SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
This video touches on the flooding, but it's more about the deteriorating relationship between the CCP and the US.
The release of the simulation is interesting.

Three Gorges Dam Collapse Simulation Goes Viral; China Retaliates on US Consulate;Slave-Free Company

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an article that doesn't really provide any new info, but does have a couple nice overhead shots of 3 Gorges Dam & a second smaller one 16 miles downstream as jaaron 11 was referring to earlier.

The city of Yichang is adjacent to the smaller downstream dam(Gezhouba). Yichang has been flooded pretty heavily this season, Wuhan is even further downstream from Yichang.

https://scitechdaily.com/exces...er-dams-spill-water/

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s a snapshot of the current weather situation. It sure appears like a Texas sized storm is headed their way. The dam is situated in the upper right hand corner of the pic near the city of Zigui. Should make for an interesting next few days regarding the dam.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is a link: https://www.accuweather.com/en/cn/national/satellite

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A poster translated some of the video simulation of the dam rupturing and has a list of downstream cities & population affected - worst case.

quote:
For those that need translation, in a nutshell, this is who the dam break would most affect:

Tongling 1.6 million,
Wuhu 3.69 million,
Ma'anshan 2.26 million,
Nanjing 8.43 million,
Yichang 4.13 million,
Jingzhou 6.37 million,
Yueyang 5.93 million,
Xianning 2.53 million,
Wuhan 11.2 million,
Xiaogan 4.87 million,
Huanggang 6.33 million,
‘Ezhou 1 million,
Huangshi 2.45 million,
Jiujiang 4.89 million,
‘Anqing 4.58 million,
Chizhou 1.43 million

<><

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Those numbers are incredible....and sad.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's one of those things where it's on such a massive scale that it's really hard to comprehend. Have they done any evacuations at all? I know that's a lot of people to move but I feel like there's been enough time to at least try something.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I've both heard the horror stories and seen news of U.S. cities trying to evacuate during hurricanes. The number of Chinese citizens in the path of this thing + the speed of which it could occur is frightening.

Found a paper on the dam construction from Science Direct

https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S2095809916311687

Very heavy rains expected in during next Wed-Fri, the second phase of severe weather was what caused the deformation, if the weathers rolls in as bad as expected they will cite that as phase 3.

Edit: the Science Direct site is opening super slow - I have a pdf of the article if it cant be retrieved - can share by email

<><

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
There's a good article by Dennis Wong with some excellent graphics published today at South China Morning Post,

https://multimedia.scmp.com/in...na-floods/index.html

that does a nice job of illustrating what has happened and its effects on China. Here's a brief intro, with more of the story and images at the link above:

China’s worst floods in decades
By Dennis Wong
Published July 27, 2020

Heavy rains are putting the Yangtze River at risk of repeating the devastating floods of 1998 which left more than 4,000 people dead and 14 million homeless. The latest natural disaster comes in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic and an escalating trade war with the US.

The Yangtze River is the longest river in Asia and China’s most important waterway, with some 175 cities located near its banks. As well as being home to a number of multinational companies, the prosperous Yangtze River Basin is a powerhouse of industrial output, generating nearly half of the country’s GDP.

High-risk flood regions
The middle and lower reaches of the river are vulnerable to flooding, spilling over their banks every summer. By contrast, the upper river basin flows through mountainous regions and the steep slope of the riverbed makes it far less prone to floods.

Floods large enough to overflow the dykes have caused several disasters in the past. Discounting famines and pandemics, the 1931 Central China floods are generally considered the deadliest natural disaster of the 20th century. More than 140,000 people drowned with at least 3.7 million dying over the nine months that followed.

Until the Three Gorges Dam project was completed in 2009, provinces along the river mainly relied on reinforced embankments, reservoirs and floodwater storage areas to control flooding.

Less than 20 years after the dam’s completion, China is experiencing its worst floods in decades, raising questions about the dam’s efficacy and whether the massive structure itself is at risk after weeks of devastating floods since June.

