SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Discrediting the info that video because of The Epoch Times ties to Falun Gong is like discrediting a serious story in the Washington Times because of their ties to the Moonies. Who cares about their political or religious ties? Show me where the story is flawed, where the facts are cooked (or covered) up. You're never, ever going to see a Chinese government-sanctioned news outlet criticize anything the gov't. doesn't want criticized. Sure, they may eventually pick out a few politicians and engineers to make examples out of, when the story behind the dam's build quality is no longer deniable. But that's only going to happen because outlets like The Epoch Times get the story out and get people talking about it. You may not notice them if you don't read Mandarin (I don't). But Epoch Times has free Chinese-only newspapers in most Chinese restaurants and Asian grocery stores in the US. So it's one way to expose the lies and corruption of the CCP to the Mandarin speakers in the US, who obviously have a lot of access to other sources to verify what they read. And there are more Mandarin-only chat boards than you can imagine in the US. This stuff gets discussed there, where the CCP can't control anything. Every day Mrs. Lee asks me if I heard this or that story yet, always about Chinese-related stuff mentioned in US news outlets a day or two earlier, but that she only sees on the Mandarin language chat boards, because she doesn't pay attention to US news. Anyway, point is that, origins or religious agenda notwithstanding, The Epoch Times provides a valuable service.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very hard to read Mr. Lee. A link would be helpful.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Every square inch of the dam face at 500 ft depth is seeing 2181.4 lb of load.
But that square inch that is two inches from the top is still only seeing 14.77 lb of load.

So what you are saying is that the majority of the pressure is at or near the bottom?
And when the water level rises, there's a lot more pressure at the bottom?
So if there is a breach, it's likely to be near the bottom?

You’ve experienced it personally no doubt. 10 feet deep in the pool feels the same as 10 feet deep in the ocean. It’s not like crush depth is only five feet deep in the ocean because there’s more water there. The dam is subject to the same forces.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

What's hard to read? A link to what?

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Most people find a post with a lot of writing or run-on sentences to be easier to read if paragraphs or line breaks are used. Believe that is what they refer to.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
The video itself comes from a "news" source calling themselves Epoch Times, who are apparently the unofficial mouthpiece of a weird alien-believing possible cult who came here from China.

What's confusing about that?

Do sources not matter to you?

I find it sketchy, to say the least.

Take a look at some of The Epoch Times reporting. They are doing a better job at journalism than most other companies in America. Take a look at this interview 46and2 and then tell me which news organizations in America are even coming close to quality and depth of The Epoch Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...PcQ&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pretty high regard for Dennis Prager, he writes an op page for Epoch Times, no-one's infallible but the fact he's at least marginally involved with the org is good for me.

Finding any real news about stuff in China (3 Gorges Dam in particular) is tough since everything is throttled so strongly by CCP.

<><

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I missed it when the thread turned from urgent situation in China to debating alien newspaper theories.

Can we get back on track?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Yikes. How much of China's areable farmland lies in the path of this potential epic catastrophe?

Just happened to see this in China's Three Gorges Dam Buckles As Country Battles Floods Andrew Frew McMillan, Real Money, 7/22/20 at http://realmoney.thestreet.com...tles-floods-15379139 :
quote:

This is flood season in this part of China. Nevertheless, the floods in 2020 have surpassed those in 2016 in terms of volume and promise to challenge or even exceed those in 1998 for damage. That would knock 0.2 percentage points off China's economic growth in the third quarter, according to Nomura's math (sic)

More than half the hit comes from disrupted industry and the rest from flooded-out farmers. Manufacturing investment will need to be deferred, construction that involves work outside has to be put off, and the cargo volumes flowing up and down the Yangtze are disrupted.

The 1998 floods hurt 14% of China's entire crop production at the time. The less-severe flooding in 2916 was aided by better flood control due to the Three Gorges Dam, harming only 3% of total farm crops. The seven prefectures currently experiencing the heaviest flooding amount to 29% of China's current agricultural sector, so the farming impact could be huge. Meat and vegetables are already harder to come by, particularly pork, because those provinces produce one-third of China's pig products.

