SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Narcan Parties. I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I'm not.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Narcan Parties. I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I'm not. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I've never been a huge proponent of the push to provide naloxone to everybody that can thinks they should have it. I wrote a program for my old PD, at the request of the chief, but they didn't finish it and get it on the road until after I left. But in a lot of places anybody can get it for free, and police agencies carry it.

Why should police carry Narcan, if they don't carry epinephrine, atropine, glucagon, D50, or flumazenil? Those drugs actually are required to save people's lives. Narcan is not immediately required to save them. All people have to do is give rescue breaths until an ambulance gets there, and let it be their problem. But the one drug that police across the nation are being trained to use is Narcan (not that I think they should have to use any of them--just pointing out the silliness of the situation).

That's an aside to this article, which is kinda local for me. I'd say this should have been predictable.

quote:
'NARCAN PARTIES:' Drug users overdosing to be brought back to life
by: Tina Terry Updated: Aug 3, 2017 - 5:54 PM

Play Video
Facebook Email
SALISBURY, N.C. - Rowan County emergency workers expressed frustration Thursday over "Narcan parties" that they said are increasing in the area.

They said they've noticed the spike over the past six months.

"With Narcan readily available and over the counter now, they are having group gatherings called Narcan parties,” said Chris Richardson, Emergency Management Services battalion chief for Rowan County. “They will have numerous people around.”

He said party-goers get high in houses or cars in public places, then an emergency responder with Narcan will try to revive them, giving the drug user a rush.

He said a few weeks ago that a couple overdosed on heroin at a shopping center, knowing an ambulance with Narcan was just a call away.

"Picked up the drug, didn't want to wait to get to their residence, both wanted to use, they did it in a public place so they would be found," Richardson said.

The numbers of overdoses are staggering.

There were 292 calls in 2016 in Rowan County when Narcan was administered.

This year, through June, they've already had 284 calls a 94 percent increase.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/loc...ck-to-life/580740050

Rowan County isn't a big place. It's got about 140,000 people. That's one big WTF.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"A rush"?
The only feeling you get from Narcan is the absence of opioid in your system. And withdrawal symptoms, if you're dependent on them, meaning instantly "dope sick".

Seems like bad journalism.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"A rush"?
The only feeling you get from Narcan is the absence of opioid in your system. And withdrawal symptoms, if you're dependent on them, meaning instantly "dope sick".

Seems like bad journalism.

Bruce

I take it to mean the new rush is knowing they are going to OD, and hoping they get Narcan'd before they die.

But I fully agree that 'bad journalism' is just as likely Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Why should police carry Narcan, if they don't carry epinephrine, atropine, glucagon, D50, or flumazenil?

The police would be able to carry all of those medications plus more if they didn't insist on carrying guns, pepper spray, Tasers, handcuffs, radios and body armor. Roll Eyes

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Narcan is for the child that ACCIDENTALLY finds medication.....let God take care of the junkies and addicts.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The police would be able to carry all of those medications plus more if they didn't insist on carrying guns, pepper spray, Tasers, handcuffs, radios and body armor.

I thought social work was part of their job description as First Responders. Maybe they could hand out pamphlets on how drugs are bad. The Mississippi Governor announced today a new program that was termed battling Opiate addiction. I was surprised since the state just cut the budget for addiction and mental health programs. Later in the article it read that the MHP would undergo training to administer Narcan. Another misguided attempt by government, to try and solve a problem created by the Pharmaceutical Industry in the mid 90s.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Narcan is for the child that ACCIDENTALLY finds medication.....let God take care of the junkies and addicts.

That's what I wanted to say but lacked the eloquence.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:

That's what I wanted to say but lacked the eloquence.

Well.....I'm agnostic so loosely translated I mean "Let em die".

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Now you guys have done it. Que up the "I hope it never happens to your family" or "Why Little Johnny can't quit and you guys are monsters" in 3, 2, 1......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I look at narcan being carried by cops more like an IFAK. If I am exposed to fentanyl during my duties as a LEO I want to have it readily available and have my coworkers trained to administer it to me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...yl-article-1.3170821

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I look at narcan being carried by cops more like an IFAK. If I am exposed to fentanyl during my duties as a LEO I want to have it readily available and have my coworkers trained to administer it to me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...yl-article-1.3170821

Your point is not wrong, however narcan is not needed in those situations. Rescue breaths every 3 to 5 seconds by the other officers until the fire dept or EMTs get there works just as well.

