SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Narcan Parties. I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I'm not.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Narcan Parties. I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I'm not. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Why should police carry Narcan, if they don't carry epinephrine, atropine, glucagon, D50, or flumazenil?

Does the level of training needed to administered nthose drugs the same as Narcan?

Well, my point was in jest...I was waving at the absurdity that of all the drugs that can immediately save a life and can be administered in the field, Narcan is the only one that society feels like their police need to carry, which isn't truly necessary to save a life, compared to the ones that are.

But for the sake of discussion:
The other drugs listed can be given in the same ways as Narcan (either in the nose or with a needle in a large muscle group, which is how the free clinics are training and giving out Narcan), with the exception of D50, which is basically diluted sugar.

The amount of training is similar or the same. And most state's initial law enforcement certification programs cover basic First Responder training, that would include assessment for things like severe allergic reactions, hypoglycemia, etc. My state's includes teaching how to administer Epi.

I'm not promoting the idea...just saying it's stupid.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'm firmly in the "let 'em die" camp...

(the only reason the cops should be carrying Narcan is to protect themselves from some junkie asshole's dope exposure)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I'm firmly in the "let 'em die" camp...

(the only reason the cops should be carrying Narcan is to protect themselves from some junkie asshole's dope exposure)

Yep. If they expose first responders, they should be charged with attempted murder.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, I can't stand druggies. I live in South Florida and 3 out of 4 of them in rehab centers are shipped in from out of state. 90% of them flunk out the first week or two and never make it home and are all over our sidewalks. There's a rehab center every mile, then the state pays $700 per person per month for a halfway house, these rehab people buy a house in a nice normal neighborhood, put 12 of these addicts in it at $8400 a month income and they're wandering all over our nice neighborhoods....junkies passed out in people's bushes in their front yard etc.

These aren't Narcan parties, they're simple Heroin dens and the Heroin might have too much fentanyl in it and the people are just simply OD'ing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Yep. If they expose first responders, they should be charged with attempted murder.

or the First Responder gets a pass at beating the guy's ass or letting him OD-whichever...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my old dept has had to naloxone a K9 who sniffed Fentanyl/heroin stash, plus got some on her paws.

The hard core junkies call that OD circle a Lazarus Party, as one guy has naloxone, and all the others shoot up. He stays sober to bring them back from the dead.
The county health department will provide NarCan to the families of addicts, but not to addicts.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nurses revived with Narcan after exposure to Fentanyl.
LINk
http://wgntv.com/2017/08/11/th...ed-at-ohio-hospital/

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Please allow me to voice an unpopular view. I had surgery while back. It was bypass surgery. I I had it again, the biggest prescription would be enough for 2 days. Even with the big bottle of pills (happy pills) it was bad enough. Now the druggies have pushed the socially conscience legislators to severely limit the amount that someone who needs it can get.

So we get to the issue of "saving a life". We're even not allowed to discuss if the life is worth saving. Because the user isn't particularly careful about it. Some do it over and over. Has anyone ever discussed the contribution to society the druggies give back? Didn't think so. They are net "takers" who do various crimes to get the money to buy drugs, and now we want to spend ever more keeping them in business.

Even if we just lock them up and get them off the streets, we'd be better off. The liberals all say you can't lock them up for just using drugs. I wonder why not? Maybe it would hurt the glass replacement industry from all the auto burglaries.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post