SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I clicked your link...

Is Falun Gong a cult?
January, 2009

Am I missing something? I thought this thread was about flooding in China?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The video itself comes from a "news" source calling themselves Epoch Times, who are apparently the unofficial mouthpiece of a weird alien-believing possible cult who came here from China.

What's confusing about that?

Do sources not matter to you?

I find it sketchy, to say the least.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Chinese political officials have acknowledged some physical damage to the dam's structure. That would appear to overcome the "there's no problem" narrative.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
The video itself comes from a "news" source

I think he's asking you "What video are you talking about?" There is no video in your last two posts.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The video itself comes from a "news" source calling themselves Epoch Times, who are apparently the unofficial mouthpiece of a weird alien-believing possible cult who came here from China.

OK, I went back to the 1st page of this thread and see the Epoch Times logo on the video.
Now at least I know why you bring up the Epoch Times.

quote:
Do sources not matter to you?

Well, yes. A proven liar has no credibility.
Like the Covid numbers coming out of Florida and Arizona...

In this case, I just don't know...
Just because we may have religious differences, doesn't necessarily mean I think they are lying about the flooding.
Did they say something wrong? Do you have another, better, more accurate or reliable source of info coming out of China?
If so, post it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
These seem to be reasonable sources:

China's Three Gorges Dam Buckles as Country Battles Floods
TheStreet.com|4 hours ago
Parts of central China are experiencing rain to rival the massive flooding in 1998, leaving around one-third of China's farming output at risk.
Worst Flooding in Decades Raises Concerns Over China's Three Gorges Dam
Wall Street Journal|21 hours ago
Two months of unusually powerful rains in central and southern China have swelled the Yangtze River, triggering the worst flooding in decades and raising concerns about the Three Gorges Dam, the world's largest hydroelectric facility.
China Floods Call Into Question Sustainability Of Massive Three Gorges Dam
Forbes|1 day ago
Parts of China is literally up to its eyeballs in water, in what the Chinese government is calling a once in 100 years flood.

Addendum, from above "The operator of the dam was forced to admit last Saturday that it has "deformed slightly," with peripheral parts of its 1.5-mile span buckling. That displaced some structures and caused seepage for the 18 hours on Saturday and Sunday when water was discharged from the dam."

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Speaking of sources, I haven't seen a word of this on Fox News. I have only seen it here on the Forum.

I guess they are waiting for the crisis to either explode (if the dam breaks) or fade away (if it holds). . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Fox news 7 days ago

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Addendum, from above "The operator of the dam was forced to admit last Saturday that it has "deformed slightly," with peripheral parts of its 1.5-mile span buckling. That displaced some structures and caused seepage for the 18 hours on Saturday and Sunday when water was discharged from the dam."

This sounds disquietingly like the failure mode to which jaaron11 earlier referred.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have no reason to defend Falun Gong, but isn't the Epoch Times basically the Fortean Times with a glossier cover?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Until someone starts saying Falun Gong is the next coming of the messiah, we should just take the articles and videos at face value with the facts presented.

IMO.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
religious differences

A man who calls himself a spiritual leader who has openly claimed to believe in aliens has gone well past the point of normal religious differences, and I'm quite surprised to see you willfully lump your own faith in with this brand of kook. Why no Scientology-esque pushback? The dude believes in *aliens*. Not some allegorical alienish thing. But aliens.

Furthermore, this man ( Li Hongzhi ) is a former Chinese national who only founded this religion/movenent/cult in 1992 and now ne has this new brand of maybe-cult, and a 400 acre compound, on American soil, hiding under the 1st Amendment for who knows what ends, and they have a media outlet, quasi-covertly at that.

Smells fishy as fuck, to me. The whole thing. Mixed with elements of truth, obviously.

Now... this man, and his kooky bullshit, are all twisted up with the conservative right somehow, as the dude is somehow a Trump supporter. But why? None of it makes sense. It's very suspicious. And I don't mean some secret society conspiracy sense, but basic fraud and who knows what. Something is wrong with this source and that man and that group.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm quite surprised to see you willfully lump your own faith in with this brand of kook.

WTF!

-rduckwor

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Dude you just came into a thread and took a giant shit, off topic, because you wanted to attack the latent origins of the organization behind the guys behind the video, never once discussing or refuting the content of the video or even coming into the near-Earth orbit of the original thread topic.

Why?

(Not you Chellim, 46and2)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Dude you just came into a thread and took a giant shit, off topic, because you wanted to attack the latent origins of the organization behind the guys behind the video, never once discussing or refuting the content of the video or even coming into the near-Earth orbit of the original thread topic.

Why?

(Not you Chellim, 46and2)

The sequence of events was very simple.

I saw the thread, watched the video, thought little bits felt odd but whatever, then I came back the next day with the same fuzzy suspicion, and watched the video again, which caused me to Google the source, and after a wee bit of digging here we are.

The video source this entire thread is based upon, the supposed news organization it came from, and the perhaps-cult associated with it all, especially their openly alien believing "spiritual leader", are highly suspect. Like Scientologists suspect. Kookier than Pastafraians suspect. Up to something maybe suspect.

Period.

I'm surprised by the pushback.

I did not lose my critical thinking skills just because some aspects of the video align with my biases.

Yes, definitely fuck the CCP. Yes, definitely support Trump. Obviously. But it still reeks, this source and these kooky people.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I'm quite surprised to see you willfully lump your own faith in with this brand of kook.

WTF!

Is there some reason that you don't at least give the sign-on of the poster. You act like you're from MOSmile FYI, you're wonderful folks.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He he says his practicioners can levitate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIM5U8mkYPo

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
He he says his practicioners can levitate.

That’s pretty dam cool!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry, what does this have to do with the impending disaster?

Who introduced this stuff in the thread?

46and2, what's your problem? Have I not made it clear that this thread should have a serious tone? Should not have any jokes in it, no clever remarks? Shouldn't be drifted with the kind of horse shit I see right now?

What was unclear about that? Tell me, please.

A member admonishes you for this and you just blow it off and add even more of this fucking nonsense to the thread? What seems to be the problem, huh?

People have died and more people are going to die. Do you think you can control yourself? Or maybe you want to post some more of this nonsense.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hop on your last post Para. This aint no game sports fans, humans are at risk. HUMANS.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post