SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airbus is going to offer planes that allow people to sleep down in the cargo area.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airbus is going to offer planes that allow people to sleep down in the cargo area. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ps-in-the-cargo-hold

Airbus to Offer Naps in the Cargo Hold

Planemaker working with seat manufacturer Zodiac on concept
It won’t be a room with a view, but may help prevent neck strain. Passengers flying on Airbus SE planes will soon be able to slip down into the cargo hold for a proper nap.

The European jetmaker is working with seat manufacturer Zodiac Aerospace on the design and construction of lie-flat beds to fit in lower-deck cargo areas. The berths will initially be offered on Airbus A330 widebody aircraft from 2020, the companies said Tuesday at a conference in Hamburg.

The idea for specially-designated sleeping areas on planes was also raised last month by Qantas Airways Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce, who said the airline is studying options for making ultra-long haul flights more bearable for passengers. Qantas is exploring direct links from Australia to the U.S. and Europe that would require travelers spend as many as 17 consecutive hours in flight. Joyce said the airline could introduce a new four-class structure, with part of the cargo hold utilized for beds.

Under Airbus’s plan, the sleeping berths would be installed as modules that could be quickly replaced with regular cargo fittings during an aircraft’s typical airport turnaround. Holds have in the past been designed as cabin crew rest areas and for religious facilities.

Airlines will be able to retrofit old planes with the modules or build them into aircraft coming off the production line, according to the manufacturer. Airbus is also studying the possibility of offering similar sleeper compartments on its A350 airliner.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well that will make joining the mile high club a lot more comfortable....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
That would make long flights bearable. Where do I sign up?

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
As someone who can't sleep sitting up (wide awake on flights to/from Europe), I'd love this. Of course, they're going to cost a ton of money to book.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
As someone that goes to Taiwan every year, I would love this! The 12-14 hour flight is brutal even with status.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Stock in the Pullman Company skyrockets!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
As someone who can't sleep sitting up (wide awake on flights to/from Europe), I'd love this. Of course, they're going to cost a ton of money to book.

I'll book myself as baggage. Either way I'm all for that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
On many long-haul Boeings, crews already have sleeping quarters below deck.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Are they going to increase the price of checked baggage due to the reduction in available cargo space? I like the concept, but there's a trade off there. It's not like there's a ton of empty space under the plane right now.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
On many long-haul Boeings, crews already have sleeping quarters below deck.

Crews are required to have adequate rest areas for extended flight operations, bearing in mind that our long days are typically 30 hours duty.

Of course, my present operator just removed all the bunks and replaced them with business seats. They just barely qualify per the FAA.

There's no reason that lower cargo spaces can't be used as occupied structure; it's the same pressurization and in many cases, they feature a wider available temperature range. The problem for the airline is that cargo space is usually at a premium, which is to say that people tend to haul a lot of crap...especially on long flights. Additionally, most airlines also have mail contracts and other contracts to fill any additional space with mail. The first point to point revenue flights in the world hauled mail, and it's still more profitable than the people. To offset that loss if berths or bunks are provided, the tickets will have to be sold at a high enough price point to make up for lost revenue and cargo space.

From a practical point, I wouldn't want to be down there in an emergency, or to have to initiate an egress from there, or be there in severe turbulence or other circumstance. If I'm not up going to the lav, then I'm strapped in with shoes on. I do a lot of long-haul flying, and even when bunks have been available, I've never used them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Can you double bunk with the girlfriend or significant other? Big Grin

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Stack 'em and rack 'em.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Business Class and First Class already provide the ability to lie down in most flights, and they are very expensive seats. I don't see how this new facility would be less expensive than those elite features.

On my last trip to Australia I almost booked a Business Class seat for the 16-hour flight--at the time I was considering it the round trip would have been just over $7000; however, the next day, when I had decided I could afford it, the price had bloomed to over $10,000 and that was more than the 3-week tour was costing, so I just suffered with coach (I did spring for "Comfort Coach", though, which had a little more space).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You can stack 2 or 3 people up in a laying position on a bunk in the same space it takes for one person to lay down in a business class seat.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tubes, man, tubes. Every passenger is loaded into their own tube, then the tubes are racked and stacked and off we go.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DC-10 (or maybe it was L-1011) had a galley on the lower deck in what I assume was the cargo area. About 20 years ago I was flying with our daughter (age 8 at the time) and the very nice cabin crew let us go down there (I think we took an alevator) to check out the "kitchen."

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Stupid idea.
How is this better than a 787 Buisness Class which is very private and lays flat?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Stupid idea.
How is this better than a 787 Buisness Class which is very private and lays flat?

Because you can bunk people above you. You can't bunk people above a chair that sits up. You can fit 2x or 3x more people laying flat in racked bunks than in chairs that recline.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well that will make joining the mile high club a lot more comfortable....

The whole deck will smell like Thai food...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post