SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I didn't click on the video, just saw that the damn failed in the title on the video. I am sorry for that. I did not read or see that many people died as I didn't see the video. I'm sorry for saying something offensive.

But here, cooties meant germs when I was growing up. Don't touch that, it has cooties.

Here is the definition I've found on the internet, I have personally never heard cooties refer to lice. I always heard it to mean germs/parasites growing up as a kid:

"cootie1or coot·y[ koo-tee ]SHOW IPA
noun plural coot·ies. Informal.
a louse, especially one affecting humans, as the body louse, head louse, or pubic louse.
a child's term for an imaginary germ or disease that one can catch by touching a person who is disliked or socially avoided:
The girls at camp thought the boys had cooties."

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/cooties

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't want to hear your explanations and I damn sure don't want to hear you say that you're posting in threads without knowing the details. I'd ask you just what in the Hell you're doing posting in thread where you don't have the attention span to comprehend the subject but that means you'd try to explain something you shouldn't be doing in the first place in this forum.

You wanna post in a thread? Then, read the damn thing, and as you're going through it, pay particular attention to the tone of my posts. I made one post before you, all of three words, but that should have been sufficient for you to understand that you had better watch what you say in this thread.

I don't want you to post any further in this thread.

Posts: 107493 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I don't want to hear your explanations and I damn sure don't want to hear you say that you're posting in threads without knowing the details. I'd ask you just what in the Hell you're doing posting in thread where you don't have the attention span to comprehend the subject but that means you'd try to explain something you shouldn't be doing in the first place in this forum.

You wanna post in a thread? Then, read the damn thing, and as you're going through it, pay particular attention to the tone of my posts. I made one post before you, all of three words, but that should have been sufficient for you to understand that you had better watch what you say in this thread.

I don't want you to post any further in this thread.

OK.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Were you dropped on your head as a child? What's the last line of that quote, jimmy? Do you have reading comprehension issues?

I just finished telling you to READ threads and then I said DO NOT POST AGAIN IN THIS THREAD, and what do you do? You posted AGAIN.

Moderated Status for one day, jimmy, to get my point across to you, because as sure as I'm sitting here, you'd post in this thread AGAIN.

Goddamn, man. Snap out of it. Read and COMPREHEND my words.

posted Hide Post
What would the impact of the damn in China failing be?

Social
Financial
Environmental
Global

Any RKI on the site?

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Horrible state of affairs, couldn't imagine the fear living there or near that dam.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
Any RKI on the site?
I feel like I'm pretty savvy on web acronyms. If you use one I don't know, that means more than a few of the other members don't know it, either.

Let's please use plain English. What is "RKI"?

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Considering that more people live in densely populated areas downstream of that damn than live in the entire US, the impacts would be huge.

Production of goods in and around that area would completely halt. I don't know what is made around there, but I've gotta figure it's more than a few things we'd notice no longer being produced.

The human loss of life would be massive I have to figure. Long story short, it's nauseating to even consider what could happen to those people.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:

Considering that more people live in densely populated areas downstream of that damn than live in the entire US, the impacts would be huge.

Production of goods in and around that area would completely halt. I don't know what is made around there, but I've gotta figure it's more than a few things we'd notice no longer being produced.

The human loss of life would be massive I have to figure. Long story short, it's nauseating to even consider what could happen to those people.

Over 400 million people live (as in homes) within 2 meter height of nominal flood stage for the Yangtze River. That includes cities of Shanghai, Nanjing, Wuhan and Yangtze. I would not wish that on anyone.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Those videos look really bad.

The one of the dam shifting seems to indicate it's only a matter of time.

The video of the flooding occurring from all the gates being open seems like it's as bad as if the dam failed completely.

It looks as though the death toll will be staggering based on all the stuff being wiped out.

The dam video states 400 million people live downstream. 400 million. PEOPLE.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Social
Financial
Environmental
Global

Any RKI on the site?

Consider the major cities down river: Wuhan (11 mil), Nanjing (8.5 mil) and Shanghai (34 mil), just those population numbers alone are crazy and those don't include the surrounding countryside. Shanghai would be like New Orleans, a port city at the mouth of the river as it enters the sea; Shanghai while robust in its own right, is working to supplant Hong Kong as the international financial-trade center of the country. Export goods production will likely be affected but, not sure how much of that applies to us here, the area around the dam is Hubei which is a major food production center for domestic consumption.

What American's are familiar with (food & language (Cantonese)), is the southern region of Guangzhou (Canton) which is the massive production heart of the country (Hong Kong and Macau sit right off the coast), it's where most of the Chinese immigrants who came to the US originated from. All the regions from Shanghai and Westward is in the central part of the country.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so people have a better understanding of water flow - the emergency water discharge from the dam (per second) is 25x more than what flows over the Niagara Falls (per second).

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yikes. This would be unbelievably bad if the dam failed. Too bad we’ll never get a truthful report on the actual risk or current status from their state run media. We’ll know if it fails, though.

RKI: Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual (I think)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one of the dam shifting seems to indicate it's only a matter of time.

Does anyone know of any analysis done based on high res satellite photos? I'd love to read it.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you look at it on Google maps it does look out of shape, I’m no expert but I can’t imagine a structure so big bending like that.

Maybe it is a image glitch.

Ok, I looked again , there are also some structures to the left standing on land wich also seem crooked, so it probably just a crappy sat image.

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any RKI on the site?

Believe that's Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual, but without the Google I'd have had NFC.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That is tragic.

I despise the Chicomm government, but I feel sorry for the people of China, trapped in a country with an oppressive government.

I despise the North Korean government, but I feel sorry for the people of North Korea, trapped in a country with an oppressive government.

Heck, even at the height of the Cold War, I despised the Soviet govt, yet felt sympathy and empathy for the people under Soviet control.

Making light of this in any way is simply heartless, IMO. The ones who suffer and die won't be the government officials; it will be the helpless people of China, and we all know it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLGUY:
If you look at it on Google maps it does look out of shape, I’m no expert but I can’t imagine a structure so big bending like that.

Maybe it is a image glitch.

Ok, I looked again , there are also some structures to the left standing on land wich also seem crooked, so it probably just a crappy sat image.

It's a very crappy sat image. If the degree of displacement was as great as it appeared in those images, the latest photos and videos of the dam wouldn't show it so linear.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
"he emergency water discharge from the dam (per second) is 25x more than what flows over the Niagara Falls (per second)."

As one of those that has stood alongside Niagra Falls the amount of water there defies human comprehension. 25x that is truly massive.

I would think that the complete failure of this dam, and subsequent funding, would be a level of national catastrophe so drastic that the country would turn inside, eschewing the outside world for nearly a generation as it sorts the repercussions out. Maybe I'm wrong (probably), but this would be a crippling event.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Holy carp, those people are in a serious world of hurt and devastation.

It is amazing how (if true) the government is not getting the word out to save its own citizens.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post