SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you guys like for a push lawnmower, $3-$400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys like for a push lawnmower, $3-$400 Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My ex has to get a new mower for my 14 year old son to use. It has to be electric start, self propelled, bag and mulch.

There are lots out there. Any recommendations?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I like my Honda. SHE just has to read the manual and keep the drive-actuating cable adjusted or it will snap. Then it acts like a normal push mower but a little heavier. The procedure to check it may be a bit above a 14-y.o.

One light pull and it starts right up. Electric start on a push mower? Never heard of it and doubt it would be found in a 3-400 dollar unit. Seems excessive to me but...

Eta My machine was on clearance at $289 brand new. I don't know how much a retail new one is, so some searching may be necessary.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Toro, Yard Machines.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
I like my Honda. SHE just has to read the manual and keep the drive-actuating cable adjusted or it will snap. Then it acts like a normal push mower but a little heavier. The procedure to check it may be a bit above a 14-y.o.

One light pull and it starts right up. Electric start on a push mower? Never heard of it and doubt it would be found in a 3-400 dollar unit. Seems excessive to me but...

Eta My machine was on clearance at $289 brand new. I don't know how much a retail new one is, so some searching may be necessary.

Thanks. There are tons of push mowers with electric start in most price ranges.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Toro.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Many commercial guys that don't want to spend 800-1000 for a true commercial 21" use this $400 Honda.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hon...RR216K9VKA/203709643

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
This one is what we are considering now. Has all the features he wants. I like Toro. Had a Toro snow blower for 14 years and it's still going strong.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tor...gine-20334/100659631

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I got one from Lowe's with a Honda engine several years ago for 300 bucks that works great. You gotta pull the cord, but it has a choke on it and ALWAYS starts on the first pull. Okay, not that time I had the spark plug disconnected, but still. Air filters are about 2 bucks apiece on Amazon, the oil is easy to change, and there's a thing on it you hook a hose too and clean the underside of the deck off easily.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snapper!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Many commercial guys that don't want to spend 800-1000 for a true commercial 21" use this $400 Honda.

I have a model or two above that one, looks very close. Works great, I love it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

I bought this one is Oct 2015. Works fine.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought Honda from a local shop -$400 and assembled. Self propelled and starts every time. I preferred to give the little guys my money

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
On the Toro for $400 I see 2 options, one has all wheel drive and no electric start. The other is rear wheel drive with electric. I'm thinking it may be better to talk her into the all wheel drive since it's a bumpy crappy lawn to mow. Thoughts? Does all wheel drive really improve movement on a crappy lawn?

These go to eleven.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
How big an area needs to be mowed?

This is mine. Electric start... because it's ALL electric. Mulch or bag. No self propulsion, but with the lighter weight and the huge wheels it's easy to push. And only $125 (less than when I bought mine last year). Yeah, you need a cord, but your 14 YO won't need to mess with gas and oil.
I love that all four wheels height adjust by moving a single lever.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZVOLXE/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Wow...that's cool they have electric start now. I've never seen it.

I would think that you'd likely want to stick with RWD, 4wd gives more things (drive belts,pulleys) to break and more things that would require adjustment.

Is it hilly or just bumpy? My Honda (RWD) is great, but it likes to dig in going uphill- sometimes creating divots. It's probably the one beef I have with it. Front drive wheels may help in that situation.

I'm still floored with electric start though Big Grin I'm so out of touch.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a self propelled Sears Craftsman, 6/34 hp Brigs...pull start on 1st or second time. Going on 7 summers. Front wheel drive, I like that better than rear wheel drive.

Easy to service & maintain. Good learning experience for your young son. Intro into small engines. The young man will just need guidance.

Good luck.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Definitely too big a lawn for a corded mower. It's very bumpy but not hilly. So maybe the rear wheel drive is the better option.

These go to eleven.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Definitely too big a lawn for a corded mower. It's very bumpy but not hilly. So maybe the rear wheel drive is the better option.

I would say so. The AWD mowers I've experienced have been way more hassle than they're worth. Unless it's super hilly no need for it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
+1 for Honda

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with our Honda. Starts very easy w/o electric start.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post