Article continues at link above.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The article above included a graphic with this info:
Area of reservoir, stretching from the dam to Chongqing
Capacity: 39.3 billion cubic metres
Length: 660km
The top of the dam: 185m above sea level
Maximum reservoir water level: 175m above sea level

But it didn't say how high the water was or had been at the dam.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
It says it right below the graphic:

quote:
On July 2, the Yangtze River experienced its first flood peak of the year. The Changjiang Water Resources Commission reported the water level had reached 146.97 metres with peak inflows of 53,000 cubic metres per second, the same rate as the 1998 floods.

But my guess it's even higher than that now.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dennis Wong article is very good, lots of great detail.

The reports I saw yesterday put levels at >160

quote:
Interesting developments 3 gorges dam

TGD currently showing 161.43 meter water level, still increasing substantially. Discharge still limited to 38.6 m3/s

9:30 AM · Jul 27, 2020

<><

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ OK.
So it's still at least 10 meters below what they call Maximum.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
I looked again, should've included an earlier update from this morning - seems levels are rising a bit. Re-posting to clarify my last post. Agreed that its still below what they consider Max.

Distracted atm, sorry. Red Face

quote:
Got some new numbers, 6cm rise to 160.91, discharge increased to 38.7k, spillway opened appx 1.5 hours ago confirmed

ThreeGorgesDam

7:33 AM · Jul 27, 2020

- - - -

Interesting developments 3 gorges dam

TGD currently showing 161.43 meter water level, still increasing substantially. Discharge still limited to 38.6 m3/s

9:30 AM · Jul 27, 2020

<><

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
an old buddy is living and working in Singapore. He sends this 16:00 video current update of the flood status. There is one advertisement into the video about the 4:00 mark or so, I just skipped past it.

More detailed with maps, photos & graphics than I've seen.

https://phibetaiota.net/2020/0...d-grain-supply-1016/

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And locusts are now following the floods in from west to east?

If the people and government of the PRC haven't figured out that Mother Nature's given them fair warning to pick up and shift, then I don't know what it'll take. Where will they go? Over the next two tallest ridgelines to the north or south, whatever is or isn't there. Hell, they're bound to still have a few ghost cities that the flooding won't reach; maybe they can finally populate the durn things.

In the shorter term, though, it's gonna be interesting to see how Xi and his cronies take Trump's insistence that the doesn't want a China Trade deal as badly anymore. The US and Canada are the logical sources for the crop foods China needs; they can be bought elsewhere but if people know China's frozen out of buying in North America then the prices China will pay for grain will be up in nosebleed territory for at least a couple of years.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
In the shorter term, though, it's gonna be interesting to see how Xi and his cronies take Trump's insistence that the doesn't want a China Trade deal as badly anymore. The US and Canada are the logical sources for the crop foods China needs; they can be bought elsewhere but if people know China's frozen out of buying in North America then the prices China will pay for grain will be up in nosebleed territory for at least a couple of years.

I don't see how that matters really as it's a global grain market. If they buy from South America instead of us for example, whoever WAS going to buy from South America will essentially buy from us instead.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The flooding cuts that portion of the demand that would be met in the PRC; that demand then has to be satisfied elsewhere. If the PRC has fewer markets it can buy in, then it'll pay more because only a fraction of the global market is open to it. If that fraction of the global market that China cannot buy from just happens to have the efficiency that farmers have in North America, then the PRC's buying at the highest rate from the least efficient producers which not only increases costs but restricts the supply available to them. Others may be able to buy more cheaply but China will pay more for lower quality grain - which will definitely have an effect on China.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Regarding the elevation of water retained at Three Gorges, an article I saw over the weekend said that the water level had actually dropped a few meters (6, I think) since the peak following Flood No. 2 since the floodgates have been kept open at their maximum flow. With what appears to be Flood No. 3 now dumping water upstream, it was expected to start rising again, which may be reflected in Dennis Wong’s report.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aye, levels currently reported at 161.99 so its climbing a little bit today alone, as StarTraveler noted, the new rain is gonna be the real test. Predictions of 40 inches Wed-Fri in Chengdu, upstream.

<><