SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coffee experts, some help please?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee experts, some help please? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You can get a very good Caffè Americano approximation from a drip coffee maker, but not from the average one you find in most regular consumer department stores.

Even a close friend of mine with a pro-grade espresso machine, who roasted his own beans, pronounced the coffee I served at dinner parties as "not half bad" Smile

To get "decent" coffee from a drip coffee maker you have to up your game to at least something like a Cuisinart Brew Central or, better yet, a Bonavita or Technivorm. In either case: You need a decent burr grinder (the earlier-cited Capresso Infinity will do) and ditch the paper for metal mesh filters.

Grind just before brewing. Coffee going stale is a function of the roasted beans' exposure to air. When you grind them you increase the surface area dramatically. Great for brewing. Bad for freshness.

Beans should be as freshly-roasted as possible. I've allowed my standards to fall, but I used to buy my beans freshly-roasted from a nearby roaster.

Also: Filter your water with something like a Brita, to remove the chlorine taste (city water) or iron/manganese (well).

And never, ever let it sit on a warming plate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
sugar-free hazelnut creamer

Smile

just regrind that coffee, then, and proceed as usual.

LOL I know, I know. I don't like that bitterness I get from black coffee.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic, so something like this and a burr grinder?

This is like trying to get a fan of Falls City beer to become an expert on French wines. Big Grin

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
That's coffee for the trail. Ya boil it right in the pot then drink it grounds and all. Or strain it through an old sock. Big Grin

French press is right. Call the company and ask. they probably made a mistake.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
While I always liked the smell of coffee, I never actually liked it much until having very good coffee that was freshly roasted, ground as needed, and made in a press or percolator, and unless you're willing to go to those extents - just go with what you know and like.

Otherwise it's much like niggling over which good Bourbon to mix with Diet Coke...

Nothing wrong with either, drink coffee however you please.

But many of the suggestions here are nearly pointless if you're adding stuff like that to it.

Go with what you know. Grind that stuff finer, do your thing, and enjoy it. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were me for this 2 bags of coffee I would put a paper filter in my wire filter basket and see what happens.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Also consider a pour over system.
Admission is cheap and the coffee is excellent.
Hario glass and a gooseneck kettle is a good start. I'll reinforce the forum wisdom and experience, get a good burr grinder.
Premium coffee deserves a premium process.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Yes. That is the brewer I've been using for years. (Even have a new one in reserve.)

That's at the low end of "acceptable"/"decent" brewers. (N.B.: Everybody draws their own lines.)

quote:
This is like trying to get a fan of Falls City beer to become an expert on French wines. Big Grin

Smile

I actually ended-up something of a coffee aficionado by accident. It started with a Gevalia subscription and just escalated from there.

That, btw, is not a bad, nor overly expensive, way to move toward better coffee. I don't know how they are, now, but Gevalia used to give away pretty decent brewers with signing up for their coffee. I started out on my path to coffee-snob-level coffee with Gevalia whole bean, a Gevalia brewer, and a whirly-blade "grinder."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would suggest a burr grinder that will allow to grind to different sizes as you have selected and a good drip pot such as a Technivorm (ouch on the price) or an equally performing but less expensive Bonavita is which I did.
I do prefer the French Press to flavor and the coffee is hotter but it makes less and more work.
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grind isn't for your present machine.
Are you hoping to like this coffee if you can get a good brew?

Go to Wal-Mart, TARGET, or Bed Bath & Beyond and grab an inexpensive (maybe $15) french press like the one that has been in my camping gear for oh so many years now. They're very easy to use and make most excellent coffee. Then if you like that coffee brand take the necessary steps to make it work in your current coffee maker or just stay with the french press.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is like trying to get a fan of Falls City beer to become an expert on French wines.

Nothing better than '60s Falls City long-necks and a bag of White Castles at 03:00 in the morning. Sadly, I don't think that company with that brew is still in business in spite of my best efforts to singlehandedly keep 'em afloat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Black Rifle (BRCC) makes some excellent coffee and you will have to do some experimenting to get the most from their coffee.

I tried the french press and found it tedious and messy and since I only have one cup of coffee a day, and I don't have the time or patience to properly brew my coffee, I finally decided on their coffee rounds in my Keurig. I like their CAF or Expresso.

Also, check out their Gear section, they have a couple presses that might fit your needs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Just come over, I'll introduce you to the myriad options regarding proper coffee prep.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So on Memorial Day I bought some BRCC coffee....

So six months later.... not so fresh coffee might be problem #1.
I do single cup pour overs using a double walled glass coffee cup, ceramic dripper, gooseneck water boiler, and a Baratza Encore Grinder.
I pour a little over 1/3 cup of hot water into the cup. The pour over water is leaching the goodies out of the ground coffee. Too much water over leaches the ground beans. After the goodies are leached the acidic compounds then begin extracting also.
Then set the dripper with coffee and filter on top and splash a little water int the grounds to release the bound up co2 gasses from the bean, wait ~30 seconds, then slowly pour the water in a spiral motion until the cup is full enough. I measure the coffee when I need re-calibrated, new type of beans, etc. you do get a feel for it so the scale gets used less now days.

Understanding Degassing

Brewing guides

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I would suggest a burr grinder that will allow to grind to different sizes as you have selected and a good drip pot such as a Technivorm (ouch on the price) or an equally performing but less expensive Bonavita is which I did.
I do prefer the French Press to flavor and the coffee is hotter but it makes less and more work.
YMMV
To add to smschulz's post, if the OP is going to buy a drip coffee maker, I urge him to consider purchasing one off the SCA Certified Home Brewers List:
Technivorm Moccamaster
Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
Cuisinart PurePrecision™ Pour Over Coffee Brewer

This is the longest I've ever seen the list since I learned about it (only 3 listed when I bought my Technivorm). There are several important factors that separate the above coffee makers from everyone else such as ideal brewing temperature (some coffee makers only heat water to 140 when it needs to get over 195 but stay under 206), residence time of the water in the grounds, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That list is yuge now. (12 items long).

Coffee nerds have never had it so good, if they choose.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:

D'OH!!! Veteran's Day, I mean.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
Just come over, I'll introduce you to the myriad options regarding proper coffee prep.

Can I come over before work? Big Grin

I have had "good" coffee at a couple of places here in Charleston. The place at Capitol Market is always good. Taylor Books is hit and miss. I would like to try a "good" black coffee and since I have a couple of bags, I'll try the "add a filter to the filter" method in the immediate future. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:

D'OH!!! Veteran's Day, I mean.

You might try dampening the grounds first to see if that helps.
The Real Science Behind The Coffee Bloom

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had "good" coffee at a couple of places here in Charleston. The place at Capitol Market is always good. Taylor Books is hit and miss. I would like to try a "good" black coffee and since I have a couple of bags, I'll try the "add a filter to the filter" method in the immediate future. Big Grin

Mea Cuppa is decent, at least consistent.
Moxxee is decent as well, it's way too hipster for me.
Taylor Books sucks. Liberal coffee=swill. Although better than starbucks, they can't make an Americano if their lives depended on it.
I'm not a fan of black rifle coffee. It's okay, but there are better beans out there for the price.
As mentioned earlier, I would french press what you have.
Also you've had it since Memorial Day so it isn't the freshest it should be.
Avoid buying pre-ground and learn to grind yourself.
I keep a manual burr grinder and a french press/and pour over at work.
Although I did get a Kitchenaid pour-over machine a while ago and it is really great.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post