SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you avoid sidewalk grates?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you avoid sidewalk grates? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Walking along city sidewalks, I often come to grates, or metal utility access doors. I usually detour around them. Maybe I'm overly cautious – I don't see anyone else doing this. What do you guys do?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Only when I have my high heels on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope.

This put a stop to that.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
My dad fell down one as a kid. The metal basement access doors were closed but when he stepped onto them the doors gave way and caved in. I've seen it happen to another person as well. Because of that I try to avoid them if possible, but I don't obsess about it. I will stop and walk around a set of closed doors that visibly look old and rickety. IN NYC you come across more than a few of those. As for subway grates and things like that, I walk over them no issues.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I only become aware of them (at all) when carrying something in my hand, keys, phone, etc. as I'm walking by. I know that, odds are, I'll lose something down there that I value one day when I'm not paying enough attention.

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Some of them have cool air coming out from them. I like those.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking along city sidewalks, I often come to grates, or metal utility access doors. I usually detour around them. Maybe I'm overly cautious – I don't see anyone else doing this. What do you guys do?

I am too busy texting on my phone when walking to notice those things. LOL

Do you walk under ladders, and stay home on Friday the 13th?

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I jump on the cracks too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No particular effort to avoid them, unless it is raining, snowy or icy, then they can be a slip hazard. What are really bad are storm drain grates with parallel bars in the street next to the sidewalk. When the grates run parallel to the street, they will fold a bicycle wheel in half and send you flying if you drop it in one. This happened to me once. But I gave up bicycling shortly after getting my driver's license anyway.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I understand WHY people avoid them, but I'd wager they may be safer than some areas of the sidewalk!

As I explained to my son, that hole doesn't just go straight down, it likely runs the length of the sidewalk in form of a drain. So there is a void underneath you the whole time. You just don't care cause you can't see it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6315 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I understand WHY people avoid them, but I'd wager they may be safer than some areas of the sidewalk!

As I explained to my son, that hole doesn't just go straight down, it likely runs the length of the sidewalk in form of a drain. So there is a void underneath you the whole time. You just don't care cause you can't see it.

You're correct about that!

"A New York woman suffered serious injuries when the sidewalk collapsed beneath her feet on Saturday. …"

https://www.google.com/amp/www...ed-article-1.3386668

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I generally avoid them. Too many years of walking in dressy shoes (ie., shoes with smooth leather soles) in too many cities in too many kinds of bad weather. Then again I've inadvertently gone skiing down a smooth, dry sidewalk in SF wearing shoes like that, too.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever encounter them, but I don't avoid them.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid them. I also avoid the old steel bridges with grating on the "floor."

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom, as a speech pathologist, was treating a patient out of her office when I was young, that suffered a brain injury resulting from a fall thru a rotted out steel grate. The person needed to re-learn how to talk.

So some 50 or so years later, I think of that (almost always) whenever I approach a steel grate, and will avoid it.

She also was working with someone who accidentally banged her head into the corner of a steel cabinet door when she stood up and lost her ability speak clearly, so I have a long-term habit of closing cabinet doors, especially if someone is crouched below them.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I could deal with Bigfoot, the Boogeyman, C.H.U.D., and Pennywise who all live below those grates. What I couldn't take as a kid and why I still avoid walking on grates ... heights.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mom, as a speech pathologist, was treating a patient out of her office when I was young, that suffered a brain injury resulting from a fall thru a rotted out steel grate. The person needed to re-learn how to talk.

So some 50 or so years later, I think of that (almost always) whenever I approach a steel grate, and will avoid it.

She also was working with someone who accidentally banged her head into the corner of a steel cabinet door when she stood up and lost her ability speak clearly, so I have a long-term habit of closing cabinet doors, especially if someone is crouched below them.

If you work in orthopedics or the ER you learn the world is not a very safe place. If you think too much about these things you develop agoraphobia. LOL

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
There have been a few electrocutions in NYC this way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/si...ks-kill-walker-dogs/

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Generally No. Acception if it looks unsafe for some reason but that's normally not the case.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post