SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asphalt drive way sealing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asphalt drive way sealing Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
My Son just bought a home with a VERY long asphalt driveway. Them driveway is in descent shape with some cracks.
The home inspector that checked the property before they bought suggested they keep on top of the surfacing in order to keep it as long as possible.
My Son asked me for suggestions on how to do this type of work, never having done this, I concede to the experts on this forum for advise I can pass on to him.
Thanks for your help!

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My advice is to hire the job out to an established local contractor. Not the traveling gypsy bands that knock on his door.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
The last time I did my driveway myself I used Rust-Oleum EPOXYShield Blacktop Coating and I have to say I'd use it again the next time. Granted I don't think I'll get the full 10 years out of it (chains on my snowblower chew it up), it was the easiest application of a blacktop sealer I've applied and seems to be holding up much better than a) the rubber based one I put on 2 years prior and b) the tar / sand mix a professional put on 2 years before that.

Prep work was really a good power washing / sweeping - let it dry. If there are oil spots, they need to be treated with a different product first. The application of Rust-Oleum Coating was pretty simple - I used a large roller. It is thinner than paint, but covers pretty well and much easier to clean up than the traditional driveway sealant (when I used that I threw away the shoes and pants after I was done).

Cracks should be filled as well - I used a Blacktop Crack Filler dispensed from a caulking gun. Kind of a rubbery caulking and that seems to be working well too.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've actually just been talking to several paving contractors regarding repaving my 600x18 driveway in a couple of years. They all agreed that seal coating is purely cosmetic and does nothing to add longevity. Crack repair is a good idea.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
To me sealing is a gimmick unless the driveway has already been coated by the previous owner. But its still cosmetic.
The cracks should be cleaned out and filled though. There's no question that it will prolong the life of the.driveway.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My advice is to hire the job out to an established local contractor. Not the traveling gypsy bands that knock on his door.

This, it's cheaper and far easier to pay a professional to do it. I'm no expert on this, but feel sealing it extends the life as it fills the tiny cracks keeping them from becoming bigger ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where you live is going to determine what needs to be done, to a large degree. Here in Maine, if the cracks are not filled, water will get there, and then freeze enlarging the crack. There are different kinds of crack sealers, depending upon the size of the crack. One thicker, which needs to be applied by something like a putty knife, or the thinner stuff that you squeeze out of the bottle. You need to decide depending upon the crack, but here the crack needs to disappear. Then you can worry about the sealer, which will cover VERY small cracks and has the added advantage of covering over the various colors and textures lying on the surface. A latex sealer works best, is easier to clean up, and will hide more (it is also more costly).

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
From what I've read the consensus from experts is that sealing is primarily cosmetic, crack repair is not. The idea is that freezing water expanding is the enemy. This was confirmed by a professional asphalt contractors association I called when doing research last time I had it done. That seems to imply that water doesn't easily penetrate and seep into sound asphalt. As always, YMMV.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've actually just been talking to several paving contractors regarding repaving my 600x18 driveway in a couple of years. They all agreed that seal coating is purely cosmetic and does nothing to add longevity. Crack repair is a good idea.

FWIW I agree, snake oil IMO. Just like roads, good pavement over a good base, with good water drainage, will last a long time.... whether sealer is periodically brushed on or not. Pavement over a poor base with poor drainage will fail quickly no matter how much sealer you apply or how often.

I have a commercial property with a 40+ year old asphalt parking lot that has *never* been sealed yet still looks good. Over the years various companies approached me promoting their various sealers which would add a few years to the lot before it required expensive repaving. I decided not to and it's still fine.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post