SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon offering $40 off Prime for Veterans & Active
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon offering $40 off Prime for Veterans & Active Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
While I qualify for this special as a military retiree, I'm passing.
Why?

--My Amazon orders routinely always qualify for free shipping.
--I'm invariably in no hurry for the goods, but usually get my orders within a week if not quicker...even Sunday deliveries by USPS at times. Smile
--Prime delivery services have deteriorated with the loss of FedEx according to locals I know.
--Prime member "xtras" like streaming are of no interest to me.
--I also order from others like Wayfair, Jet, and Walmart who give free shipping and in many cases better prices than Amazon.
--And FWIW I'm not a member of Sam's locally either (no Costco available), but I do utilize local military commissary and local / online exchange stores.

The free shipping is only one part of Amazon Prime. $9.91 per month at full price gets you the entertainment side and is less than Netflix and offers a more extensive movie library than Netflix along with original content. I think it's great deal. Sure there are ways to get around the shipping, but just one order per month at free shipping just about pays for it. And Amazon's return program is very generous. You don't even need to box stuff up to return it (at no cost usually). Just take it to Kohls or a UPS store along with the paperwork you download and they package and ship it for you. Usually your credit card sees the refund as soon as the place you drop it off at scans the label. I've also found that inexpensive items just get credited with no return required.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
They [Amazon] must have access to VA info.

I certainly hope not.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
While I qualify for this special as a military retiree, I'm passing.
Why?

--My Amazon orders routinely always qualify for free shipping.
--I'm invariably in no hurry for the goods, but usually get my orders within a week if not quicker...even Sunday deliveries by USPS at times. Smile
--Prime delivery services have deteriorated with the loss of FedEx according to locals I know.
--Prime member "xtras" like streaming are of no interest to me.
--I also order from others like Wayfair, Jet, and Walmart who give free shipping and in many cases better prices than Amazon.
--And FWIW I'm not a member of Sam's locally either (no Costco available), but I do utilize local military commissary and local / online exchange stores.
The free shipping is only one part of Amazon Prime. $9.91 per month at full price gets you the entertainment side and is less than Netflix and offers a more extensive movie library than Netflix along with original content. I think it's great deal. Sure there are ways to get around the shipping, but just one order per month at free shipping just about pays for it. And Amazon's return program is very generous. You don't even need to box stuff up to return it (at no cost usually). Just take it to Kohls or a UPS store along with the paperwork you download and they package and ship it for you. Usually your credit card sees the refund as soon as the place you drop it off at scans the label. I've also found that inexpensive items just get credited with no return required.
What Navy Guy said.

Also, I read a lot. The "Prime Reading" feature offers a very large selection of books that can be read for free on a Kindle. You don't have to buy a Kindle reader, either. There are free Kindle apps that you can download to read Kindle-formatted books on smart phones, tablets, and computers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I hear you guys but apparently I'm an old curmudgeon Luddite. Smile

When I cut the cable I opted for zero fee based streaming services like Netflix. So Amazon streaming video (or audio services for that matter) is of no interest. Free channels on my RokuTV are more than enough for me. Big Grin

And I'm still old school preferring paper for my reading material. Tried but couldn't adjust to reading on a screen. Uncomfortable, eye straining, and cumbersome compared to tactile page turning. Smile

Never have had a problem with returns and credits without being a Prime member FWIW.

So, while I very much appreciate your points, I remain one of, I guess, the very few for which paying for a Prime membership is a non-starter.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck416:

in my case, this did not offer any savings. The advertised discount is from normal price of $119/yr down to $79/yr. I am only paying $59/yr
How are you getting Amazon Prime for $59 / year? That's a good deal!

When I responded, I simply failed to realize my subscription was NOT an "apples-to-apples" comparison. Yes, I got a student discount...and it is actually my daughters account.

Hope I did not confuse the issue.

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Worked for me, thanks!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.va.gov/opa/amazon.asp

Here is a link to the request page, active through the 11th I think.

Our Prime account is in the wife’s name, may not work here.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked for me, Thanks to the OP.

I use the streaming and I am glad to have the faster shipping.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
The $59 per year fee is for students from what i remember.

I guess I shouldn't complain that I could not sign up for the Veteran's rate. I tried chat, but it was useless. I couldn't find an E-mail address. I was scrolling through this thread looking for where I might find the E-mail, and discovered the 'student rate.' I did not know about this.

SO, I got Prime at the $59 rate, thanks to Sigforum in general and steve495 in particular. Cool Big Grin

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post