital. Hopefully she is accepted into the program and has an "Aha!" moment once she sees the spectacular opportunities afforded those in STEM.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
nice feersum dreadnaught. I am trying to "nudge" my daughter into a STEM field. She is set on being a nurse and that's fine and dandy, but I think she'd end up hating life in a hospital. Hopefully she is accepted into the program and has an "Aha!" moment once she sees the spectacular opportunities afforded those in STEM.

she can still get a BS in a STEM subject (organic chemistry or micro-biology come to mind), then head towards nursing - but far better to do a few years nursing, (or not), then become a Physician's Assistant...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My daughter is going to Harvard for a similar program this summer. It was by invitation only and picked on grade averages and other factors. I am so very proud of her. She is one of a few going from Kentucky.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post