-JALLEN

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ah. More unintended consequences.

I was thinking, “I’m glad I have no responsibility for anticipating such things,” but then I realized that it wouldn’t make the slightest difference if a few far-sighted people did. Once someone gets an idea that enough people think is a good one, they take on an unkillable life of their own.

But I am curious how it is that the pharmaceutical companies are to blame for opioid addiction. Does that mean the gun and ammunition manufactures are to blame for the murder rate? Confused I’m so confused.

As an old guy, I’m also starting to wonder what effect this crackdown on opiates might have on me. If, for example, I develop cancer, will doctors be unable to prescribe the painkillers that would make my passing a little easier? But I guess it is more important that other people be kept from doing what they want to their bodies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I am curious how it is that the pharmaceutical companies are to blame for opioid addiction. Does that mean the gun and ammunition manufactures are to blame for the murder rate? I’m so confused.

NO. Not a good analogy. Purdue Pharma marketed Oxycodone as a long acting drug that was not addicting for patients in pain. They convinced Doctors of its safety and it was prescribed frequently. Prior to Oxycodone, opiates were not prescribed much at all. A few top executives went to jail as a result. Thousands of Americans are addicted to opiates, and this is the result.

For those interested in the role of Big Pharma here is the link to one story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05...ness/11drug-web.html

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Well could we just give Narcan to the drug addicts that were "turning their life around" when they OD'd?

I always hear that when the reporter interviews a family member of a overdose "victim" so that could be a sign they can have some.

OK, maybe not.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I am like sgalczyn and Skull Leader.

My narcan is primarily for me. Was testing substances the other day and kept my narcan close. I was safe. It was only cocaine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Drug addicts are the new victims of society.

Take this twat, a teacher who brought drugs to school...
http://www.oregonlive.com/clac...ers_arrest_when.html

now she's somehow a victim.

here is the original report about her, before the news media decided they loved her:
http://www.oregonlive.com/clac...on_teacher_arre.html

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your point is not wrong, however narcan is not needed in those situations. Rescue breaths every 3 to 5 seconds by the other officers until the fire dept or EMTs get there works just as well.

I guess if you want to be kissed by your coworkers every 3 to 5 seconds, it's just as good.
NOT that there's anything wrong with that...
(Ducking and running)

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a sad state of affairs when Narcan is needed so often. I just read that 1/3 of all Americans have use opiates within the last year.

What happened that so many people need a mind altering substance to get through the day. Sure there are people that really need it but everyone that takes it thinks they need it.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
But I am curious how it is that the pharmaceutical companies are to blame for opioid addiction. Does that mean the gun and ammunition manufactures are to blame for the murder rate? I’m so confused.

NO. Not a good analogy. Purdue Pharma marketed Oxycodone as a long acting drug that was not addicting for patients in pain. They convinced Doctors of its safety and it was prescribed frequently. Prior to Oxycodone, opiates were not prescribed much at all. A few top executives went to jail as a result. Thousands of Americans are addicted to opiates, and this is the result.

For those interested in the role of Big Pharma here is the link to one story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05...ness/11drug-web.html

Yeah, I've got to go with BS on that one. Something that happened years ago might have set the stage in a small way, but it isn't responsible. Saying that somehow they are responsible is right on track with blaming guns for violence. It ignores many key factors such as the lack of desire for society to hold people responsible for their actions, the death spiral of the US mental health system, the moral decay of personal responsibility, thirty years worth of a lack of parenting, eight years of NON STOP creation of new rationalizations of why these people are victims and shouldn't be held accountable for their actions, and a broken justice system that doesn't seem interested in incarcerating people for breaking the law.

Outreach isn't the answer here. But, by God, it isn't working because we just haven't thrown enough of your money at it. Despite the fact that these people do not care about the risks they are taking, so it is money down a well. And anyone who refuses to want to spend the money on it is a monster.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why should police carry Narcan, if they don't carry epinephrine, atropine, glucagon, D50, or flumazenil?

Does the level of training needed to administered nthose drugs the same as Narcan?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post