SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you guys like for a push lawnmower, $3-$400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys like for a push lawnmower, $3-$400 Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I used to buy and sell used power equipment.

Craigslist is your friend. You can get a MUCH better mower, gently used, for cheaper than any box box store.

$650 mower for $325
https://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/6140114584.html

$800 mower for $200
https://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/6130472842.html

Bring your son to the deal. Let him negotiate the price. Tell them it's his own money and he plans on mowing with it to gain valuable life experience.He WILL get a good deal, and the price likely lowered.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide to buy, don't buy a Murray.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
+5 or whatever for Honda. I have the same one listed above or similar after using my brother's to cut his grass. Found mine used 1yr old at a garage sale for $200. It took me a cutting or two to get used to how fast it runs.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Get one with a Honda motor. I've got a Husqvarna with a Honda motor and it's into it's going into its sixth Summer right now flawlessly.

I haven't changed the oil once (I've only added) and it sits outside, uncovered, year round in all the elements. When I've gone to fire it up every April it has always started after no more than two pulls. I can't believe it. I finally replaced the blade for the first time last month. Just checked -- I paid $289 for it on Amazon.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I haven't changed the oil once (I've only added)

Cringe. A quart of store brand motor oil is only $2.40 at Walmart. Hop to it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Juan!

{sorry, when we moved here we couldn't afford to not hire someone!}

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You'll never go wrong with a Honda.

However, several years back I picked up a Husqvarna for doing around the edges/corners of my lawn where my rider won't get into and it has been flawless. I didn't start it at all last year, so it has been sitting in the garage for nearly two years. Yesterday I dragged it out for the summer and it fired up on the second pull. Great mower and I think it was only around $250.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Toro. My current Toro has a Honda engine. Just curious, why does it have to have electric start? Both of my Toro mowers have started on the first or second pull every time. My first is 15 years old and runs great, its at my in-laws now.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
He doesn't need electric start unless the 14 year old is handicapped. I mowed my lawn since I was 7 years old, so if a 7 year old can pull start a mower, surely a 14 year old can.

posted Hide Post
"What do you guys like for a push lawnmower, $3-$400"

The one someone else is pushing. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You could always make him do it like I did when I was a kid. Wink

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
You gotta pull the cord, but it has a choke on it and ALWAYS starts on the first pull. Okay, not that time I had the spark plug disconnected, but still.

What??!??! Return it for a refund. Razz

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
+5 or whatever for Honda.

Yes. +6 or whatever for Honda.
I have had 4 of them now.

quote:
Craigslist is your friend. You can get a MUCH better mower, gently used, for cheaper than any box box store.

They run forever if you take care of them. I bought one brand new in 1996 (HRM215 GVC140) and it's still running. My daughter cleaned out the carb yesterday... so I can sell it or give it away. It ran great the last time I used it but it hasn't been used in a few years. When she took apart the carb I told her I bought that mower the same year you were born....
Since the new one in 1996 I've bought and sold a few on Craigslist. Always great deals.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I bought our Honda craftsman self propelled almost 10 years ago for 80 bucks on Craigslist. Lady was moving from a house to an apartment, needed it gone.

This thing still fires up on the first pull every time. It sold me on Honda engines. I bought a Honda snow blower a few years ago. Only been able to use it one winter, but it was great.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
She ended up with a Toro. I told her Toro or Honda. The Toro had the features they wanted. My son wanted electric start because he is used to a crappy mower that doesn't start easily. Probably not needed but he likes it a lot. Thanks for all the tips.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You did good. The Toro's have an aluminum deck that won't rust out like the steel decks. Nothing like getting grass blown throw the holes into your face while mowing. Frown

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
She ended up with a Toro. I told her Toro or Honda. The Toro had the features they wanted. My son wanted electric start because he is used to a crappy mower that doesn't start easily. Probably not needed but he likes it a lot. Thanks for all the tips.

A preacher sees a kid mowing lawns & wants to trade a newer bike for the mower, as he needs the mower for his parsonage. The kid says sure & the trade is made. A week later the preacher sees the kid ride by & says," hey, I keep pulling on the mower & it won't start"

The kid replies, " you're not using the right cuss words!" The preacher snaps back,"son, I have not cussed in 30 years!"

To which the kids says, " keep pulling on it & you will,"

Gustofer you brought back memories! My dad even showed me how to use a file! Oh, those were the greatest days!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You did good. The Toro's have an aluminum deck Frown

Only the more expensive Super Recycler model has an aluminum deck. The cheaper Recycler models are steel deck.