SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new GPS Mapper for the car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new GPS Mapper for the car Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
Have an older Tom Tom but it has lost it's mind! And is untrustworthy. I do not use a smart phone so that's out. Just want a basic tell me where I am and how best to get where I'm going for out of town trips. I have tried updating my current model but I can't trust it. Also which units pick up the satellite signals better? It would be nice "I think" if there was one that used cell phone towers for signals if there is such a item.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Garmin seems to be the leader in GPS devices.

They offer a lot of models. Many also offer free lifetime map updates. I would check Amazon for reviews within your price range and pick one. I've owned a couple of them and they work about the same for non-commercial versions. Depends on your budget and desired screen size.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I used to use google maps which worked well for me but I picked up a Garmin NUVI 52 to use when I started traveling more for work.

I like the Garmin much better then google maps and I think it is more accurate. The interface it simple and straight forward and the nav display is excellent. I can swap it between vehicles, and it frees up my phone to do phone stuff.

For the privacy concerned,I can keep addresses stored and the information is stored locally on the device or backed up to my computer, with google you have to sign in and give google your info.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have a model similar to this that I use daily for work. Easy to use and the lifetime maps and traffic are nice. Make sure the model number has "LMT" as part of that and you'll get the free updates and traffic.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I use Garmin. I bought one for when I go to other places and I don't want to rent their GPS unit. I don't think you want one that uses cell phone towers as that won't give you 100% coverage where there is no phone coverage.

Satellites are always in the sky beaming down as far as GPS goes. Mine is about 5 years old, I'm sure they have better models now. Mine can be battery operated or plugged in, picks up traffic information also, and can be updated.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For standalone GPS, Garmin anything is the only brand I'd spend money on.

That said, for driving navigation, Waze is all I've used for several years now. Can't beat the crowd-sourced updating and it means one fewer gadget cluttering up my dash/windshield.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Get a Garmin. They are the industry leader.

If it has "LM" in the model number, you get free map updates for life. If it has "T" in the model number, it has a traffic receiver so it will download real time traffic updates when you are in the city, in which case it could reroute you around traffic jams or take you on less condensed routes to save time.

The certified refurbished ones will save you about $40 or so. I've bought two of them and found them to be trash. The screen was not calibrated so you had to click two inches away from where you actually wanted to click. Hense the reason why someone sent them back for repair. I'd bypass the certified refurbished ones and just buy a new one.

Check Amazon.com, they have several at decent prices.

The Garmin Drive units seem to be the latest models.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-.../ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I've used Garmin for years. They are pretty good, but seem to be biased toward taking you down some pretty sketchy routes to save 15 feet or 3 minutes.

Ran my iPhone parallel with the Garmin on a 4000 mile vacation this spring. Garmin never came up with a better route. I believe iPhone uses Tom Tom.
I'll be looking at Rand McNally it'll be my next unit I think.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Get a Garmin. They are the industry leader.

If it has "LM" in the model number, you get free map updates for life. If it has "T" in the model number, it has a traffic receiver so it will download real time traffic updates when you are in the city, in which case it could reroute you around traffic jams or take you on less condensed routes to save time.

The certified refurbished ones will save you about $40 or so. I've bought two of them and found them to be trash. The screen was not calibrated so you had to click two inches away from where you actually wanted to click. Hense the reason why someone sent them back for repair. I'd bypass the certified refurbished ones and just buy a new one.

Check Amazon.com, they have several at decent prices.

The Garmin Drive units seem to be the latest models.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-.../ref=dp_ob_title_wld

I have an LMT model; one of the first things I did - turned off the traffic alert option.

Also, mine does not like it when a finger is used for the touch screen. Just doesn't seem to recognize the touch. It does like it a fingernail (think a guy's length) and even then it can be frustrating.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like a Garmin I will go!

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have had an old Garmin 7220 for years now in my truck and it works great.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post