SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter & Archery - Interview with the Armless Archer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter & Archery - Interview with the Armless Archer Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
My daughter is so over the top with joy right now. I'm hearing her down the hallway in the room having a phone conversation with her best friend repeatedly squealing, "I just interviewed Matt FREAKIN' Stutzman!"

She has a class assignment to do a PowerPoint presentation on a famous person or athlete. She chose Matt Stutzman known as the Armless Archer. For those who don't know Matt was born without arms and competes as an archer. The man has numerous accomplishments making the US Paralympic Team multiple times, winning the silver medal in the paralympics, world's record for the longest aimed shot with a bow and now competes as an able bodied archer. Competes is an understatement, he took 1st in this year's US Open.

One of my daughter's questions was, "What would you say to those who suffer from a low self esteem that struggle with their mental game?" His response, "I've got no arms, what's your excuse?"

One of the reasons I'm happy my daughter's involved in archery. I know of no other sport where the top athletes make themselves so available. I'm thankful to Matt for taking the time to do this and thankful to him for being an inspiration.

12 minute HBO Real Sports piece on Matt Stutzman. It's also very cool in that it shows the Vegas Shoot which my daughter competes in every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFMxzyuYoZw

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I've got no arms, what's your excuse?"

Thank-you!

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
So cool to read this. I always look forward to reading your posts about her progress and growth in the sport.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
One of the reasons I'm happy my daughter's involved in archery. I know of no other sport where the top athletes make themselves so available. I'm thankful to Matt for taking the time to do this and thankful to him for being an inspiration.

Excellent!!
This guy is an inspiration no matter what hobby or line of work you are involved in. Smile

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very cool, inspirational story.

PM inbound.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post