As for why they blew up the dam:
quote:

There is plenty of coverage every time Chinese authorities are forced to release storm water. Most dramatically, a dam on the Chu river in Anhui Province was blown up with explosives on Sunday morning to relieve the flooding behind the dam. The water was due to be channeled into holding ponds on a flood plain.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

My apologies, I was very tired from a long day(s) at work... my comprehension was lacking to say the least. Sorry.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Whatever, dudes. All of you... You miss the point entirely.

(shrug)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Nikkei is a source that 46and2 would find acceptable... but it's hidden behind a pay wall.
Current info is hard to find.

Anxiety grows as water level in Three Gorges Dam increases

Chinese officials reassure public as torrential downpours continue

SHANGHAI -- The relentless rains pummeling central and southern China have lifted water levels at the Three Gorges Dam, fueling concerns of much wider flood damage.

To continue reading, subscribe today
https://asia.nikkei.com/Econom...Gorges-Dam-increases

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24103 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

(shrug)
Yeah, that's the problem. It's not that you have derailed this thread with this nonsense and continue to do so.

I have to say that I find your response to my objections and those of some of your fellow forum members astonishing, genuinely astonishing. Is your pride so great that you can't bring yourself to acknowlege my wishes? Could I have made it any clearer to you that this stuff you've interjected into this thread is unwelcome?

The subject of this thread is about an impending disaster, the likely failure of a huge hydroelectric dam in China, yet you managed to work in Trump, Qanon, cultists and space aliens, and you want to tell us that we have missed the point? Just what exactly is your problem?

Since you posted that crap, this thread has turned into a debate about your post. You have derailed this thead, when I had earlier, clearly stated that this thread should have a serious tone and remain on track- no jokes, nothing.

WHY are you behaving this way?

Since this thread has become about you, I think you owe the forum an explanation. Forget about your rationale for posting that incredibly silly shit which started the derailment. WHY are you persisting with this shit? Acting as if it's not you who derailed the thread, it's just that EVERYONE ELSE is too dense to get your fabulous fucking insights.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

(shrug)

There's a saying that goes something like "If everyone around you seems like an asshole, it might just be you're the asshole."

But, further: This is the second time in recent memory where you've walked in, shit on a thread, been cautioned by Para, and copped the same attitude: "I'm right and you're wrong but whatever." Seems unwise

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know when the next influx of water is supposed to get down to the Three Gorges Dam? I was reading this AM that it’s been raining upstream for days still and isn’t expected to let up at all for a couple more days.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Does anyone know when the next influx of water is supposed to get down to the Three Gorges Dam? I was reading this AM that it’s been raining upstream for days still and isn’t expected to let up at all for a couple more days.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more about this from U.S. and European agencies. Certainly they can see what's going on and have a take on it.

Given China's economic influence on the rest of the world, second probably only to the US', whatever happens is bound to have a global impact.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There was a video earlier in this thread, that spoke of famine and food production in China. It’s easy to corroborate the claims and events mentioned, and should be watched by everyone.

Aside from the flooding issues, the drought and damaging hail have caused great damage to Chinas crops this year and, more importantly, the sheer nature of communism has worked so totally against the humans living there, the Chinese people are in for some seriously hard times.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I know next to nothing about FLG or Buddhism either for that matter. But there are millions and millions of people over there whose lives are at serious risk through no fault of their own.

Though I detest the CCP, I am keeping these people in my prayers and ask you to do the same.

Simply terrible, terrible situation.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I know next to nothing about FLG or Buddhism either for that matter. But there are millions and millions of people over there whose lives are at serious risk through no fault of their own.

Though I detest the CCP, I am keeping these people in my prayers and ask you to do the same.

Simply terrible, terrible situation.

+1

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Report out from Taiwan News, links to a video produced by a Chinese company - CGI rendering of 3 Gorges Dam break / path of water & worst-case scenario toll of cities downstream.

(CGI video is at the bottom of the article)

quote:
Next, the flood is predicted to head east and be further diminished after it hits Hong Lake, which is 700 km from the dam. The video then predicts that 10 hours after the mammoth dam collapses, the city of Wuhan will bear the brunt of the flood.

It is estimated that when the floodwaters arrive in Wuhan they will be 7 m in height. Although some urban areas of the city on high ground will be spared, other parts will be submerged under 5 m of floodwaters.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3973169

<><